Author Topic: Persimmon thread  (Read 21313 times)

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
Re: Persimmon thread
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2015, 09:26:28 PM »
Just bought a 6 foot Tanenashi persimmon tree, cant wait for fruit. My favorite of all Persimmons, Read they do excellent in my climate. Wonder why there aren't any persimmon farms here.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2015, 01:21:01 PM »
I have been kind of wondering why they aren't more of a commercial fruit as well. I barely do anything to mine and they grow great here in Orlando. Probably the easiest tree I grow outside of an olive tree. Actually replacing my apple trees with persimmons as they go down. Three left but I don't think they are going anywhere any time soon so its too soon to start researching new persimmons to try.

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2015, 05:37:06 PM »
Persimmon is not a sub-tropical plant...may be Florida is too warm for it. Persimmons like mediterranea climate, but also sub-continental climate. Here in Italy they produce perfectly.....but we can't grow Jackfruit :-)

P.s.

Maybe the flavor of a Persimmon grown in Florida is not the same of one grown in colder place...this could be the reason why you don't find farm that produce it

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2015, 02:01:45 PM »

Waiting

• Northern San Joaquin Valley, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2015, 05:07:07 PM »
My mother has a 64 year old Hachiya tree. When it was 10 years old my father dug it up and moved it to its present location. It's been mostly ignored in terms of pruning, other than cutting out dead limbs. It's got a huge clump of mistletoe at about the 15 foot level. Every couple of years it looks like its last but then it comes back the next year. 500 fruits would be an underestimate.

I have no idea why he got or kept the tree, he didn't like persimmons, nobody in the family does. Each year my mother gives away a few grocery bags full but the rest goes in the garbage. Maybe I'll try  to make a few Hoshigaki this year.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2015, 11:39:13 PM »
My South Florida/Hudson fruit is ripening now.  They're not the world's greatest persimmons, but I'm just happy to be growing any persimmons at all.  They're moderately sweet with a slight bitter aftertaste.  Triumph persimmons are not ripening yet.
John

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2015, 08:50:30 AM »
Does anyone know if the Chocolate or Coffee ones grow true from seed? I would like them but I don't think that they are in australia.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2015, 10:00:36 AM »
Does anyone know if the Chocolate or Coffee ones grow true from seed? I would like them but I don't think that they are in australia.
I had black sapote when in Australia.  It was in the Cairns area.  I think it is pretty common.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2015, 01:08:48 PM »
Black Sapote and chocolate persimmon are two different trees although granted the black sapote is sometimes called that. As to the seed question, couldn't tell you. My two are not old enough yet to put out fruit.

dafo

• Slovenia EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2015, 05:40:38 PM »
Hello! I have a question about persimmon fruit disorder of some type but don't know what causes it and would appreciate it if there is anyone who can help with explanation. The problem appeares on fruit as circular black stripes going from side to side not vertically on ripe fruit. So what could be the explanation for that?

http://gartlc.mojforum.si/gartlc-about561-0-asc-75.html

On the link the first picture is about the topic.

Grouchomax

• USA, CA, Pasadena, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2015, 05:49:40 PM »
I have fuyu with tamopan and honan road grafts.
Tamopan is a large fruit that looks like a hamburger. Astringent though.
I never ate a fruit off the tree. The rodents always get them.

Same problem here but I saved a few with plastic clamshells.  Pretty much all others were eaten by rats at an average rate of two a day until I killed it with a good old fashioned rat trap.  I will take the same measures next year a lot sooner.

Jay