Author Topic: When should I harvest sugarcane?  (Read 2611 times)

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
When should I harvest sugarcane?
« on: October 22, 2014, 08:29:57 PM »
I'm growing sugarcane for the first time (in containers) and the stalk is ~3 feet tall.  I've heard that sugarcane will burn its sugars over the winter in a cool climate like mine, so I'm wondering whether I should harvest soon.  The daytime highs are currently low 70s F and lows in the low 50s F, but in November the daytime highs will be around 60 F with lows around 50 F and the rains will start.

Anyone else growing sugarcane in a similar California climate?  Also, should I harvest all at once at some specific time or do it incrementally?

The location I'm growing these in gets full day sun and no frost, so I was thinking of cutting the stalks but leaving the root system in place -- is that a good idea?

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Re: When should I harvest sugarcane?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 09:48:34 PM »
Sugar cane sugar is highest in the oldest cane.  Immature cane has a lower sugar content.  Consider leaving it until next summer if only 3 foot high.

Sugar content is also generally highest when the cane is under heat and/or water stress.  Give it plenty of sun.   You can cut some cane and leave others.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 10:21:56 PM »
I should add I'm not sure whether they're height constrained by the pots they're in -- they're in ~10 gallon pots, and in each pot there are ~10 stalks the tallest of which are about 3 feet above soil level.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 02:35:12 AM »
They sound like they are constrained by the pot but at three feet, they are probably still not ripe anyways. You can cut one of the canes for a taste test. The canes lower down sections are sweetest. I've found that the canes grow much faster in the ground.

I grow my sugarcane in ground and in pots. My in ground plants are three times the size of my potted canes which were planted at the same time.

Simon

barath

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 03:25:37 AM »
Simon, thanks for that info!  When do you think they might be ripe?  A couple of months?  Or will they lose sweetness over a cold/wet winter?

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 10:19:54 AM »
By the way, sugar cane is commercially replanted every three or four years.  On the other years, cane regrows from the same roots.  The biggest crop is in the second year.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 11:59:45 AM »
Here in Cali, I harvest in the second year, usually around winter but definitely before a frost.  If you planted your cane in very early Spring, they can be ready the first year but sugar content will depend on sun, fertilization and watering.  Best way to tell if its ready or not is to harvest a cane and try it.  BTW, many of the local ethnic markets sell sugar cane.  Most places that sell sugar cane juice will also sell you the cane. 

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 12:05:43 PM »
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=9607.25

See the post above for what my sugarcane in the ground looks like.  They are about 6-7 feet tall but only have about 2-4 feet of cane, I think.  Also, these were planted about mid spring so they probably have not fully sweetened up.  Some canes are over an inch thick.  The same varieties planted in a pot are only about 3 feet tall and only about the thickness of a sharpie. 

Simon

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 12:12:31 PM »
How many feet of cane (not including leaves) are you typically looking for prior to harvesting?  I am guessing at least 5-6 ft
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 02:23:22 PM by gunnar429 »
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 02:05:26 PM »
20 ft and 2 inches diameter if you're in southern China and planning to sell in a local market. It's amazing how they carry them on a bicycle.

Usually people harvest in the winter when it's dry. Here in California I'd say in November before the rain season, so you get the summer's growth.

To harvest you take your foot and step/kick at the base of the plant and it will snap. I tried to chop with a knife in the past and the grown ups laughed before showing me how they do it.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 06:18:32 PM »
I don't really look for a particular length other than a usable amount. The length of usable and ripe, meaning sweet, cane very much depends on weather condition, water and fertilizer so sugarcane can be ripe and have many feet of usable cane in just one season if grown in Florida or Hawaii but it can have just half that length and not be as sweet when grown in SoCal.

If you planted your cane from a new section of cane this year, your cane may not be fully sweet because it takes some time for the roots to grow out and get established. But, if your cane is from a patch that was established last year and it had this full year to grow, it can be ripe even if grown here in Cali.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 09:14:50 PM »