Author Topic: How should I package lychee fruit for mailing?  (Read 1658 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
How should I package lychee fruit for mailing?
« on: May 28, 2018, 04:43:32 PM »
I am considering selling the lychee fruit from my tree and shipping it via Priority Mail but I am not sure of the best way to package the fruit to ensure they survive the shipping. I was thinking about putting them in a plastic bag first but I think being in a sealed bag would ruin the fruit in the heat.

If the box even gets slightly squished in transit, it would probably crack all of the fruit.

I have about 100lbs of Mauritius still on my tree that I would like to sell this week, ship by tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

stressbaby

• Fulton, MO, zone 6a
    • View Profile
Re: How should I package lychee fruit for mailing?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 05:13:45 PM »
I don't know the answer about the shipping, but do you have a buyer? *hint*

Robert

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 05:48:43 PM »
styrofoam box and ice.

Add ice to the bottom of the styrofoam box, put your fruits in thick plastic bag and seal it correctly. Cover the fruit bag in ice,close the lid and seal it with a tape.

That is what I do for fishes.

Moh'd

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 06:03:16 PM »
I think it would be ok if you were to use the foam popcorn.  Throw some of that in a box.  Lychee in a bag,  more foam popcorn on top. 
As for the plastic bag, drop a moisture silica bag in it if shipping locally.
If shipping ... like to me in California,  Amazon sells gel ice packs.  Case of 48 for $13.96
Should help keep it cool for a cpl of days. And package should have arrived or will very soon.
Ok... I’ll be the guinea pig....you can send me a few to see how it works out😉...lol

321Chris

• Merritt Island, Fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 06:04:56 PM »
If using Priority mail I'd probably just ship as clusters (stems attached), with paper or possibly leaves as some type of cushion.  If it's not going to be chilled and/or "treated" then any type of polyethylene wouldn't work in my opinion.  Trapping moisture opens the possibility of fungus and leaving the stems attached will give it a little more shelf life at it's disposal. 

I have ZERO experience in shipping these btw.  I just know what we regurgitate when selling them at my neighbors fruit stand with the whole no plastic bags and so forth.

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 06:38:56 PM »
Whatever you do, don't freeze the lychee and then mail it. When it thaws it rots super fast (2 days they are black and gross, even if refrigerated).

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 06:45:23 PM »
stofoam box and ice gel packs....which variety do you have pm me if you have extra I'm interested in buying some

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 07:13:26 PM »
I shipped Mauritius this year, 7 boxes of the sampler size, maybe just over a pound each using the USPS priority. All seven made it with no damage. 2 days to Texas, Minnesota and Washington State. I packed them loose in the box. This was before Texas hit 100 degrees.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 07:32:16 PM »
Wouldn't it be easier to sell it locally? If you do ship it's good to cool them down a bit before shipping and send in sealed styrofoam box.
Oscar