Author Topic: Earliest / Latest season Loquats  (Read 5809 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Earliest / Latest season Loquats
« on: March 17, 2015, 10:43:23 PM »
I'm sort of getting hooked on eating Loquat and I only have two. One just gave up its last fruit tonight, the other is slowly giving up ripe fruit. I expect it to be done with its harvest period in a couple of weeks. Are there any loquat cultivars known to be fruiting earlier in the fall or much later into May (or even later) in South Florida?

The one that just finished was a "supreme" and the fruit is FAR better than the Christmas, it's not even a close race :-).

Regards,

Gary

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Earliest / Latest season Loquats
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 10:48:44 PM »
Most selections here are made for early spring fruiting (even late winter) to avoid peak fruit fly season. But in recent years they just seem to crop whenever they want. 2-3 times a year is not unusual. Is that the case in Florida too?

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 11:04:26 PM »
I'm sort of getting hooked on eating Loquat and I only have two. One just gave up its last fruit tonight, the other is slowly giving up ripe fruit. I expect it to be done with its harvest period in a couple of weeks. Are there any loquat cultivars known to be fruiting earlier in the fall or much later into May (or even later) in South Florida?

The one that just finished was a "supreme" and the fruit is FAR better than the Christmas, it's not even a close race :-).

I have been on the same tear Gnappi lol  I have found a few houses that the owners do not care for them, not sure what varieties, but definitely not as good as the Olivers I had at Excalibur (and tree I bought, but gotta wait till next year for it to fruit) These "ornamental" trees have been supplying me and still have decent fruit left. Even today I went to a local nursery to pick up some potting dirt and they had a fruiting loquat Oliver, had a few fruit left on it..........not anymore LOL could not help myself.  I think if I remember correctly, when I was at Excalibur, we were trying to find a Gold Nugget I think it was called, but it was not ready or we could not find a ready one.  The Olivers had plenty of ripe or close to ripe fruit, the gold nugget if I recall they said was not ripe enough yet. That was last weekend. But definelty would be interested in getting a Loquat that fruits at a different time than my Oliver. Gotta get me some Supreme to try.

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 11:20:28 PM »

Gotta get me some Supreme to try.

Well, mine is done till next year, so going up to see Charlie is the only way. For 25 bucks in a 15 gal pot it's little risk to buy one.
Regards,

Gary

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 11:34:28 PM »
Yeah its just getting up there lol. I had plans for the space I have left, but to be honest the loquat hit a sweet spot (or tart lol) in my taste buds so might replan and plant a second.

franciscu

• USA Florida Boca Raton 33431 (2.5 km from ocean) 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 09:43:04 AM »
The "supreme" from Charlie is the only loquat I have ever tasted, so I can't make a comparison judgment.  It was very enjoyable and I'm glad I bought a tree home. I bought a Wolfe loquat from Excalibur as well - taste-unseen. Looking forward to tasting it next year!

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 02:43:35 PM »
I'm now on the second round of the season from my Bradenton tree that should finish up in a week or two. Keep in mind that in South Florida you don't want a late fruiting Loquat or you will likely get some protein enriched (fruit fly worms) fruit.     

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 06:09:21 PM »
I'm now on the second round of the season from my Bradenton tree that should finish up in a week or two. Keep in mind that in South Florida you don't want a late fruiting Loquat or you will likely get some protein enriched (fruit fly worms) fruit.     

No problem there. Since they grow in bunches, I'd bag them.
Regards,

Gary

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 06:15:15 PM »
I have a friend who gave me some loquat fruits and they were smooth skinned, unlike many I have seen that have skin similar to peach. The taste is also more flavorful. He said that the seed came from fruits brought from Italy. Is this smooth skin loquat common?

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 06:36:31 PM »
You may refer to the category known as Vaniglia loquats, they are a local race of several cultivar which is grown in the island of sicily. They differ from standard loquat because of the lesser acidity and also are more tasty. Also, they are almost impossible to find for sale because the fruit is very easily damaged, and skin should be a little paler, so either you live in sicily and own a plant, or you won't find them on the market. I managed to get a plant just recently.
Even here this kind of loquat is pretty rare. 
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 06:58:38 PM »
Yes, the skin is easily bruised on the ripe fruits. I tried both and I like the smooth skin a lot better, it is 10 times sweeter and more flavorful that the fuzzy skinned variety.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 04:30:18 PM »
  • loquats are a popular landscaping tree. These types are all non-grafted as far as I know. FisherKing encountered these
  • if you plant a few grafted loquat varieties you will get  a longer loquat season just by the fact of diversity
  • because....
  • I doubt you can accurately pin down early-middle-late loquat varieties BUT...
  • lo and behold here is a chart for early-middle-late loquat varities >>>>>> http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg050
  • Is it accurate? I don't know
Professor Jonathon Crane http://trec.ifas.ufl.edu/personnel_faculty_jcrane.shtml is the author of the above loquat guide and chart. A real loquat enthusiast should contact him and ask him about early-middle-late loquat varieties. You could post his reply right here. BTW Professor Crane is in lots of helpful youtube videos
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=professor+jonathan+crane+mangoes&FORM=HDRSC3

\

« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 04:38:07 PM by zands »

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 11:14:05 PM »
Thanks for the link, it looks like I may be looking for a Thales or Wolfe soon :-)
Regards,

Gary

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 12:18:22 AM »
HAHA Thales or Wolfe it is LOL Get some early action, worse case just more loquats to eat at the same time. Has anyone tried eating miracle fruit before eating some of the more sour/tart loquats?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 12:44:47 AM »
Gold Nugget, aka Thales, is a later variety in SFla.  Keep in mind loquats are grown readily throughout the State of Florida and different varieties may be later in different locations.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:48:30 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 04:31:12 PM »
Gold Nugget, aka Thales, is a later variety in SFla.  Keep in mind loquats are grown readily throughout the State of Florida and different varieties may be later in different locations.

Well I may have to break down and take the long drive up there to get one, if you guys have a GN in stock.
Regards,

Gary

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2015, 08:24:30 PM »
We tried to find one last time, and don't think we could. That was a few weeks back. Gonna need another 6-7ft loquat Bullie LOL Wife wants to put a matching one on the other side of the driveway.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 10:41:42 PM »
We looked for a Gold Nugget  with ripe fruit.  I know there are plenty of 3 gal available.   I think tgere are 7 gal  but will have to check to confirm exactly what sizes are available.
- Rob

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 10:50:27 PM »
Lemme know if 7 gallon available. Looking for matching size to one I got so about 6-7ft tall

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 07:36:01 AM »
We tried to find one last time, and don't think we could. That was a few weeks back. Gonna need another 6-7ft loquat Bullie LOL Wife wants to put a matching one on the other side of the driveway.

Your wife is a gold nugget, my ex wouldn't allow me to plant fruit trees at all now I plant whatever I want, wherever I want them :-)
Regards,

Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk