Author Topic: Buy soil in bulk  (Read 11186 times)

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Buy soil in bulk
« on: April 08, 2015, 09:47:46 PM »
Looking to build up front yard garden and rather than buy 50 plus bags of topsoil/organic soil at HD, is there anywhere I can take my truck, lined with tarp and have them fill it up with dirt in Broward county?

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
Re: Buy soil in bulk
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 09:58:53 PM »
Looking to build up front yard garden and rather than buy 50 plus bags of topsoil/organic soil at HD, is there anywhere I can take my truck, lined with tarp and have them fill it up with dirt in Broward county?

I assume Florida is like California, where yes you can buy compost, mulch, and soil mixes in bulk.
I buy sand, potting soil, soil mixes, etc. by the scoop (front end loader) in my pickup truck.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 10:00:52 PM »

Vegetable garden?
- Rob

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 10:08:34 PM »

Look in Craig's list, I've seen it posted there.
Regards,

Gary

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 10:13:58 PM »
If you are looking for potting soil for vegetables garden Mobley Plant Word sale for $1.00 a bag. I drive down there once a year to get soil for my garden.
RichardN

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 10:31:29 PM »
No ornamental garden for the wife in  front of the house. Mainly some ground coverings, miracle fruit tree (gotta get something in there lol) and a few other partial shade plants she wants to put. We are building a 2 high brick retaining wall and need to fill in those areas. Plus will need some dirt to fill in hole where BLACk OLIVE use to be!!! So avocado tree hunting time is coming soon Bullie lol

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 11:16:14 PM »
No ornamental garden for the wife in  front of the house. Mainly some ground coverings, miracle fruit tree (gotta get something in there lol) and a few other partial shade plants she wants to put. We are building a 2 high brick retaining wall and need to fill in those areas. Plus will need some dirt to fill in hole where BLACk OLIVE use to be!!! So avocado tree hunting time is coming soon Bullie lol

You can order a truckload of mix fill ( sand with muck) from fill company.  Than hire a bobcat guy to flatten things out.  When I was building our corporate office, I had 350 dump trucks of fill which cost me 110.00 per dump truck.  I hire a bobcat service for three days to have him spread the fill which cost me 800.00.  But you can rent a bobcat and soread the fill.  I used MJS trucking in West Palm and they were very professional unlike some of the characters farther south.  So now I used them Exclusively building McMansions.  You can spec what type of fill you want by layers, They can get stuff cheaper than the Atlass folks!  Check your area and see if a fill company is closed by that specialized in construction works, it will be dirt cheap!😎
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 11:19:13 PM »
in central FL you can go through reliable peat...actually thinking of organizing a group order for soil...so we can split the cost of about 15 yards...of a custom blend that is too expensive for me to buy by myself.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 11:52:23 PM »
 :-\  don't need bobcats and fleets of trucks. Maybe just one load in my pickup  lol. Just rather do that than buy 50 bags of top soil at HD.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 12:00:02 AM »
:-\  don't need bobcats and fleets of trucks. Maybe just one load in my pickup  lol. Just rather do that than buy 50 bags of top soil at HD.

You dont want top soil from Home Depot.
- Rob

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 12:07:31 AM »

You dont want top soil from Home Depot.

I find it has  a lot of sand in it... you have to amend their top soil :-)

Regards,

Gary

goosteen

• Los Angeles CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 12:10:28 AM »
Check the city, some give it away free.  In my area, the water district has a massive indoor area where you drive in and shovel free compost in your vehicle.  Although I've heard some say you shouldn't grow stuff in it.  I grew stuff in it anyway worked pretty good.

The home depot manure at .50cents a bag also worked well when I installed a lawn.  I had them put a pallet in my truck, it was 30 bucks.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 06:54:53 AM »
A lot of the larger landscape supply stores and nurseries in far western Broward sell topsoil by the cubic yard. Just drive your pickup in and they will fill the bed up with soil. One that comes to mind is near the end of Griffin Road almost to US27, don't remember the actual name but you cant miss it huge piles of dirt and mulch.   

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 07:29:36 AM »
A lot of the larger landscape supply stores and nurseries in far western Broward sell topsoil by the cubic yard. Just drive your pickup in and they will fill the bed up with soil. One that comes to mind is near the end of Griffin Road almost to US27, don't remember the actual name but you cant miss it huge piles of dirt and mulch.   

Thanks, knew was not going crazy and had seen something of the sorts. Will take a drive down Griffin.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 07:38:14 AM »
Bushel Stop is the name. It is a couple miles west of my house.
Brandon

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 07:55:43 AM »
check with your local county recycling dept.

the next county over from me (leon) recycles all the landscaping waste from tallahassee, shreds it, composts it, and loads a ton of it on my utility trailer with a front end loader for free.  high humus about 20% dirt/ 80% decomposed-decomposing vegetable matter.  great stuff and free.  i get a load every couple weeks.  it's a little acid, so i throw a bit of fine grained limestone gravel in with it as i apply it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 08:02:07 AM by treefrog »
treefrog land and cattle company

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 08:01:14 AM »
check with your local county recycling dept.

the next county over from me (leon) recycles all the landscaping waste from tallahassee, shreds it, composts it, and loads it on my utility trailer with a front end loader for free.  high humus about 20% dirt/ 80% decomposed-decomposing vegetable matter.  great stuff and free.  i get a load every couple weeks.  it's a little acid, so i throw a little fine grained limestone gravel in with it as i apply it.

As that recycled product can contain a wide areay of possible contaminants that some plants will fail to thrive in, I would not opt for this route.

I agree with Tony and Brandon, buying bulk from Bushel Stop or some other commercial supplier is the way to go.  I know of places here in Palm Beach County but not in Broward without doing some research.
- Rob

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 08:08:36 AM »
"As that recycled product can contain a wide areay of possible contaminants that some plants will fail to thrive in, I would not opt for this route."

i've never seen any evidence of any problem along those lines.  the worst problem i've encountered is lots of mushrooms!  the stuff is so fertile, it sends up flushes of all kinds of mushrooms.  several years ago, i made a conscious decision to avoid fear, paranoia, and negativity.  that decision has worked well for me.

tomatoes started in bed of approx 75% county compost, 25% composted horse manure, with a dash of limestone, 10-10-10, and trace element mix.  thriving?  looks like it.  similar results with wide array of fruit and nut trees, vegetables, and flowers.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 08:19:44 AM by treefrog »
treefrog land and cattle company

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 08:15:38 AM »
"As that recycled product can contain a wide areay of possible contaminants that some plants will fail to thrive in, I would not opt for this route."

i've never seen any evidence of any problem along those lines.  the worst problem i've encountered is lots of mushrooms!  the stuff is so fertile, it sends up flushes of all kinds of mushrooms.  several years ago, i made a conscious decision to avoid fear, paranoia, and negativity.  that decision has worked well for me.

Keep in mind you are in the panhandle,  we are in SFla.  Big difference.
- Rob

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 09:36:53 AM »
Thanks will look into the Bushel Stop,......................but a couple miles west of your house is the Everglades lol

franciscu

• USA Florida Boca Raton 33431 (2.5 km from ocean) 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 10:53:19 AM »
Amerigro, located west of Delray/ Boynton sells a range of mulches. Comes in both bags and bulk. They sell a black Ecomix which seems pretty good.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 11:24:58 AM »
Amerigro, located west of Delray/ Boynton sells a range of mulches. Comes in both bags and bulk. They sell a black Ecomix which seems pretty good.

He needs top soil, not mulch.  Also, most of Amerigro's mulches are dyed and not recommeded for fruit trees.  They do have cypress but I do not believe it is pure and from the samples I have seen, it os of poor quality.

They may have top soil also but that is much further of a drive than a trip tp the Glades...
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 11:42:43 AM »
It's nearly impossible to find decent top soil in this area. Most sell a high ph junk mix with a lot of tiny limestone pebbles. When I was sourcing topsoil for the lot next door, the only place in the area that I found to have "decent" topsoil was Landworks Depot in Southwest Ranches. They have a loamy topsoil from the palm beach area. Runs like 20 bux a yard. PH was around 7.4. I think they also might have a good vegetable / flower mix. Best bet would be to call them and speak with the owner (forget his name). He's hard to get hold of, but he can give you a really good idea of a mix that will work for you.

Aside from that, if you want "good" mix, you have to hit up the orlando area or north. C&C Peat company (http://ccpeat.com/) has a good mix that they call "EnviroPeat," but good luck getting them to truck it to you. You'll have to find someone in your area that does business with them.

You could also try atlas peat (http://www.atlaspeatandsoil.com/)
Jeff  :-)

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2015, 01:34:29 PM »
Will take these leads for now, thanks. It is NOT for my fruit trees so average is OK lol Its for the wifes flower death front garden lol 

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2015, 01:50:35 PM »
Bushel Stop is the name. It is a couple miles west of my house.

Yes, thats the one. I have bought bulk topsoil a few times from them and my trees have been happy with it.