Author Topic: Review of Kampong Avocado  (Read 5062 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Review of Kampong Avocado
« on: March 16, 2014, 10:34:33 PM »

March 10, 2014: I went to Lara Nursery at SW 200 ST in the Redlands. He has 3 trees and Julian  mentioned he finds the flavor of this fruit very nice, nutty, remind it him of almonds. Most of the fruit in the trees had droped, so this fruit will have to be picked by March 1. He gave me a fruit, picture in the album with today's date. Full of scab, really bad. I'm not sure how this will mature but I will give it a tray. This tree probably needs to be sprayed 4-5 in the season to get clean fruit. Encouraging is the fact that Lara does not spray, so I hope with a couple of sprays it will suppress the fungus. Lara Nursery has grafted trees for sale. .http://www.larafarms.com/

March 16, 2014: The fruit given to me by Lara, ripped on Friday the 15, I had it today. What a pleasant  surprise. A lot better than expected taking into consideration the exterior of the fruit. The fruit weight in at 21.3 oz, the seed at 4.9 and the skin at 3.5 oz. About 12.5 oz of pure creamy avocado. The seed although large, was king of flat, so there is meat on top and bottom. I would not grow it because of seed size. The texture was creamy, remind it me of a Catalina, or Oro Negro.  Very good flavor. Hits of canistel. No dark fibers of streaks inside, no fibers, all softness and buttery, The fruit peels very well, the skin is thick, probably a good quality to prevent the scab from damaging the inside. The thick skin was not an impediment to feel the readiness of the fruit or to cause peeling problems, it peeled very easily.
I would prefer this fruit over Supermarket chain, 7-8 oz Hass  Yes flavor wise!!. None of the exterior damage got inside the fruit. This is probably not a commercial variety. It did ripen 5 days after it was picked, not a good quality for a commercial fruit, probably good for a home environment where you could have fruit in January, February and first week of March.  It really does not matter if you spray it or not, the scab has no effect on fruit quality. Dr. Richard Campbell was correct in his assessment that this is a good alternative for late fruit for the home.
I have top worked a tree and will experiment spraying the tree, and feeding it to see if we can get cleaner and larger fruit. You can follow it in my web  http://www.myavocadotrees.com/kampong-2-avocado.html
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Re: Review of Kampong Avocado
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 08:35:10 AM »
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 08:54:21 AM »
Thanks, Carlos!  Mike (Bender's Grove) has been talking up the Kampong to me for a few months now.  I ordered a tree and plan on picking it up next week. 
Glad to hear it is creamy, tastes good, has no fibers.  I like that since it doesn't ship well, it would otherwise be unavailable.  It's awesome to find fruits that are top-quality but are only practical for backyard growers. 

btw, Looking forward to the moncat when it finally has budwood.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:41:40 AM »
Avocado looks Great !, so many types ! and all look so good, Im going to need much more property ;).
Thanks for the Review Carlos.

Ed.
Zone 10

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 01:15:41 PM »
Nice review Carlos, thanks.
Adiel

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 01:47:35 PM »
Nice review Carlos! Thanks for sharing your experience.
Alexi

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 12:15:03 AM »
Thank you for the review Carlos, that Kampong looks delish, perhaps by holding back on the fertilization, the fruit will consistently hold on to the tree longer than the first week of March.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 01:42:28 PM »
this is an old thread, but I came across this report from Dr. Campbell.  It can be hard to find info on kampong so this was very informative...at least for me it was.

http://fshs.org/proceedings-o/2002-vol-115/90-92(Campbell).pdf
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 04:27:24 PM »
this is an old thread, but I came across this report from Dr. Campbell.  It can be hard to find info on kampong so this was very informative...at least for me it was.

http://fshs.org/proceedings-o/2002-vol-115/90-92(Campbell).pdf

Don't you have something better to do????   ;) ;D :P
- Rob

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 04:36:18 PM »
Nope.  It's a boom/bust cycle of 1. research & save $ for trees  2.  Blow saved money on said trees.   Repeat over and over again!  ;) :-[
~Jeff

GangstaRIB

• Clermont, FL | Central Florida Ridges and Uplands USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 12:44:11 AM »
How's this tree doing now Carlos? I was wondering if it held fruit until Mar 2019 and if it was ready to bear fruit this year at this time.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 02:17:39 PM »
This last year it did bear decent amount of fruit. This year may be a few, definitely an alternate bearer for me.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

GangstaRIB

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 02:30:52 PM »
So I guess as a Guatemala variety which all seem to have alternate bearer traits. I wonder if a lot of this has to do with high fruit set which you would get in your grove with so many varieties there to pollinate. I am curious if Guatemala varieties still have heavy alternate bearing characteristics if it is a lone  tree.

Anyway, did you have scab issues? How is the flavor of these vs your initial taste test in 2014? I will be planting one in zone 9b/10a on the west coast of FL myself. How does it compare to oro negro and monroe? It appears to have similar qualities at least in the pictures of the flesh. It looks less watery than a WI but less oil then hass. It sure looked good in your salad. Would you say this is more of a fork and knife avocado vs the hass guacamole style avocado? Does it have a decent amount of fat as well?

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 02:38:15 PM »
Flavor and taste are so subjective. What one likes the other hates. To give you an example. I do not like Oro Negro, Catalina or Nishikawa all great avocados good dry weight but I don't like what I call a Canistel like, egg salad taste. Kampong I like a lot, I did not get scab issue because I spray the tree 4-7 times a year.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

GangstaRIB

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 02:53:03 PM »
I think this is perfect then. The tree is a gift for someone that grew up on 'Florida avocados' in the backyard so I believe I picked the right one. Every time I buy a FL avocado is it hard and watery these stores just do not give us the good ones. It is a shame I would think living in FL we would get the best pick of the WI x G varieties. The one in the picture does not look watery at all and looks to have a good firm but creamy texture when you peeled it.

Will this one make it into production or still too early to tell? Is it like monroe but seems to have the drawback of alternate bearing?

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2019, 05:25:50 PM »
This has been around for years and has not made it into commercial production, no reason to. Monroe is a better all around choice
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

GangstaRIB

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2019, 06:00:53 PM »
This has been around for years and has not made it into commercial production, no reason to. Monroe is a better all around choice

Thanks for your feedback Carlos. And thanks for all you do in the avocado community. Your website has been great.