Author Topic: Help with Biew Kiew longan - Pest ID?  (Read 590 times)

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
Help with Biew Kiew longan - Pest ID?
« on: August 13, 2020, 06:36:22 PM »
I bought this tree a year ago. Honestly, I did not want to. It was a miserable looking tree (it actually looks "better" in this picture than it does in person) but I had gone to someone's house to get it and did not know how to say no.
The picture below is exactly how the tree looked when I got it except it had 2 more leaves on it. It has not put out even one new leaf in one whole year. I gave up on it a couple of months ago and relegated it to the dig out and discard list.

As a comparison, here is a Sri Chompoo now that I bought the same day from a nursery also as a 3 gal and planted at the same time.

I went to dig out the tree yesterday and saw signs of new growth! I can't believe it just sat there for a year and did nothing. Anyway, long story short, I would like to save the tree if it is going to grow but the few leaves that are on there are covered with small white bugs. I know it's not mealy bugs. Anyone know what they are and what I should use to get rid of them?

New growth

Tiny white bugs.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 11:10:30 PM by Jackson »

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Biew Kiew longan - Pest ID?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 11:13:30 PM »
Bumping...hoping for a response!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Biew Kiew longan - Pest ID?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 04:22:43 AM »
They look like mealy bugs or another white sap sucking bug brought by ants. Pest oil or even soap and water will help and you can get most off by hand. I would also control the ants.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk