Author Topic: Jackfruit - Golden Nugget vs Borneo Red  (Read 2614 times)

Orlando Goundan

• Windermere Florida
    • View Profile
Jackfruit - Golden Nugget vs Borneo Red
« on: August 29, 2020, 08:32:17 AM »
I have a 30 feet tall Golden nugget tree. Very disappointed with the fruits. No sweetness, taste, fragrance or color. Looks like a total waste of valuable time, space and energy to raise it.
I plan to chop it down and replace it with a Borneo Red. I already have a good MAI and a Tony Morris Red.
I would like to hear from the experts on the Borneo Red before I make the big change.
Thank you

Orlando Goundan

• Windermere Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Jackfruit - Golden Nugget vs Borneo Red
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 09:05:36 AM »
Any comparison to Red Morning will also be useful.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 09:14:07 AM »
I am no expert in jackfruits, there are members here who have tons of jacks growing in their garden for years. But i just had my first Borneo Red yesterday, thanks to forum member TonyinCC. This was grown at John Painter's grove in Pine Island, FL , we did not get to see the tree itself but the fruit was about 30lbs.  Inside was not red, it was pale orange, not amber colored but pale orange to yellow and very thin latex same as the Mai-3 that i tasted a few weeks back. The fruit pods were big with smaller seeds compared to Bangkok lemon which has big pods and big seeds in my opinion. It was crunchy and tasted like juicy fruit bubble gum, no musky taste at all. No subacid taste if you want it but a very clean fruit, and little to no latex helped me peel the fruit pods off very easily, very little mess. Putting the fruit in an ice box for a day before cutting might have helped with latex. I have tasted Mai-3, Amber, J-31, Black gold, Bangkok Lemon this year and in my opinion it comes in the same league as BL and Mais, probably BL has slight edge over it due to it's subacid taste component that i desire.

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 09:18:05 AM »

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 10:22:56 AM »
I’m axing my golden nugget this year along with black gold, orange crush, and sweet Fairchild. Keeping Bangkok Lemon, j31, j30, a j31/ns1 seedling. Waiting on amber, Tony Morris, red morning and Excalibur red to produce. I have one on the red morning tree so I’ll at least get to try it this season.

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 12:08:32 PM »
The flavor of my gold nugget was very good.  It was the texture that killed it for us.  Apparently, we are not a fan of soft flesh jacks.  It was a horrible experience when eating.  I cut my tree down to a stump and grafted crunchy fleshed varieties onto it.  Purple Alligator...that would be your best bet instead of just cutting them all the way down.  Graft onto them.  You will have the huge, mature root system to push the grafted portions.

Orlando Goundan

• Windermere Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 06:29:18 PM »

Thank you for that info. very useful

I am no expert in jackfruits, there are members here who have tons of jacks growing in their garden for years. But i just had my first Borneo Red yesterday, thanks to forum member TonyinCC. This was grown at John Painter's grove in Pine Island, FL , we did not get to see the tree itself but the fruit was about 30lbs.  Inside was not red, it was pale orange, not amber colored but pale orange to yellow and very thin latex same as the Mai-3 that i tasted a few weeks back. The fruit pods were big with smaller seeds compared to Bangkok lemon which has big pods and big seeds in my opinion. It was crunchy and tasted like juicy fruit bubble gum, no musky taste at all. No subacid taste if you want it but a very clean fruit, and little to no latex helped me peel the fruit pods off very easily, very little mess. Putting the fruit in an ice box for a day before cutting might have helped with latex. I have tasted Mai-3, Amber, J-31, Black gold, Bangkok Lemon this year and in my opinion it comes in the same league as BL and Mais, probably BL has slight edge over it due to it's subacid taste component that i desire.

Orlando Goundan

• Windermere Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 06:32:42 PM »
Please educate me ..... Purple Alligator?

The flavor of my gold nugget was very good.  It was the texture that killed it for us.  Apparently, we are not a fan of soft flesh jacks.  It was a horrible experience when eating.  I cut my tree down to a stump and grafted crunchy fleshed varieties onto it.  Purple Alligator...that would be your best bet instead of just cutting them all the way down.  Graft onto them.  You will have the huge, mature root system to push the grafted portions.

Orlando Goundan

• Windermere Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 06:35:30 PM »
Got it. You were referring to another Member
 :) :)

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 07:02:54 PM »
I have a well formed borneo going on the stand for sale tomorrow 38lbs

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2020, 07:06:46 PM »
I am not a fan of most of the gold series and they used to be common but are now superceded. J33 is one I grow and its pretty good and certainly a step up from J31. I have done my time wiith sloppies and latex as well as thin fleshed types. Timor red is another good one to try.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2020, 07:21:48 PM »
Borneo Red is a waste of space, also.  Go with Red Morning if you want a red flesh or Bangkok Lemon/Crunchy Lemon for yellow flesh.  Another good choice is a grafted Berry Seedling (will probably be hard to find).
- Rob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2020, 07:26:08 PM »
Have to admit I like Berry and its a tribute to Ron Berry. Just don't have it with Amber.

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2020, 09:16:19 PM »
There are 2 'true red' varieties of Jackfruits from ICAR Indian Institute of Horticulture Research in Hirehalli, Karnataka State India. As per the Principal Scientist and Head Dr G Karunakaran. Those 2 red types are named 'Siddu' ans 'Sankaran'. Because of Covid-19 my visit there was to be differed. The fruit sizes are globular and about 6 to 12 lbs, red and coppery red color, sweet and crunchy with mild aroma and less latex.
Other so called red jackfruits are deep orange. Hope this helps.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2020, 09:22:14 PM »
I have seen lots of orange fleshed ones including some that are deep tangerine but I have never seen a true red or even an untampered pic of a red. Sure would like to see a photo. Orange fleshed fruit is not always better than yellows in taste or lack of latex. Timor red,amber,NS1, Daeng suria etc are certainly not red.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2020, 10:55:20 PM »
Here is TM Red aka Timor aka Tony Morris Red.  That color is very true to what it was in person.

- Rob

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2020, 10:57:47 PM »
Have to admit I like Berry and its a tribute to Ron Berry. Just don't have it with Amber.

Why? Is the Berry not as good or is there some other issue?

Jackson

• Tampa, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2020, 11:06:14 PM »
  Another good choice is a grafted Berry Seedling (will probably be hard to find).

Rob - Why a grafted Berry? Do the seeds not come true?

Here is TM Red aka Timor aka Tony Morris Red.

I bought a Bangkok Lemon and a Timor Red from Excalibur a few months ago. BL growing well. TM is not doing much. Do you know if it is a slow grower?   (I asked for you when I went to Excalibur, hoping to pick your brain for as much info as possible but they said you no longer worked there)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2020, 12:57:31 AM »
Seedling jacks are pretty true but not always. Amber may shade Berry in a couple of characteristics but bother are excellent. There are so many really good ones available these days.

Orlando Goundan

• Windermere Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2020, 12:10:36 AM »

I will try to get Siddu seeds next time I visit Bangalore. Hirehalli is not far from there. But given the Covid situation, I think it will be 2021.
Tony Morris Red may have the same level of Orange/Red as the Siddu but sweetness, subacid, aroma, crunchiness and latex may be the differentiators.

Thank you.

There are 2 'true red' varieties of Jackfruits from ICAR Indian Institute of Horticulture Research in Hirehalli, Karnataka State India. As per the Principal Scientist and Head Dr G Karunakaran. Those 2 red types are named 'Siddu' ans 'Sankaran'. Because of Covid-19 my visit there was to be differed. The fruit sizes are globular and about 6 to 12 lbs, red and coppery red color, sweet and crunchy with mild aroma and less latex.
Other so called red jackfruits are deep orange. Hope this helps.

Orlando Goundan

• Windermere Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2020, 12:13:32 AM »
This is a beautiful RED. Hope it is sweet too.

Can't wait for my TM red to start bearing fruit. It may take 2 more years. About 8 ft tall now.

Here is TM Red aka Timor aka Tony Morris Red.  That color is very true to what it was in person.

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2020, 07:14:54 PM »

Rob,  i am growing Morning Red and so far it is a happy grower with no disease issues, probably a year more before fruiting. The color of Timor fruit looks very good, How do you compare with Morning Red- tree size, fruit size, latex, texture and taste wise?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2020, 07:49:19 AM »
You know I'm a fan of dwarf jackfruit now I have seen a couple of trees and fruit in the flesh. They are small leafed,have small flowers and fruit are kinda like grapefruit sized with small sections and small seeds. I don't know how big they can get but they are gracile and fruit at a small size. The flesh is yellow and soft and there is a bit of latex but they are compact above all else. I imagine they probably would be around in Florida.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2020, 07:51:34 AM »
BTW the red in the pic seems to have the same flesh colour as most orange types but the orange rag does set it apart.

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2020, 02:22:58 PM »
BTW the red in the pic seems to have the same flesh colour as most orange types but the orange rag does set it apart.

The orange fleshed ones i have had here in FL looked pale orange, Amber looked deeper orange and Mai-3 was similar in color to Amber. And even the Borneo red wasn't red so this one in the picture is an eye-catcher, i wonder how the taste compares to these other varieties though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk