Author Topic: How long do Artocarpus seeds stay viable  (Read 3456 times)

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
How long do Artocarpus seeds stay viable
« on: November 27, 2015, 11:34:46 PM »
Im sure there is variation on seed viability depending on variety, in general what would be a time span that would be acceptable for the seeds to still sprout and at what rates of germination success.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: How long do Artocarpus seeds stay viable
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 11:54:36 PM »
It all depends on how the seeds are stored or packaged since they are recalcitrant.

I've had Artoocarpus seeds arrive in the mail after almost a month survive due to excellent packaging. Granted they were all sprouted, but the important thing is they were alive.

If your question is in regards to already planted seeds, that depends. If they aren't sprouted after a few weeks they most likely have rotted.

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 12:16:36 AM »
The question was for mainly seeds being kept in storage, but i believe like you have stated if they are stored in conditions to keep them viable they would most likely sprout.

I should rephrase the question then, do they go into dormancy if kept dry and would they be able to sprout when planted.

georgesunny

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 02:06:49 AM »
The question was for mainly seeds being kept in storage, but i believe like you have stated if they are stored in conditions to keep them viable they would most likely sprout.

I should rephrase the question then, do they go into dormancy if kept dry and would they be able to sprout when planted.

Unfortunately, Artocarpus seeds do not have dormancy period, low shelf life and sensitive to environmental changes during storage. If the water content decreases to a critical level, the seed viability loses rapidly. Thus critical water content is important in maintaining seed viability. If the seeds are packed well to support germination, it will do great in several days of transit.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 02:55:49 AM »

The artocarpus seeds don't go into dormancy when dried out, they go into death.  ;D
Best way to store them is inside the unopened fruit. The fruit can start to rot a bit and seeds will still be ok. If you refrigerate the whole fruit so it doesn't rot then you can keep the seeds inside even longer. If you must take them out of the fruit keep them in well aired container slightly moistened in the fridge. Generally speaking the larger the seed the longer you can keep them. For example, jackfruit and chempadek seeds will keep much longer than marang or keledang seeds.
Oscar

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 12:37:49 PM »

The artocarpus seeds don't go into dormancy when dried out, they go into death.  ;D
Best way to store them is inside the unopened fruit. The fruit can start to rot a bit and seeds will still be ok. If you refrigerate the whole fruit so it doesn't rot then you can keep the seeds inside even longer. If you must take them out of the fruit keep them in well aired container slightly moistened in the fridge. Generally speaking the larger the seed the longer you can keep them. For example, jackfruit and chempadek seeds will keep much longer than marang or keledang seeds.

Oscar,

I received a package from you after 50 days in transit, and for my surprise had two good odorless Marang  and germinated seeds

Thanks

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 12:08:04 AM »

Unfortunately, Artocarpus seeds do not have dormancy period, low shelf life and sensitive to environmental changes during storage. If the water content decreases to a critical level, the seed viability loses rapidly. Thus critical water content is important in maintaining seed viability. If the seeds are packed well to support germination, it will do great in several days of transit.

Thanks for that info, I was curious on the general knowledge behind the artocarpus seeds and their viability, you both summed it up well.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 12:10:39 AM by buddyguygreen »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 03:11:58 AM »
Lightly drying seeds and having packing medium only lightly moistened can extend the life of jackfruit to many months without them over sprouting.Too dry and they die but too moist and they don't make it either. The same goes for other artocarpus that can be extended to months in bags with small holes, lots of packing media that is on the dry side. Practise at home with vermiculite and you may be surprised.

georgesunny

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 12:45:33 AM »
Lightly drying seeds and having packing medium only lightly moistened can extend the life of jackfruit to many months without them over sprouting.Too dry and they die but too moist and they don't make it either. The same goes for other artocarpus that can be extended to months in bags with small holes, lots of packing media that is on the dry side. Practise at home with vermiculite and you may be surprised.

Thanks Mike! Can we try this for durian?

ajeshcool47

• India,Kerala,Ernakulam,Tropical
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/ajeshthoppil.tr
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 05:01:45 AM »
in coco peat , if moisture level is perfect , can stay one month...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk