Everything Else > Tropical Vegetables and Other Edibles

Pandan (Pandanus amaryllifolius)

<< < (2/4) > >>

LivingParadise:
Very interesting uses people have shared!

--- Quote from: arvind on April 01, 2017, 10:00:59 PM ---Rats and mice hate the smell of pandan leaves

--- End quote ---

Another thing in favor of growing it in various places around the yard!

Mike T:
They are popular in Thailand and a variety of desserts use it.

junglevulture:
Its a delicious flavoring to add to rice. My favorite use, however, is wrapping meat in it.

The first time I ever cooked with it I was roasting beef and vegetables. Starting from the bottom: I took banana leaves and lined the entire bottom and sides of the pan, then placed onions on the bottom. On top of this I placed the ground beef with whole Pandan leaf wrapped around on top and bottom of it, so that the flavor permeates the meat well. Then I place the rest of my vegetables around and over that - garlic, curry leaf, turmeric, ginger, lemongrass, keffir lime leaf, with kabocha squash, chayote, and chunks of daikon radish. Bake til it smells done and boy, does it smell heavenly when it is.

I have also used the Pandan leaf in stews right at the end. Its only ever been explored using wet or moist cooking methods for me, so that's all I can recommend it for personally. I would like to try grilling some fish wrapped in that and banana leaf though.

It took me a while to get ahold of the plants that I have, but I've acquired 7 or so and they have been doing very well as low-light understory plants beneath the shade of my guava trees.

ryanscion:
Hi All,

For those who have grown Pandan (Pandanus amaryllifolius) here in the United States, ideally in Southern California, do you have any growing tips for this plant? I just acquired two of them and want to make sure they get a great start. Thanks in advance!

ryanscion

roblack:
It grows great here in South Miami area. One clump growing amongst bamboo, another underneath annona tree. It is opportunistic, and sets roots easy on its own when there is plenty of humidity/moisture.

In Cali, it might have issue with the dry air. Seems would do best in a pot and greenhouse. If it got watered a lot, probably would do well. Ask Brad aka forum member Spaugh or Simon. One of them may grow it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version