Author Topic: Chirimoya Soursoup hybrid sold in Spain?  (Read 1462 times)

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
Chirimoya Soursoup hybrid sold in Spain?
« on: December 06, 2019, 06:07:32 AM »
Hi,

This was sold as "chiriguana" on the market of Santa Cruz/Tenerife. The vendor explained me that it is a chirimoya/guanabana hybrid. To me it tastes like a chirimoya with a hint of boiled corn. I suspect it is either a chirimoya with bumps/spines (not uncommon around here) or an atemoya. Please help with id and if someone wants seeds i saved some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lqpIbb_5g8

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Chirimoya Soursoup hybrid sold in Spain?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 09:17:28 AM »
Atemoya and there is no soursop in it. Soursop and Cherimoya don't cross.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 05:44:53 PM »
This is an atemoya. Canarian people like to come up with names and make stuff up in order to sell something. Thats pretty common. 

Atemoya and there is no soursop in it. Soursop and Cherimoya don't cross.
Thats also my information...

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 03:47:44 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
I guess Canarian vendors come up with random names because they usually have no idea what they are selling.  I almost never get a proper answer when asking about mango or avocado varieties. Only the producers on the farmers markets tend to know more.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 05:20:34 AM »
Unfortunatelly most of the people don't know what they are growing or selling, and very often if they don't have the information, they just tell you anything, in order to give you any reply.

On the other hand, most of the people are not very educated, they only learn from hearing, which leads to many errors and mistakes   :(

MameyDisco

• Guayabero
  • Cuban Seeds Floridian Sunset
    • U.S.A., Florida, Homestead / Redland, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Tropication Rare Plants
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 06:13:56 AM »
Así es la vida... c’est la vie. Quite funny coming from such a polished culture. My descendants are from Spain, I don’t mean it as an insult. I guess they need more rare fruit education over there.

Unfortunatelly most of the people don't know what they are growing or selling, and very often if they don't have the information, they just tell you anything, in order to give you any reply.

On the other hand, most of the people are not very educated, they only learn from hearing, which leads to many errors and mistakes   :(
Tropication Nursery - https://TropicationPlants.com

DJ Mamey Disco's Softer Than Satin MIXES - https://www.mixcloud.com/softersatin

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 08:08:15 AM »
I am not talking of Spain in general, but only Canary islands. If you compare regions in Spain, CI are the worst in terms of (school) education. In the (industrial) north, things are better. Here are also some very intelling and educated people, great researchers and horticultural aficionados, but unfotunatelly they are a little minority...

In my opinion the reason that we do not have a more intellectual society is the warm climate, which makes the people lazy... it's more fun hanging up at the beach, then reading a book... ;D

Over the years I have tried to introduce tropical fruit and donated a lot of plants to many people, but its very hard to wake up the interest for new things. And when I explained the difference among cultivars, they mixed up the plants and lost the tags. One year ago I gave a friend 10 diffenrent labeled pitayas, told him to keep the labels so he could later identify them... one year later he does not have a clue which ones he did plant...   :o ???

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 03:55:40 AM »
What is even more shocking is how fast agriculture is disappearing in the Canaries. They are even importing subtropical fruits grown in Europe.
In the 20th century they were mostly giving up dry, infertile land but in the last decades vast spaces of fertile, well watered land have been abandoned. They say they can make more money with less effort in other jobs. However, the price of the land is so ridiculously high that people who want to move to the islands for agriculture have no chance to buy a farm.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk