Author Topic: Wanted....improved variety capulin cherry seeds  (Read 1969 times)

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
Wanted....improved variety capulin cherry seeds
« on: May 09, 2019, 11:36:45 PM »
I hate to ask because it is the third year in a row, but looking for capulin cherry seeds.. Hopefully of an improved variety or if anyone in Mexico buys some at a fruit stand and the flavor is good.  2 years ago terminated them but killed them in sun next spring.  Last year didn't germinate.  Not giving up, though!!!
Would also consider catalina Island cherry seeds if anyone has any.
Just let me know your price and cost of shipping.  Thanks!!

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted....improved variety capulin cherry seeds
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 08:35:13 AM »
Try encantofarms.com. They list capulins as available. I
D

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 09:23:08 AM »
I hate to ask because it is the third year in a row, but looking for capulin cherry seeds.. Hopefully of an improved variety or if anyone in Mexico buys some at a fruit stand and the flavor is good.  2 years ago terminated them but killed them in sun next spring.  Last year didn't germinate.  Not giving up, though!!!

I know the location of a street tree that I think is Catalina Island cherry in the East Bay that produces good tasting fruit (though the seeds are large), if you ever have a chance to pick some (I don't live there so I can't get any for you) -- here are the GPS coordinates: 37.877921, -122.257048

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 01:07:41 PM »
I’ll have Emerich #1 seeds in the next month. Scion grafts easily as well. I’ll try to post pics when ripe.

jlohr

• Belize
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 03:23:45 PM »
Tradewinds has Capulin and Catalina island Cherry seeds.  I have sprouted the Catalina island cherry and still waiting on the capulin cherry to sprout.

http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/prunus-lyonii-catalina-island-cherry-seeds
http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/prunus-salicifolia-capulin-cherry-seeds

FruitFly

• USA, CA, Sunset Zone17, USDA Zone10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 06:08:35 PM »
La Verne nursery in southern CA sells capulin trees wholesale. You can special order them through a Lowe’s. If you have a good relation with a nursery person there. Can take a few months. Not sure if they are seedling grown or grafted.

Paraponera

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 10:02:09 PM »
Hi,

"Raulglezruiz" is a great seller and has access to them once or twice a year.  Tradewinds fruit also has some, but I recommend asking Raul first.

Cheers,
Paraponera
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better."

Albert Einstein

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 12:23:37 AM »
Thanks for the replies, but I think all of the capulin cherry varieties listed are run of the mill.  Would like an improved variety with better tasting fruit.  Will try to contact Raul Rodriguez and see if he has any available.  But, I appreciate all the help.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 07:25:25 AM »
Seeds are not going to come true to type. Most of the better tasting ones are selections from wild populations, genetic flukes as such. I dont think there are any improved landraces or breeding programs that would offer seeds with much probability of improved offspring.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 11:21:24 AM »

I know the location of a street tree that I think is Catalina Island cherry in the East Bay that produces good tasting fruit (though the seeds are large), if you ever have a chance to pick some (I don't live there so I can't get any for you) -- here are the GPS coordinates: 37.877921, -122.257048

Thanks Barath. I didn't know they ever tasted good.
Shane

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 11:47:32 AM »
Emerich #1 is a selected variety that tastes better than any seedling I have tried , doesn’t have the resinous flavor. I’d think the full story on this selection is out there but all I know is George Emerich was in South America looking for good flavored Capulin’s and this was the one. Super easy to graft these vigorous seedling’s.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 06:41:44 PM »
I found a really nice tasting catalina island (possibly holly leafed) cherry today. Texted a friend and he said he found a nice one up in LA. Are they pretty common?

I wanted more, but its really all pit, so i sucked on that for a while.
Shane