Author Topic: Vaniglia Sanguigno Blood Orange VS Cara Cara navel orange  (Read 2601 times)

dunnyd

• northridge
    • View Profile
Vaniglia Sanguigno Blood Orange VS Cara Cara navel orange
« on: May 06, 2019, 02:48:06 PM »
Vaniglia Sanguigno Blood Orange VS Cara Cara navel orange
Which would be better to grow in a container in southern california? Which produces more fruit and which would you guys say taste better?

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
Re: Vaniglia Sanguigno Blood Orange VS Cara Cara navel orange
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 03:43:02 PM »
Different kind of oranges.

Cara cara has a bigger fruit and the fruit is seedless also so in this sense is better. Blood oranges are often very small, a little bigger than a tangerine and will have seeds often

But smaller fruits are better for growing in a pot. Less weight, less broken branches. Cara cara can have a few thorns also.

Blood oranges are more decorative in a pot, because they have a stunning red skin.

Cara cara "should" taste better because is a navel orange with red lycopene (a carotenoid) and is sweet; whereas Blood oranges should have more complex (tart) flavour given by purple anthocyanins (a flavonoid) that are astringent. Some people like it a lot, other not so. As Antocyanins are a defense against frosts, need some cold to produce solid flesh coloured fruits instead a mottled aspect. It seems that Vanilla Sanguigno does not have a very dark pulp. The darker the flesh, the more astringent the flavour...

... And more stunning "blood" juice in a glass. It seems that Vanilla Sanguigno does not produce a red juice. The juice of Cara cara has the usual orange tone. In this sense looks like a tie.

If Vanilla is a blood orange selected to lose the blood traits (tart flavour, red flesh and dark juice) that make blood oranges interesting, I think that the seedless, bigger, and more uniformly coloured inside, Caracara is a clear winner
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 04:09:35 PM by pvaldes »

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 03:52:26 PM »
Cara cara has excellent flavor. I find most blood oranges to be insipid.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 03:58:16 PM »
Different kind of oranges.

Cara cara has a bigger fruit and the fruit is seedless also so in this sense is better. Blood oranges are often very small, a little bigger than a tangerine and can have seeds

But smaller fruits are better for growing in a pot. Less weight, less broken branches. Cara cara can have a few thorns also.

Cara cara "should" taste better because is a navel orange with red lycopene (a carotenoid) and is sweet; whereas Blood oranges should have more complex (tart) flavour given by purple anthocyanins (a flavonoid) that are astringent. Some people like it a lot, other not so. The darker the flesh, the more astringent the flavour

Having red skin, blood oranges should produce a stunning tree tree in the garden in any case and provide a more stunning orange juice, but as Anthocyanins are a defense against frosts, you will need a little cold for good results. Not all blood orange varieties have a good colour inside
Hi! Great explanation! I have one sanguinello, one tarocco meli, one moro, one fravola and two cara cara. The only one that give fruit for now is the sanguinello and gives a lot! I love this fruit. I mix her juice with usual navel orange and it's a great clear red juice with a hint of red berries flavour! YUMMY!!!   :P

Mando408

• San Jose, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 05:59:37 PM »
I have a Cara Cara, it's a navel orange with pink flesh. Don't really know what else to say about it, the only difference from regular navel oranges is the color.

I've never tried Vaniglia Sanguigno but I believe that's the acidless blood variety, correct? If so it probably couldn't really be compared to the other two, some love acidless oranges, others hate them. The only blood orange I have is Toracco #7, imo it's superior in flavor to the Cara Cara, especially the red segments that have a touch of raspberry to them. Cara Cara has it beat in productivity so far and it also started flowering and fruiting a year sooner.
Ironically, those two are the only varieties I don't have in containers.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 09:49:59 PM »
A Sanguigno is not in the same league as a Cara Cara.  Cara Cara is an excellent tasting fruit.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 10:56:45 PM »
I have a vaniglia sanguingo but it is very small and I’ve only had one fruit.  It was decent, no red coloration though

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 03:15:49 AM »
Vaniglia Sanguigno is not a blood orange,its color as that of Cara Cara is due to the presence of lycopene carotenoid.
It is also an  acidless orange, most of the people do not like such fruits.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

dunnyd

• northridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 12:42:47 PM »
Ah, thanks for all the fast reply's. Helps alot.. guess ill be getting a cara cara tree.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 08:03:01 PM »
Vainiglia tastes like dishwater to me. Somehow I managed to eat a 5 gallon
bucket of the fruit.