Author Topic: Lucs Garcinia production  (Read 2285 times)

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
Lucs Garcinia production
« on: December 17, 2017, 05:41:01 PM »
🗯
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 08:23:18 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Lucs Garcinia production
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 06:16:27 PM »
I doubt anybody knows as there is no data. It's never been commercially planted.
Oscar

Frog Valley Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 06:42:26 PM »
🗯
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 08:22:12 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 12:34:01 AM »
As observed in the wild there's some trees, or better say a few that set a lot of fruit, lots, sorry but I don't have an idea how many pounds or kilos would that be, taking a wild guess 250 pound maybe? Those are mature trees, then there's another who set moderate amounts of fruit and then for the most part the ones who doesn't, why don't? I don't know, Omar Páez member of TFF came this February with the Botanical director of Yale University and another botanic from UNAM, We took them to collect flowers for a DNA test, Omar is doing his thesis about this Garcinia, he said he'll have some news for this summer, but haven't received any feedback yet, that's is why is good to have a few grafted trees to ensure production,
El verde es vida!

Frog Valley Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 10:03:02 AM »
🗯
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 08:18:36 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 04:31:28 PM »
I doubt anybody knows as there is no data. It's never been commercially planted.

I would guess Luc or Raul would know.  I have 100-200 seedlings planted in full sun, full shade and everything in between.  Nothing seems to bother them, seems the perfect tree for Florida.
Observing trees in the wild will give some idea, but not completely accurate, as wild trees are going to behave and perform differently than cultivated trees.
BTW, we do have something that bothers them here, the mangosteen caterpillar. It seems to prefer other types of garcinias more, but will chew the leaves on this one also.
Oscar

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 01:56:06 AM »
So Raul would you say a high percentage of the trees don't set fruit? If you were to guess, what percent would you say do fruit?

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 04:32:56 AM »
So Raul would you say a high percentage of the trees don't set fruit? If you were to guess, what percent would you say do fruit?

As Oscar and Raul noted, wild trees are going to behave differently than trees in cultivation. You must realize that most wild trees are not growing in full sun and are not being cared for by humans as commercial/back yard plantings. It's not like a human grabs the wild fruits and disperse them naturally in perfect spots and then babies them. Wild trees are subject to the conditions where they sprout and grow and those conditions are variable. I observed them in their natural habitat during fruit development season and saw many of them growing in full shade - and though they had signs of previous flowerings, those trees were not carrying any fruit. Some wild trees get "lucky" and end up in better growing conditions than that (sunlight) earlier in their lives or right away and will have a different more full growth (compared with trees growing in deep shade) and likely produce more because of it. But those would still be different from commercial/yard plantings. This is true with most if not all wild fruit trees compared to commercial/yard plantings.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 04:47:59 AM »
Raul has also posted a video in the past showing an example of a wild tree growing and producing in better conditions than those in deep shade.
Link:
https://youtu.be/QEOfY_vsTfY
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 04:49:35 AM by dwfl »

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 01:04:28 PM »
Ah I see. Thanks 🙏🏻