Author Topic: Mexican Limes  (Read 1740 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Mexican Limes
« on: November 03, 2014, 06:41:37 PM »
I noticed that my tree produces multiple crops throughout the year which is nice... One thing I'm curious about is the seed ratio... Sometimes my Limes are seedless or close to seedless, while other times they are loaded with seeds. Is there a way to keep the seed ratio down?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Mexican Limes
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 05:19:28 PM »
I'm not sure, but I would imagine that if the number of seeds varies it is due to the presence of seasonal pollinating insects and/or nearby citrus trees.

I noticed that my calomondins have very few seeds and they are known to be seedy.  They bloomed in my closed greenhouse where there are no bugs.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 06:53:44 PM »
Unfortunately Mexican limes (AKA Key Lime, West Indian lime, also known as Bartenders lime) is by nature a seedy variety.  As Brian wrote, growing the tree in isolation might reduce the number of seeds per fruit, but will not totally eliminate seeds.  Mexican limes are highly polyembryonic and therefore comes true from seed. - Millet 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 09:52:42 AM by Millet »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 07:33:32 AM »
I get about 2-3 seeds per lime.   I have both the thornless and thorny trees.  Thorny produces larger fruit compared to the thornless.  Great touch while quaffing THE best reposado tequila (and we've blind tasted a hundred) - Casa Noble Reposado.  It's pure silk.  ;D

Been getting these all year:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk