Author Topic: Recommendation on Decorative Vine/Ivy/Climber for Home  (Read 900 times)

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Recommendation on Decorative Vine/Ivy/Climber for Home
« on: November 05, 2019, 11:39:09 AM »
Hey guys, I know this is not fruit related, but since there is a lot of knowledge on this forum, I figured someone might be able to help. I live in South Miami and my home has a tower type entrance. My wife and I want to plant a thick vine that grows like ivy that will climb and cover the tower.  Something dense and vigorous (yes I understand frequent maintenance will be mandatory).  I see these vines many placed down here but don't know the names of the plant.  Does someone here have experience with these in the South Florida area and can recommend cultivars??? Thank You.

-Jon

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendation on Decorative Vine/Ivy/Climber for Home
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 12:04:40 PM »
For fruiting vines, passionfruit is an idea one, maybe kiwi or grape.  For flowering again passtionfruit or... jasmine?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 07:01:50 PM »
Gac fruit is similar, has make and female plants so you need to plant at least four to get a good chance of fruit.
The vines live a long time and develop a swollen stump. Once established they are unstoppable.
Momordica cochinchinensis

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 08:00:51 PM »
Telfairia ,the oysternut grows giant as a vine and makes somme soid of pumpkins with giant edible seeds( called oysternuts).
There is a member here that sells somme seeds of this rare plant.
The seeds themselves are too expensive to be sold as a food  and they are mainly sold for propagation except Africa.