Author Topic: Adding sulfur via soil plugging  (Read 1145 times)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Adding sulfur via soil plugging
« on: November 05, 2019, 03:33:33 PM »
my soil pH is too high, I need to apply elemental sulfur granules.

Most sources say it is not very effective, or at least very slow-acting, if simply applied to the soil surface. It's recommended to work it into the soil to a depth of several inches.

I have established trees in this area, so i cannot till it into the soil, etc.

My thought was to use a 6 inch depth soil plugger (ProPlugger) at a safe distance around the trees to pull out plugs and fill with sulfur granules and either native soil, compost, or peat.

Good idea or stupidity?

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Adding sulfur via soil plugging
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 04:06:50 PM »
Wow, that’s some sick Googling skillz!
Thanks!!

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 08:05:48 PM »
It will work but its not a good idea because bacteria needs surface area to grow on it.
More surface area= more place for bacteria to live on it.
Also as you see in the link previously posted,the sulpur is put in the hole with nitrogen on top of it.
But instead of mixing yourself sulpur with nitrogen you better buy nitrogen pellets coated in sulphur like here we have urea coated in sulphur .

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 12:43:18 AM »
what is an example fertilizer of a sulphur coated urea or nitrogen coated  in sulphur?

It will work but its not a good idea because bacteria needs surface area to grow on it.
Also as you see in the link previously posted,the sulpur is put in the hole with nitrogen on top of it.
But instead of mixing yourself sulpur with nitrogen you better buy nitrogen pellets coated in sulphur like here we have urea coated in sulphur .

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 09:51:19 PM »
what is an example fertilizer of a sulphur coated urea or nitrogen coated  in sulphur?

Im not familiar with the brands and i always have in mind the ingredients not the name of the brand.
If you would ask at a phytopharmacy shop you should find it.
Its not verry common thogh or at least is not common where i live where almost nobody grows low ph fruits such as blueberryes on a comercial scale.
I ordered it from the internet,local shops.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 10:42:37 PM »
plugging is very smart, I have my gardener hammer in 2-3 holes with a sledgehammer and a steel pipe to delivery 12-12-12.  About 12" deep.

Since so easy, and another person mentioned spreading it out, just do with steel pipe but instead do 3-4 holes around perimeter of tree.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk