Author Topic: Whip graft.  (Read 1353 times)

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
Whip graft.
« on: June 22, 2019, 09:19:35 AM »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Whip graft.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 12:58:45 PM »
Laaz thanks for the whip graft video.  I have never done a whip graft. There seems to be a lot of cutting for the whip graft.  I think a  simple cleft graft would be a lot easier.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 03:14:47 AM »
That looks like an improved whip graft: a "Z graft"; The "Z" makes the joint more stabil too. I probably should be doing more of this, I think it provides a larger cambium contacts than the regular cleft graft.
Thanks for the reminder,  Laaz!

By the way; surprised to see the way he split into the bag, ( assuming to give more humidity?) , I guess it's practical...!  ;D
Sam

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 04:22:53 PM »
Whip grafting was my favorite graft with apples.  I would keep the scion in the refridgerater until the in-ground stocks showed new spring growth and graft the still dormant scions on.  I didn't both with the slit in the scion and stock.  Just made the diagonal cut in both and put them together with masking tape.  No bag, I was half way through the next graft by then.  Success was near 100% from my first graft.
But pure citrus don't go completely dormant, so I haven't tried on citrus.  But citranges , I think, go completely dormant in the northern part of their range.  So citrange on tifoliate might work using the apple way. 
I'm trying hard to graft citrus the way citrus people do it, but success rate is low so far.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 04:54:05 PM »
Inverted T budding works almost 100% as long as the rootstock bark is slipping.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 05:33:19 PM »
In all grafting, especially citrus, timing is everything. You can usually have 100% takes if you have a little skills and the timing is right.