Author Topic: Etrog cultivation question  (Read 1310 times)

xthomasx

• Germany
    • View Profile
Etrog cultivation question
« on: March 22, 2017, 06:45:42 AM »
Hallo everyone,

Greetings from wet Germany... I have a brief question:

Last year in Israel, I bought an etrog and cut it open. As expected it had few juices but a lot of seeds. I was reckless enough to plant a handful of them. Nothing happened for quite some months, but now I am suddenly left with about 30 strong seedlings.

Where do I go from here? My region has heavy winter frost, so I won't be able to keep them outside, not even in pots. And I have no space for a greenhouse either.

For now, which conditions would you recommend? Which soil, which watering and fertilizing schedules, full or half sun...?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
Re: Etrog cultivation question
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 07:47:14 AM »
Answer to your question is the holy grail of indoor citrus growing. In fact no one know correct answer.
During spring, summer and fall without frost, the pot can be outdoor - it is good for plant, it prefers rainwater etc. During winter it can be indoor at windowsill in room where temperature is not too high. Seedlings of lemon do well in such conditions. Everything else is in heaven.
You have to count on heavy pests attack during winter, especialy mites etc. During winter be careful with irrigation, less is more in this case, irrigate only when you see signs of water insufficiency on plant.
There are techniques for indoor cultivation similar to techniques used by those who grow marijuana, it means additional light, air humidifiers etc. But you can try the way I described above.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:58:01 AM by Radoslav »

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 09:22:46 AM »
Congratulations!  ;)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 01:14:05 PM »
When you  plant your seedlings in a container, just be sure that whatever medium you use, that it has GOOD drainage.  Etrog require a medium with approximately 25 percent aeration. Water when the top 2 inches feel dry.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 04:29:45 PM »
The number one killer of young citrus seedlings is stem rot (Rizoctonia).  At first water only in the mornings, and then put the tree in an area where it gets full sun.  Doing so will quickly dry off the surface of he medium and thus prevent fungus.  You can begin lightly fertilizing when the first true leave appear. Be sure the medium you plant the trees in have GOOD drainage. The best to you and your seedlings.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 11:55:20 AM by Millet »

xthomasx

• Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 06:35:54 AM »
Thanks everyone for the help. I will see where I get such soil. Commercial orchid soil seems too fluffy, so I will need something else...

How do such germs spead? Is it specific for citrus? Is it spreading via commercial fruits, or from citrus plant to plant only? In the latter case I should be reasonably safe because noone here has any.