Author Topic: Banner year for sugar apples  (Read 1593 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Banner year for sugar apples
« on: August 10, 2018, 01:27:19 PM »
It's been a L-O-N-G wait but this summer I am FINALLY getting to enjoy my sugar apples. Yesterday I picked nearly 20 lbs of fruit and more is still coming from both trees. It has been 4 to 6 years for them to get to this point but it was well worth the wait.  Now if only my soursop and custard apple would catch up I'd be in annona heaven.

Jeez I never expected this long of a wait.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 01:29:21 PM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Banner year for sugar apples
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 02:27:59 PM »
Congrats!
I hope to one day be in a similar boat, in "annonaceae" heaven with Asimina triloba fruits in a few years.

What cultivars do you have?

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 04:51:57 PM »
I have a Kampoung mauve, geffner  and San Pablo. as well as 2 unknown sugar apples which are the two  ones doing so well. 
Regards,

Gary

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 10:40:40 PM »
I have a Kampoung mauve, geffner  and San Pablo. as well as 2 unknown sugar apples which are the two  ones doing so well.

Is there much of a problem with critters stealing them?  I have one lone sugar apple on one of my trees (thought I got all the flowers off, I apparently missed one).  If there is, I was going to try and take some measures to stop the critters.

I have 3 sugar apples and one tobago sugar apple.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 11:02:50 PM »

Is there much of a problem with critters stealing them?  I have one lone sugar apple on one of my trees (thought I got all the flowers off, I apparently missed one).  If there is, I was going to try and take some measures to stop the critters.

I think you are mixing up custard apple with sugar apple.  I believe the Tobago Pink is a custard apple (A. reticulata).
- Rob

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 11:44:19 PM »

You are correct, I did get them mixed up.

I think you are mixing up custard apple with sugar apple.  I believe the Tobago Pink is a custard apple (A. reticulata).
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 08:31:27 AM »
It's been a L-O-N-G wait but this summer I am FINALLY getting to enjoy my sugar apples. Yesterday I picked nearly 20 lbs of fruit and more is still coming from both trees. It has been 4 to 6 years for them to get to this point but it was well worth the wait.  Now if only my soursop and custard apple would catch up I'd be in annona heaven.

Jeez I never expected this long of a wait.

No pics?????
- Marley