Poll

Best mango variety that comes closest to tasting like a "Haden" without the fiber

Kent
1 (10%)
Other
2 (20%)
Bailey's Marvel
5 (50%)
Beverly
0 (0%)
Osteen
0 (0%)
Ah Ping
0 (0%)
Van Dyke
2 (20%)
Spirit of '76
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: POLL: What mango comes closest in flavor to "Haden" without the fiber?  (Read 3212 times)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Hey All

Better varieties not withstanding, there are still people who insist upon a Mango with "Haden type" flavor and insist upon a Haden even tho there better varieties that would fill the niche.  Of the mango's listed which comes closest to "traditional" standard Haden Mango flavor?  Really is there any reason to grow Haden if there is a variety that tastes EXACTLY the same with less fiber & better disease resistance?

Fruit quality & flavor is the only consideration for the purposes of the poll.  If you select "other" please list your choice in the comments and I'll add it to the poll.

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:29:37 PM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: POLL: Best tasting Standard "Haden Type" Mango with Traditional Flavor
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 04:42:10 PM »
When your saying Haden, I'm talking that to mean traditional Florida Mango taste.
If thats the case I'd say Edward all the way.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 04:48:02 PM »
Yes traditional old fashioned Florida flavor and Haden is often used to describe it as the entire southern half of the state is dotted with Haden & Haden seedling trees so that is what a lot of Floridians use as the traditional benchmark since that is what they grew up with or was in their grandparents yard.

There are a lot of people who still pimp Hadens as being "the best" because that's all they've ever had.

When your saying Haden, I'm talking that to mean traditional Florida Mango taste.
If thats the case I'd say Edward all the way.
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 09:21:08 PM »
Edward
Bailey's Marvel
Ah Ping
Osteen
Beverly

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 09:38:37 PM »
Thanks Squam

Sometimes I'm almost reluctant to include LZ or Edward in a poll because they often run away with it and it's hard to see how the others rank.   You obviously know your stuff.  Is it a safe to say that Glenn, Kent & Valencia Pride are VERY close in flavor and the only reason to have more than one of these trees is for seasonal reasons or tree characteristics?

In your opinion next to Edward what is the best mango with standard traditional "Haden type" flavor.  If a noob came to you saying they wanted to plant a Haden what's the next closest variety would you would try to talk them into getting instead?

Edward
Bailey's Marvel
Ah Ping
Osteen
Beverly

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 10:16:55 PM »
  Is it a safe to say that Glenn, Kent & Valencia Pride are VERY close in flavor and the only reason to have more than one of these trees is for seasonal reasons or tree characteristics?

They're a little different from one another. Glenn has the best bouquet of the 3 but also the mildest flavor typically. Valencia Pride's flavor ranges considerably season to season and can go from being quite good with high brix one year to mediocre the next. Kent is the most consistent and has a more upfront peachy flavor compared to Valencia Pride, whose flavor notes are more drawn out with slightly less acid component. Kent and Glenn are closer to each other in flavor when Glenn is experiencing drier conditions than normal.

So while they can be lumped together as falling under the 'traditional Florida mango flavor', they are different enough that I generally wouldn't describe them as *very* close in flavor.

In your opinion next to Edward what is the best mango with standard traditional "Haden type" flavor.  If a noob came to you saying they wanted to plant a Haden what's the next closest variety would you would try to talk them into getting instead?

If they wanted something that tasted identical to Haden with superior disease resistance and yield, I'd recommend Van Dyke. Van Dyke tastes exactly like Haden. You would have difficulty distinguishing between them in a taste test at the same stage of ripeness.

If their location was not too far in the interior and disease not as much a concern, Bailey's Marvel is quite good. Its often compared to Haden, but it's superior due to higher brix and lack of fiber.

Cogshall is another good alternative.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 10:21:20 PM by Squam256 »

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 01:12:08 PM »
I agree with Squam, Van Dyke is the closest tasting to the Haden. ll the rest except for Bailey's marvel, I think are not even close to Haden. Edward like a haden???? Get real, Edward is so much better :) I like Haden but it is VERY susceptible to anthracnose, at least in my yard in Brevard county, FL. I think the best choice on that list of Haden flavor and best all around mango would have to be Bailey's marvel...

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 01:13:16 PM »
Now, best tasting on that list would definitely be the Edward.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 01:21:47 PM »
Bailey's Marvel
Edward
Beverly

Jessg333

• Honolulu, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 06:05:53 PM »
Taste wise, how do Hayden and Edward differ?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 06:57:54 PM »
Would Spirit of 76 also fall into this category?

To me, Haden has a strong tropical mango flavor that is rich and sweet, it also has a decent amount of fiber which detracts from its eating quality.

Edward to me has less of that Tropical mango flavor but it is rich and sweet and has an added creamy buttery flavor component. Edward is fiberless.

I really like Baileys Marvel when it’s on. It tastes somewhat similar to a Haden but has additional depth of flavor and is fiberless or at least nearly fiberless.

Simon

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 08:18:31 PM »
Taste wise, how do Hayden and Edward differ?

Edward is considerably sweeter and the turpenes are more mellow. No fiber in Edward either.

Would Spirit of 76 also fall into this category?

Yes