Author Topic: Glenn mango snapped in the wind  (Read 1564 times)

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Glenn mango snapped in the wind
« on: August 27, 2012, 05:51:27 PM »
I came home from work today to find the top of my 'Glenn' mango laying on the ground.. the graft union had partially snapped. It was staked with a stake close to the trunk of the tree,  but the ground became so saturated the stake pulled up and I guess a strong gust snapped it. There was about 1/8th an inch of bark still attached, with the rest of the graft breaking in a clean but rough pattern.

I did the following:

1) re-staked the tree, preserving the strip of bark that remained in tact
2) cut a piece of garden hose into two halves, and place it over the wounded area on both sides, then wrapped nylon ties over the area until it was secure
3) wrapped that area in plastic
4) pruned about 2 feet off the top of the tree.

It seems sturdy, i'm wondering.. is there any hope of recovery? Should i cut off more foliage? after the 2 feet i removed its about 4 ft tall with a few 2 foot long scaffold branches.  I planted this about 7 months ago and it's been a real champ at growing, I'd hate to lose it.

I'd add pictures but I already did the "repair" so I don't want to undo it, if it would help seeing the completed 'repair' or shape of the tree I can take some. Thanks for the help!
- Colin

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Glenn mango snapped in the wind
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 06:13:02 PM »
You'd probably be better off just buying a new 3 gallon and sticking it in the ground.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk