Author Topic: Nishikawa Avocado - Aloha & Mahalo  (Read 41512 times)

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
Re: Nishikawa Avocado - Aloha & Mahalo
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2013, 10:17:36 PM »
Mark,
Thank you for the comment!  I have a fujikawa that came from Hawaii and the tree is growing at a "snail pace".  I noticed that it has two grafts and I was wondering why it has an interstock. Is it to increase disease resistance, or is it to keep the tree small???  Does your tree also have an interstock?  I am thinking about getting a fujikawa budwood and graft it onto a choquette rootstock. My guess is that it will grow much faster than the current tree I have.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2013, 10:40:49 PM »
I gave Mike the fruit.  It is from a tree that is about 8 feet or so, in a 100 gal pot.  It had 8-10 fruit this year and some lost in the spring & summer wind storms.
- Rob

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2013, 09:02:31 AM »
Mark and Berto I think some Hawaiians grow slow in colder areas. I have a Malama grafted 10 months ago and hardly grew to 15 inches very thin branches.
The Muragishe is doing much better as well as the San Miquel. The Yamagata is ok but I dont think it likes it here but i will top work a tree on Oscar suggestion. I m very encouraged with these avocados and seem to have a future in So Florida for those who like more oily avocados.
After I top work trees soon with the potted plants I plant to graft some 3 gal on Waldin seedlings with the bud wood I have left.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2013, 09:26:54 AM »
Mike do you have more fruit hanging on the tree? How old is your tree?
It is sure looking like a new great cultivar for So Florida

I think a lot of the Hawaiian cultivars will do well in Florida, not just Nishikawa. Been trying to get folks in Florida to plant them for many years. Nishikawa is not even that great by Hawaiian standards. Malama is rated number 2, and Kahaluu is rated number 1 in chef taste tests. In public opinion taste tests Yamagata was rated number 1. Don't think Nishikawa was even included in those taste tests.
Oscar

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2013, 10:39:29 AM »
I think friday is the full moon. I will be top working a tree with Yamagata.
Is Malama a slow grower or a small tree?
I grafted a malama on mexicola two slow growers in here to see if the tree keeps small in our area. Mexicola grows. 25% of west indies varieties here so I hope the combination keeps the tree small for yards with limited space.
I wonder if anyone has experience with mexicola in So Fl?
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2013, 10:54:23 AM »
I grafted a malama on mexicola two slow growers in here to see if the tree keeps small in our area. Mexicola grows. 25% of west indies varieties here so I hope the combination keeps the tree small for yards with limited space.

Malama is neither small nor a slow grower here.
Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2013, 11:12:02 AM »
Interesting!  Hawaiian experiments!
http://www.hawaiifruit.net/Avocado.pdf

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2013, 11:21:38 AM »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2013, 11:51:14 AM »

I find that for some plants a few degrees could make a diference
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2013, 04:13:16 AM »

Both in winter and in summer Miami has higher average temperatures than Hilo. That is true for both daytime and nightime temperatures. So your location believe it or not is more "tropical" in that sense. Only problem are sudden arctic blasts where you live in winter.

I find that for some plants a few degrees could make a diference
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2013, 05:37:17 AM »
@Carlos
The full moon was last week. http://www.moonphases.info/full_moon_calendar_dates.html     >>>>>>  Dec 28 2012

If you want to graft with full moon indications then you do so while the moon is waxing (increasing). It starts waxing ~14 days after the full moon. So last full moon was Dec 28. Moon starts increasing on January 11th 2013 which means water and activity rising so better time to graft. I have tried this moon phase stuff but cannot give you accurate results

Waning= moon is decreasing
Many cultures have had moon based calendars so there is probably something to it, factoring moon phases into agriculture when you want new growth on something you just did. Meaning planting, sprouting and grafting. Being moon calculated the Chinese New Year shifts every year and same for Jewish holidays.... Because it does not synchronize with our European derived calendar that is a solar (sun) calendar
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 05:54:38 AM by zands »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2013, 07:31:16 AM »
You are right Zands. I looked at my moon app and saw friday was a new moon and wrote full.
To me this is not scientific, I have the general impression that grafts take better on new or full moon. Almost as important our broadcast calls for several days in the 80's so I think I will do it today.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2013, 10:19:07 AM »
You are right Zands. I looked at my moon app and saw friday was a new moon and wrote full.
To me this is not scientific, I have the general impression that grafts take better on new or full moon. Almost as important our broadcast calls for several days in the 80's so I think I will do it today.

Better to think in terms of waxing and waning. New plant growth is a better bet during the ~14 days of an increasing (waxing) moon. This ~14 day period starts after the new moon. Maybe save a few grafts for this ~14 day period and compare.

You have ~14 days. Not one day. IIRC the middle of those 14 days is when the moon's influence is the strongest and best time to plant seed, sprout seed and graft. It is like baseball when the batter steps into a pitch

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2013, 04:47:59 PM »
Zands if I get you correctly, the next new moon is January 14, 2013. The next 14 days will put you to January 28, with the best day being January 21, 2013?
I did dome grafting on December 18 Waxing moon and they are already pushing out like crazy.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2013, 07:39:42 PM »
Zands if I get you correctly, the next new moon is January 14, 2013. The next 14 days will put you to January 28, with the best day being January 21, 2013?
I did dome grafting on December 18 Waxing moon and they are already pushing out like crazy.

Estimado Carlos, you have more than one day. Let us say the four days surrounding January 21. The idea is increasing light and tidal pull on all water and all plant juices from the moon. This starts right after the new moon which is empty and non-visible.

http://www.plantea.com/planting-moon-phases.htm
Increasing Light -- New moon to full moon
Examples of garden chores to do by the light of the moon:
(NOTE: These are general guidelines. I highly recommend referring to Ed Hume's Planting Guide for specific planting tasks):

Repot and groom houseplants
    Sow seeds of plants that grow above ground (for helpful tips on starting your own seeds, click here.)
    Fertilize
    Graft fruit trees
    Plant evergreen and deciduous trees

marcovgv

• Davie Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2013, 11:50:03 AM »
Carlos thank you for the recommendation on the Nishikawa Avocado. I received it today via fedex from Top Tropicals. The Avocado looks good its about six foot tall,  and the leaves are all green except for a couple  at the top which have some edges which have a little brown on them. This is the first avocado i add to my land, I live in Davie on a acre. My idea is to pot this one in a large pot. any recommendations on what soil mixture i should make?

I am really interested in planting more varieties of Avocado. I was going to plant Florida Hass or Day but what do you recommend i plant next?

I love the taste of Hass avocado but from what i understand the Florida variety is not as good. maybe ill try to get my hands on more hawaiian varieties. 

Thank you for all the information! i look forward to keep you guys updated with pics and details

marcovgv

• Davie Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2013, 12:41:29 PM »
I have searched for sources of Kahaluu , Linda and Malama but have not found any...

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2013, 12:42:53 PM »
Day is probably the best tasting early season avocado in Florida.  Forget the FL Hass, its not that good.  Other quality avocado you should consider are Lula, Hall, Ore Negro, and if you want to try something like a Hass, maybe try the Fuerte as its not exactly like THE Hass but it is the parent of the Hass.

While there are supposedly some other great Hawaiian cultivars, I have not yet tasted them, do not know for sure how they will fare in Florida, and they are not readily availqble in Florida.
- Rob

marcovgv

• Davie Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2013, 01:19:10 PM »
I think im going to buy a 25 gallon Day avocado from www.BrookstropicalNursery.com Nice people i was talking to about avocados before christmas but couldnt order due to unexpected trip to Brazil. they also deliver to davie which is a plus!!! these are the ones they offer for sale.  Bernecker, Brogdon, Catalina, Choquette, Day, Donnie, Florida Haas, Hall,
Lula, Marcus Pumpkin, Monroe, Pollack, Russell, Simmonds, Winter Mexican

Im still on the hunt for some Kahaluu, Malama  Top tropicals just sent me a email that they have Yamagata instock so i ordered and its on its way!

thanks for the tips on the Day avocado Btooks tropical also recommended the same as the best in Florida.

Day is probably the best tasting early season avocado in Florida.  Forget the FL Hass, its not that good.  Other quality avocado you should consider are Lula, Hall, Ore Negro, and if you want to try something like a Hass, maybe try the Fuerte as its not exactly like THE Hass but it is the parent of the Hass.

While there are supposedly some other great Hawaiian cultivars, I have not yet tasted them, do not know for sure how they will fare in Florida, and they are not readily availqble in Florida.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 01:35:49 PM by marcovgv »

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2013, 01:58:20 PM »
You probably spoke to my wife Zena, although I really do like the flavor of the Day, I eat them with a spoon plain.. I had some really good Simmonds this past year, Catalina too! I would not pick a "best cultivar" of anything even if waterboarded unless I ate the fruit with the person and we came to agreement! I have grafted several Kahaluu Avos from Oscar (Fruit Lovers), most of which have been sold unfortunately.  I havent grown one to fruit though so I cant say they will be the same quality as they are reported to be in Hawaii.  Now that you have found this forum I think you will find a lot more sources available to you locally to feed this crazy habit! You will find a lot of really good people here! I would recommend joining the Broward Rare Fruit Council as a start!!

marcovgv

• Davie Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2013, 02:05:04 PM »
You probably spoke to my wife Zena, although I really do like the flavor of the Day, I eat them with a spoon plain.. I had some really good Simmonds this past year, Catalina too! I would not pick a "best cultivar" of anything even if waterboarded unless I ate the fruit with the person and we came to agreement! I have grafted several Kahaluu Avos from Oscar (Fruit Lovers), most of which have been sold unfortunately.  I havent grown one to fruit though so I cant say they will be the same quality as they are reported to be in Hawaii.  Now that you have found this forum I think you will find a lot more sources available to you locally to feed this crazy habit! You will find a lot of really good people here! I would recommend joining the Broward Rare Fruit Council as a start!!

how cool is that Small world isnt it!. Yea i spoke to your wife regarding the avocados. I am waiting for my friend to confirm if hes going to be ordering one with me so we can have them both brought down at the same time. ill let you know probably tomorrow. if your willing to part with a grafted kahaluu if you have any left ill take it off your hands also along with the 25 gal day im going to buy. your right she didnt say it was the best but did say you liked it alot! i want a atemoya also .. ill call you tomorrow to disscuss.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 02:32:41 PM by marcovgv »

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2013, 05:24:49 PM »
Marcovgv,
I may be able to locate you a small kahaluu.  Please send me a private email.  bertonsilva@hotmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2013, 11:32:58 PM »
I would suggest making request of Hawaiian avos to Top Tropicals. I know they get large pallets shipments of plants from Plant it Hawaii here on Big Island.
Oscar

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2013, 12:03:26 AM »
I would suggest making request of Hawaiian avos to Top Tropicals. I know they get large pallets shipments of plants from Plant it Hawaii here on Big Island.

That is good to know. Makes me feel better about the authenticity of the nishikawa that I recently bought from them.

So far for Hawaiian avo's I have a Kahaluu, nishikawa, and yamagata. My grafts failed with malama so I will give that another try soon.

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2014, 03:52:44 PM »
It is 2 years since the Nishikawa comments posted here and I'd like to add my 2 cents. I last picked one of my Nish's the end of November. My tree was in the ground for 3 years in November. (my Yamagata has never blossomed but is about 20 feet tall after being in the ground for 3 years. It is partially shaded and a spectacular specimen)
My Dec Nish weighed 23 ozs and was unmarked from animal or disease. It took 2 weeks to ripen. I had left for a cruise and took it with me and it ripened
lightly on the 3rd day. The one I picked the month before weighed 23 ozs too. The Oct one had a penny sized brown spot when it ripened that was a tiny bit on the flesh by that spot. This Dec one was perfect.
We opened it with another couple we were with. We all agreed it was a very special fruit. I personally am not interested in any avocado I have ever tasted but the Nish was different and I could eat one every day with ease. I am now pulling any tree citrus or mango that underperforms in growth ot taste or other quality and replacing them with Nishikawa. I can't wait to have enough to share with friends and family. Any avocado that is sub par will be topped and the Nishikawa will be grafted if it's not needed to eat at a specific time period.
It is Dec 29th 2014 and I still have 4 on the tree and they all look about 23 ozs. I am picking each one 6 weeks apart to see how long they stay on and how far out they may ripen???? If I still have a good one on in April it would be the holy grail!!!!!!!!!  But unlikely.
Does anybody who is a year or 2 ahead of me in S Florida have a strong opinion from their own experience when they think the optimal time to pick the Nish is?