Author Topic: Finally a good Florida Mango!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2326 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Finally a good Florida Mango!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: June 22, 2018, 01:14:26 PM »
So after tasting a few boxes from Dr. Cambell and Sqaum… I was a bit disappointed, especially after tasting the world renowned Lemon Zest and popular Coco cream.... well those 2 could barely beat a Tommy Atkins in the form I ate them in...Just extremely washed out flavor and bland, most varieties I tried full of jelly seed as well except LZ. Now of course this is most likely to blame because of the early and rainy Mango Season.

Well the box that came in today was from DR. Cambell full of Sweet Tarts and Carries... Unfortunately All 6 carries are extremely over ripe and mushy! however the Sweet Tarts arrived just fine and 2 with ok ripeness. Well decided to cut my first Sweet tart open... literally half of the Mango was jelly seed. right off the bat I thought deja vu all over again with a jelly seed washed out flavor.... Well the first bite around outside of the jelly seed, was a bite that literally punched me in the mouth, stopped chew mid stride, and had me stuck for a moment marveling at this GOD DMAN GREATNESS!!! Ultra level sweetness mixed with sour patch kids candy sour.... literally a Euphoric experience!!!

I can't wait until the day when I retire from the Navy and get back to my Southern Ca home and Plant 2 of these.... JF can I give you a 4 years heads up and deposit to me 2 trees started so I can a 15 gallon ready for the ground? I know my Lemon Zest I tried were washed out, but I just can't see something tasting better than Sweet Tart Mango... That sweetness and acidity is just amazing, also tasted some mild complexity nuances in there somewhere near the skin as well. All in All the Florida Mango hype is real!!!! especially SWEET TART.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
Re: Finally a good Florida Mango!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 02:00:48 PM »
I dont think this mango season has been that great so far, but the coconut creams I got from the Campbell were good and I've heard good things about the mangoes coming from Squams farm. You might have gotten unlucky or It might be that shipping is effecting the fruit.  Your description of carrie sounds about right.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 02:05:13 PM »
ST is probably my #1 fav mango at the moment. But, I'm a little surprised that yours had jelly seed. I don't think I've ever seen a ST with jelly seed before.

I have seen more jelly seed than usual this year, and the early LZ and coco cream were indeed bland. LZ normally starts to ripen in July, so a June LZ would be really early and understandably bland.

The vast majority of my coco cream crop, though, has been outstanding. Rob had suggested that coco cream needs a few years before it starts showing what it's capable of, and my trees have finally started strutting their stuff. I had a huge crop of really delicious mangoes. It is certainly not an in-your-face, intense mango flavor like ST or pina colada. However, the flavor is very smooth and pleasing with a complexity of flavors ranging from pina colada to citrus to coconut.

PS -- Carrie is not a shipping mango. For one, it bruises ridiculously easily. Secondly, it is not very good when fully ripe. The carrie should probably never be shipped unless the shipping time can be confined to a day or two and the mango can be wrapped in a way that completely prevents damage to due brute mail workers chucking parcels around.
Jeff  :-)

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 03:29:18 PM »
PS -- Carrie is not a shipping mango.

Agree. It's also not an eating mango or a growing mango. Blech!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 03:54:29 PM »
Carrie is normally a divisive mango, with some who adore it and others who hate it. However, I believe that the majority of the latter group have never tasted a carrie at the right stage of ripeness. Offering a carrie at the perfect stage to a yard visitor usually results in a "wow -- this is what a carrie tastes like!" reaction.

It is a delectable mango -- a perfect mix of sweet and tart without that funky odor -- when eaten before the skin is yellow (just a couple of small yellow patches and any amount of give to pressure are good indicators). Moreover, a carrie should never be allowed to ripen on the tree, which is what most novice growers do, assuming that best flavor is obtained by allowing fruit to mature on tree. NDM is similar -- best picked green, ripened indoors, and eaten when the skin is mostly green but with a faint yellow hue.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 03:57:23 PM »
Beauty about sweet tart is its shelf life, at least from my yard has held over 12 days and get wrinkly but does not turn into mush stage. But my best mango experience was Lemon Zest also from my yard, brix meter was crossed, over 30 or 32 max, very strong orange flavored, hard to beat but even harder to set fruits, LOL.  If you put 3 mangoes on table that include LZ, ST, PC, I might be confused which one to pick. Just need to know when to pick PC.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 03:59:49 PM »
Carrie is normally a divisive mango, with some who adore it and others who hate it. However, I believe that the majority of the latter group have never tasted a carrie at the right stage of ripeness. Offering a carrie at the perfect stage to a yard visitor usually results in a "wow -- this is what a carrie tastes like!" reaction.

It is a delectable mango -- a perfect mix of sweet and tart without that funky odor -- when eaten before the skin is yellow (just a couple of small yellow patches and any amount of give to pressure are good indicators). Moreover, a carrie should never be allowed to ripen on the tree, which is what most novice growers do, assuming that best flavor is obtained by allowing fruit to mature on tree. NDM is similar -- best picked green, ripened indoors, and eaten when the skin is mostly green but with a faint yellow hue.

In india all indian mangoes are picked green and ripened inside, have not heard every picking ripe from tree.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 04:05:23 PM »
ST is probably my #1 fav mango at the moment. But, I'm a little surprised that yours had jelly seed. I don't think I've ever seen a ST with jelly seed before.

I have seen more jelly seed than usual this year, and the early LZ and coco cream were indeed bland. LZ normally starts to ripen in July, so a June LZ would be really early and understandably bland.

The vast majority of my coco cream crop, though, has been outstanding. Rob had suggested that coco cream needs a few years before it starts showing what it's capable of, and my trees have finally started strutting their stuff. I had a huge crop of really delicious mangoes. It is certainly not an in-your-face, intense mango flavor like ST or pina colada. However, the flavor is very smooth and pleasing with a complexity of flavors ranging from pina colada to citrus to coconut.

PS -- Carrie is not a shipping mango. For one, it bruises ridiculously easily. Secondly, it is not very good when fully ripe. The carrie should probably never be shipped unless the shipping time can be confined to a day or two and the mango can be wrapped in a way that completely prevents damage to due brute mail workers chucking parcels around.
Yes the Carrie's were extremely bruised, the Sweet Tart i ate was also bruised a little, I'm not sure but maybe that effected the internal breakdown/jelly seed... So Sweet Tarts shelf life is a major plus for shipping? Any other elite tier mango's with great shipping?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 04:33:03 PM »
Yes, sweet tarts have long shelf life. Can also be picked very green and will ripen with good brix. Very versatile mango. Only major drawback might be appearance -- small and green.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 06:42:49 PM »
I dont think this mango season has been that great so far, but the coconut creams I got from the Campbell were good and I've heard good things about the mangoes coming from Squams farm. You might have gotten unlucky or It might be that shipping is effecting the fruit.  Your description of carrie sounds about right.

I went 0 for 27 with 12 LZ and 15 PPK from same source. Not luck, early picking plus rain.  If I hadn’t had LZ for years in peak form....Tommy Atkins tastes better...

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2018, 07:46:26 PM »
Clay...nice to see you back online.   Sweet Tart flavor has been slowly growing with me.  It took me a while to get acclimated to the indochinese flavor.  I recall one of sweet tart's only drawbacks was its poor flesh to seed ratio...but not gonna stop most people from cherishing it.
Warren

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2018, 08:14:49 PM »

I agree that Carrie does have a narrow window of when it's at it's very peak of flavor. But nobody can say they are a Mango lover and claim that PERFECTLY RIPENED Carrie sucks.  Carrie has a classic sweet rich indulgent mango flavor.  Saying you actually dislike Carrie is no different than saying you dislike the FLAVOR of a Haden.  Carrie doesn't have to be anyone's "favorite", but to say it's a bad tasting mango puts one in a very small & limited group of people.  Carrie is the #1 favorite best selling Mango every year at Truly Tropical according to Chris for a reason.  Sales numbers don't lie.  The only argument that can be made against Carrie is that it's a bit softer mango when ripe.  Not counting all the newer Zill varieties Carrie is still the mango tree I would have if I could have only one.
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.