Author Topic: Lyndall Canistel  (Read 1555 times)

echinopora

• View Profile
Lyndall Canistel
« on: August 14, 2018, 02:15:07 AM »
There are few grafted Canistel cv’s available in Australia and poor information on grafted varieties from seedling selections. Daley’s sells a one called Lyndall. It is supposed to be a moist variety. I picked up a Lyndall a few years ago and could find no real information about it. It gave a few fruits this year so here is a comparison with some other moist type seedlings that are at a friend’s place.

#1, Lyndall, #2 left to right

Lyndall

Canistel seem to ripen from the seed out, so really seedy varieties are often quite moist, but have terrible flesh recovery. Fleshy Varieties can be dry near the skin. Seedy ones also seem to ripen faster/uniformly which means that there is less time for skin lesions to grow. I tend to let Canistel sit until the first skin blemishes threaten to become rot spots.

#1- Rounded with a point, furrowed skin. 4-5 large seeds.  Stem end cracks at egg yolk stage. Ripens quickly and has moist to wet flesh with classic Canistel taste. Flesh between seeds is fibrous and core is corky.

#2- Elongated with bulge at seeds. 1-3 medium seeds. Very rarely cracks. Takes a while to ripen and if handled carefully can be very moist. This one got a rot spot before it was fully ripe. Good flesh recovery.  Classic Canistel taste. Minimal flesh between seeds, and seed cluster separates out easily.

Lyndall- Top shaped. The 2 so far had 1 seed, might be poor pollination. Fine cracks develop on ripening, but don’t furrow into flesh. I wanted to compare taste to the others so ate it before it was fully ripe. Texture was creamy and smooth like mousse. Less musky taste than the others but still classic Canistel.

Long story short Lyndall was good. If it didn’t crack on ripening that would be nice. Lyndall would have held out for another day or two and gotten moister had I let it. It was better than most of the seedling fruit I’ve had and better than Aurea. For what is available in Australia I think you’d be better off with a grafted Lyndall than risking a seedling.

Rob

Canvo

• Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Lyndall Canistel
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 07:41:34 AM »
Very interesting to read your post Rob, particularly because I have a grafted Lyndall which is still too young to fruit. I have a seedling tree and a Ross as well so hopefully one day I’ll be able to compare a few varieties of this fruit I have really grown to enjoy.
I am curious to know how long the grafted Lyndall took to fruit for you?

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 03:32:18 PM »
Mail ordered from Daley’s in November 2014 but didn’t get into the ground for a few months while I got the espalier frame ready. It is now about 2m tall and 3.5m wide. It had 3 flushes of flowering before settling fruit.

Rob

Canvo

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 04:34:41 PM »
Cheers Rob, looks like I have at least a couple of years to wait

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 04:57:26 PM »
Great review Rob :)

Might be a contender for my future multi graft here.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 09:37:01 PM »
I want.
Jeff  :-)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'