Author Topic: Deformed new growth and dropped leaves  (Read 3719 times)

jwthought81

• Zone 10b - Marathon, FL Keys
    • View Profile
Deformed new growth and dropped leaves
« on: September 01, 2012, 11:00:51 PM »
I've planted a tropical mini-orchard in my yard and I've recently noticed some curled or deformed new growth on a few of my trees. The varieties in question are fantastic avocado, two sugar apple trees and a guanabana tree. They have all recently been pruned/tipped about 2 months ago and then again about 2 week ago (probably too soon).  The guanabana trees have also begun to slowly drop leaves after they leaves first turn yellow.

I've also given the same treatment to two mango trees but they have not shown any problems. Additionally, none of the trees had this issue after the initial pruning. 

Each tree is planted about 8-10  feet apart and I water them with aquaponic water. Occasionally, they get additional fertilizer in the form of leachate from my black soldier fly bin. I see no sign of pests.

We've also been experiencing a good deal of rain during Isaac. Im thinking either over-watering or over fertilization.

Im new to all this so I hope you all can help me out,
Thanks in advance!

Guanabana growth

Avocado

« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 11:11:50 PM by jwthought81 »
Zone 10b - Marathon, FL Keys

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Deformed new growth and dropped leaves
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 12:51:36 AM »
My sugar apple is doing the same thing and so is my guanabana, but it's a milder case. I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Alexi

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 06:21:09 AM »
Avocados and annonas are more prone to flooding damage. Mango is very resilient. So it's probably Isaac to blame.
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 07:36:38 AM »
The guanabana damage looks perhaps like burn, maybe salt water burn? The avocado damage doesn't look like too much water is the issue, but I don't have a different diagnosis. Neither tree looks like it is trouble.  I think you'll see some better looking growth ahead.  Hoping so, anyway.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

TNAndy

• East Tennessee USA zone 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 09:30:26 AM »
I've got several deformed leaves on my Key Lime.  It could be due to overwatering.  I accidentally left the sprayer on overnight a few weeks ago.  The water couldn't drain out the bottom as fast as it was entering, so the next morning, the whole container was flooded to the rim.

jwthought81

• Zone 10b - Marathon, FL Keys
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 09:51:22 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the responses. 

Im tending to lean toward the over watering issue, but the salt damage is interesting.  Im in the Florida Keys so there is always an ocean, salty breeze.

I've also read that the soldier fly leechate needs to be greatly diluted to be used safely.  So I may have burnt the plants.  I'll lay off the fert and the water for a bit and hopefully it'll clear up.

In the meantime, should I trim the deformed growth off or leave it be?

Zone 10b - Marathon, FL Keys

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 09:54:25 AM »
Your choice to trim or not.  I don't think it really matters in the long term.  So trim if you can't stand looking at it.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 12:25:13 PM »
The avocado leaves appear to have been damaged by aphids or leafhoppers, most of which could have been removed or drowned by TS Isaac.  Have you looked with a magnifying glass?  Check for molted skins.

I have not seen this problem on Guanabana.  Possibilities:  Very small bud meallybugs (I have seen similar "rheumatoid" contortions on several other fruit trees),  bud mites (nearly microscopic, and hidden inside the bracts of the bud), or Fusarium fungus inside the wood (such as in mango malformation).
Har