Author Topic: Moro blood orange, wow!  (Read 2219 times)

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Moro blood orange, wow!
« on: February 09, 2017, 10:44:42 AM »
Been in about 4 years, on trifoliata rootstock.  This year the flavor is rich and the color is darker with each fruit that I pick about every 3 days or so just to have something for breakfast.  Warm winter had also sped up the prime time about a month.  "Precious" rind, zest, smells richly of cinnamon and the color is dark orange.

About 4 days ago.

2 weeks ago.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
Re: Moro blood orange, wow!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 11:38:29 AM »
Wow, very nice coloration. My Moro stays yellow with some pink speckles here and there.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 01:24:48 PM »
Moro Blood oranges are dark purple/red due to the chemical anthocyanin.  It takes cool temperatures to activate the anthocyanin to make the color.  Areas like Florida do not get enough cool temperatures to achieve good color..   A Moro grown warm (like in a greenhouse) produces orange color flesh.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 04:56:32 PM »
Moro Blood oranges are dark purple/red due to the chemical anthocyanin.  It takes cool temperatures to activate the anthocyanin to make the color.  Areas like Florida do not get enough cool temperatures to achieve good color..   A Moro grown warm (like in a greenhouse) produces orange color flesh.

Lows in my greenhouse where it's growing have hit their 34F limit a few times.  Crazy because this has been a warm winter with stuff budding out a month or so early.

Yeah, most of Fl and SoCal are too warm.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 11:23:41 PM »
This was a good cold winter and the Moro in Riverside, CA are really dark right now. I ate some at the citrus field day 2 days ago.
For normal years you're right Mark.

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 05:45:04 PM »
Been in about 4 years, on trifoliata rootstock.  This year the flavor is rich and the color is darker with each fruit that I pick about every 3 days or so just to have something for breakfast.  Warm winter had also sped up the prime time about a month.  "Precious" rind, zest, smells richly of cinnamon and the color is dark orange.

About 4 days ago.

2 weeks ago.

When you say it has speed up the process by a month are you meaning the coloration or the ripeness- or both? That would place you first week or so in March for your usual Moro harvest?

Im asking because by Feb 15 Ive   picked all mine. Three trees( 4 years old ) second year crops-- not too tasty at all.  Perhaps I should be waiting into March? I pulled 60 or so yesterday and they were all meally and dry with little sweetness. Perhaps Im harvesting to early. No growers around this area to compare notes with so thank you for the info.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 05:48:30 PM by LaCasaVerde »

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 10:06:58 PM »
Would Sanguinelli need cold like Moro to color up too? Do all blood oranges need cold weather? How much cold is needed? Just s few days near freezing?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 12:02:11 AM »
Would Sanguinelli need cold like Moro to color up too? Do all blood oranges need cold weather? How much cold is needed? Just s few days near freezing?
Yes all the blood oranges need cold chill to color up. Have Moro blood orange and looks and taste like regular orange in this warm climate. If you want a reddish orange in warm climate try the Cara cara. It does not need chill for coloration.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk