Author Topic: Would Brogdon or Choquette make for good Avocado seedling grafting rootstock?  (Read 756 times)

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Hey All

Would either Brogdon or Choquette make for good seedling Florida rootstock for grafting?  If not what is the #1 best cold hardy avocado rootstock for grafting in Florida 9B.  I have heard Lula is very good.  Thanks.
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Lula is an excellent rootstock.

Choquette works too though I question how cold hardy it would be.

Brogden seedlings in my experience aren’t as vigorous as the other two. But might possess better cold tolerance than both as Brogden itself is much more cold hardy than Choquette and slightly more cold hardy than Lula.

mmanners

• Horticulture Professor at Florida Southern College
    • Lakeland Florida, USA. USDA 9B
    • View Profile
We use a lot of Brogdon seedlings, just because we have a very productive tree, so we get a lot of seeds.  They work fine. 

Realize that unlike citrus, where the rootstock affects the cold-hardiness of the scion, that's not the case with avocado.  So the only concern about a less-cold-hardy rootstock than your scion would be that the rootstock could freeze out from under the scion.  If you graft low, and cover up above the union with mulch on your coldest nights, that also ceases to be a problem.

Malcolm Manners
Horticultural Science
Florida Southern College
Lakeland