Author Topic: anona rosada  (Read 21884 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
anona rosada
« on: October 07, 2015, 09:29:39 PM »
I have decided to rename Pajapita El Congo Ilama. We have seen pix of Guillermo and Genova Red yet when I google Pajapita the only image is mine. I leave you with pix of my El Congo and YouTube videos with Ilamas from this historical city in El Salvador you be the judge.

Videos of El Congo
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Kh3xoeoqo
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TtuT5DT8jJ0

« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 09:02:12 PM by JF »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: El Congo Ilama
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 11:26:23 AM »
I believe Har was one of the individuals who introduced Pajapita into the U.S. from Guatemala. He would be the best source for info on the cultivar.
Jeff  :-)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 12:18:47 PM »
I introduced the 'Pajapita' from the town of that name in western Guatemala, near the Mexican border, in the late 1980's. 
there are quite a few grafted trees around south Florida.

It is not appropriate to re-name it--- especially not to indicate that it is from somewhere else.
Har

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 12:21:51 PM »
The skin of 'Pajapita' is usually smoother than shown in these pictures.
Har

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 01:17:28 PM »
I introduced the 'Pajapita' from the town of that name in western Guatemala, near the Mexican border, in the late 1980's. 
there are quite a few grafted trees around south Florida.

It is not appropriate to re-name it--- especially not to indicate that it is from somewhere else.

Thanks Jeff & Har

I grafted this tree 3-4 years ago from wood I got from a forum member that said it was pajapita. I have no intention of renaming I just want to verify what I got. It also resembles Guillermo and some of the fruits shown in the video. I will post pix on this thread of the fruit cut open when it ripens....maybe it will help us ID it. Here is my smoother legit Genova Red.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:01:12 PM by JF »

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 08:15:09 PM »

Thanks Jeff & Har

I grafted this tree 3-4 years ago from wood I got from a forum member that said it was pajapita. I have no intention of renaming I just want to verify what I got. It also resembles Guillermo and some of the fruits shown in the video. I will post pix on this thread of the fruit cut open when it ripens....maybe it will help us ID it. Here is my smoother legit Genova Red.

You said you have no intention of renaming but in your first post you said "I have decided to rename Pajapita El Congo Ilama."

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Papause X
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 08:42:38 PM »

Thanks Jeff & Har

You said you have no intention of renaming but in your first post you said "I have decided to rename Pajapita El Congo Ilama."

My intentions were to be provocative an get this Papause X IDed because there is no info or pix on google or this forum of this mysterious Papause......I could've renamed it Casper! Now I am going to quote the creator of Pajapita:

"The skin of 'Pajapita' is usually smoother than shown in these pictures."
therefore you can not rename this thread Pajapita Ilama cause you have no idea what variety I have.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 10:18:59 PM by JF »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Pajapita Ilama
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 09:00:10 PM »
Perhaps there are fewer ilama varieties than is commonly believed.The same variety could be carrying more than one name.

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 11:03:53 AM »
Hi!, I am from El Salvador and I have known that fruit all my life as Anona blanca (white anona) or "anona rosada" (pink anona) I must admit I don't know the scientific name.  I was just there for a visit 3 weeks ago and had the pleasure of eating both along with many other fruit that were in season. :)

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 12:33:44 PM »
Hi!, I am from El Salvador and I have known that fruit all my life as Anona blanca (white anona) or "anona rosada" (pink anona) I must admit I don't know the scientific name.  I was just there for a visit 3 weeks ago and had the pleasure of eating both along with many other fruit that were in season. :)

Hola TN

Does this anona rosada look like the ones you ate in El Salvador? Tell us if the shape,size and bumpiness of this fruit looks like the ones back home.

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
Re: anona rosada
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 09:02:52 PM »
I posted these pictures in another place, I think you can compare and make a decision. :)

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 09:31:13 PM »
I posted these pictures in another place, I think you can compare and make a decision. :)

Very nice pix

My anona rosada looks very much like those.....what do you have there guanabana, ciruela campeche, mamoncillos and manzanos?

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 10:23:05 PM »
We call them: Mamey, nispero, sapote, guanaba, mamones, lichi, jocote de corona (the red ones) jocote amarillo and guineo mansano banana.:)

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 10:37:39 PM »
We call them: Mamey, nispero, sapote, guanaba, mamones, lichi, jocote de corona (the red ones) jocote amarillo and guineo mansano banana.:)

Yes I missed the Mamey de Santo Domingo los nisperos and Rambutans nice selection of fruits!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 10:58:15 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2015, 11:27:44 PM »
According to this book, Anona rosada in El Salvador is  custard apple.

https://books.google.com/books?id=XRVpfmrKpZkC&pg=PA234&lpg=PA234&dq=anona+rosada&source=bl&ots=8GuK_Ouq3f&sig=6dCMeNy0ciSSCgZl5AoMUBY0IYs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CD8Q6AEwCGoVChMI4PiIj7i-yAIVyZeACh0XiQKa#v=onepage&q&f=false

but look below a.diversifolia anona blanca in El Salvador white ilama so it's reasonable to guess anona rosada is red ilama correct.

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 08:56:24 AM »
JF, I think the variety of fruit is what I miss more from El Salvador, we get some kind of fruit all year around and the month of May being the most productive time of year.
Did you have to hand pollinate your anona to produce fruit or you just grafted it?
I got some seeds and would like to experiment on trying to grow one, but I don't know how long it would take from seed to produce fruit, I also got seeds from the white anona we ate, but even though I kept the seeds separated I forgot to mark which are white or pink. I will need to plant a couple of each and then graft. :)

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 10:20:57 AM »
JF, I think the variety of fruit is what I miss more from El Salvador, we get some kind of fruit all year around and the month of May being the most productive time of year.
Did you have to hand pollinate your anona to produce fruit or you just grafted it?
I got some seeds and would like to experiment on trying to grow one, but I don't know how long it would take from seed to produce fruit, I also got seeds from the white anona we ate, but even though I kept the seeds separated I forgot to mark which are white or pink. I will need to plant a couple of each and then graft. :)

TN, I prune my anonas in April a few weeks later they started to bloom. It did not set any fruits. I stripped the leaves in late July and they bloomed even heavier this time anona rosada set one fruit. When I saw that I immediately try to hand pollinate. I'll tell you something, the traditional way you hand pollinate other annonas doesn't work so I had to figure out a method but by  then it was too late I could only get 8 to set. These are grafted anonas on cherimoya rootstocks. I don't know if you can grow
Them in AZ you may get too cool in winter, keep them potted and in a greenhouse in winter.

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 02:11:49 PM »
Thanks JF, I can keep them in pots, and bring them in my garage in the winter months,  but where do you suguest I get the scion wood from? I need to also get some scion wood for some mangoes but I want to do it from someone that is reliable. Any suguestions will be appriciated. :) Xenia

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2015, 03:58:04 PM »

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 10:03:14 PM »
Thank you Felipe! :)

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 10:45:33 PM »
Here some good information in Spanish about Ilama:

https://books.google.de/books?id=3coOAQAAIAAJ&lpg=PP1&hl=de&pg=PA6#v=onepage&q&f=false

Thanks Felipe! Great technical guide for a.diversifolia. Very helpful in helping me ID the variety I have and I can confidently state it is not a Pajapita. We are going to have to wait and see the flesh to positively ID it.

sdtury

• san Diego california
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2015, 03:27:22 PM »
Perhaps there are fewer ilama varieties than is commonly believed.The same variety could be carrying more than one name.
It's the other way around,  there's a lot of varieties of ilama..
I came across a great research document about the many varieties of ilamas found in Michoacan and Guerrero Mexico.
The document is in Spanish, 60 pages of valuable information.

http://www.academia.edu/1060385/DIVERSIDAD_EN_LAS_ILAMAS_Annona_diversifolia_Saff._DE_LA_TIERRA_CALIENTE_DEL_BALSAS_MEXICO

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2015, 04:05:33 PM »
It's the other way around,  there's a lot of varieties of ilama..
I came across a great research document about the many varieties of ilamas found in Michoacan and Guerrero Mexico.
The document is in Spanish, 60 pages of valuable information.

http://www.academia.edu/1060385/DIVERSIDAD_EN_LAS_ILAMAS_Annona_diversifolia_Saff._DE_LA_TIERRA_CALIENTE_DEL_BALSAS_MEXICO

Thanks for the document!
I hope your GR is doing well
Behl and I will propagate anonna rosada in the pre -orders next March

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk