Author Topic: List of drought tolerant trees  (Read 28525 times)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Re: List of drought tolerant trees
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2012, 05:43:16 PM »
Hi,
Here's the sources:

Helton Josué(Brazil)
http://www.bananasraras.org/frutasrarasingles/seedenglish.htm
*STRYCHNOS BRASILIENSIS
*STRYCHNOS SPINOSA

Sunshine seeds(Germany)
http://www.sunshine-seeds.de/index.php?cPath=31_1173&sort=2a&page=3&iosCid=12bffc4e8a6c20b387c73644d0b65e66
*Strychnos gerrardii
*Strychnos madagascariensis
*Strychnos pungens
*Strychnos spinosa

Silver Hill Seeds(South Africa)
http://www.silverhillseeds.co.za/
*Strychnos spinosa

Hope this is useful!!!

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

natsgarden123

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2012, 05:52:37 PM »
It looks live just about everything grown commonly in Florida is drought tolerant- How about drought sensitive trees?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2012, 06:39:15 PM »
I did not see Strychnos spinosa at silverhillseeds available (maybe out of season?) I saw Strychnos madagascariensis however.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 10:33:53 PM »

Hi Oscar :),
He doesn't recall exactly how it tastes like!, He ate the fruit like 40 years ago! But, he said that when the fruit is ripe it exuldes a spicy aroma and it has custard like flavor! sorry, not much info on taste!

Did the tree produce fruit in the Kampong gardens? have you tried to cultivate other species of Strychnos, maybe there is one that is more adapted to constant rain? I really don't know if it will adapt to your climate! is it alwalys raining there?

My uncle always goes to Mozambique and I asked him last week for seeds! Maybe, the tree will adapt here!, we have a distinct rainy season in winter and a dry season in summer!

BTW, In Brazil some people are cultivating this fruit tree with the help of a book that was published which made it famous!
''Sabor do maboque''(Flavor of the Monkey orange) by Dulce Braga it's an Autobiography on her life and also about this beloved fruit that she ate in Angola in her childhood!

Here's a brief vid of her and the fruit!
Entrevista Dulce Braga - Sabor de Maboque - RTP/Rumos
Jump to 02:18

Hi Steven, yes the monkey orange tree at Kampong had fruits on it while i was there, but they were all green and did not get to taste it. Ofcourse it does not rain all the time here, but rain is spread fairly evenly through the year, so we don't have any dry part of the year.  Also, just because it fruits in Florida doesn't mean it will fruit here. I think our rainfall ia about 2x higher than in S. Florida, we get an average of 150 inches per year (3800 mm). Still i am trying because some plants from very dry Africa can adapt, like Imbe, and grow fine here. There are even types of cactus that don't mind high rainfall and grow fine here.
Thanks for the video, but like i said i don't understand spoken Portuguese, written Portuguese much easier to decipher.
Oscar
Oscar

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2012, 11:56:54 PM »

I don't know how mamey-sapotes do with salt spray.  [In Belize some sapodillas grow in the sea.] 

In Yucatán, mamey-sapotes withstand prolonged dry seasons annually, on shallow clay soils over limestone rocks, with the water table probably well over 50 feet down in most places.  I don't know what the air humidity levels run there.  We were not discussing desert plants.

Recently we have had several drought years here in south Florida, with little rain from November thru June.  My sandy yard is 27 feet above the water table.  I don't have an irrigation system, and sporadically water plants that look stressed.   Many plants and trees have died in my yard, but all the ones I listed (except for mamey-sapote and carissa, which I observed elswhere) are doing just fine, some with no rain or irrigation for two months.

I did not list soursop, which has needed frequent extra waterings.  I also did not list Rollinia deliciosa (mucosa) which do not survive for me unless grafted on drought- hardy rootsock.  Sugar-apples just barely hold on.

Har

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 12:06:44 AM »
Some trees that are drought tolerant may not survive very low relative humidity. But rainfall and humidity are 2 very different things. Here we have places that have very low rainfall and still have fairly high humidity. Perhaps case is same in some places and times in Florida? But places that have both very low rainfall and also very low RH are much harder on plants. That may be the case in Canary islands?
Oscar
Oscar

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 02:14:19 AM »
Exactly, there are many aspects of drought tolerance as it as a relative term; adaption to seasonal drought (precipitation patterns), total amount of precipitation, humidity, and other factors like soil type and whether the tree is established with deep roots or not etc.
What I consider a drought tolerant tree growing in Northern Uganda (1000mm precipitation with two distinct rainy seasons) will not be considered drought-tolerant in Egypt (with 100mm precipitation or so).

Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 07:38:42 AM »
Exactly, there are many aspects of drought tolerance as it as a relative term; adaption to seasonal drought (precipitation patterns), total amount of precipitation, humidity, and other factors like soil type and whether the tree is established with deep roots or not etc.
What I consider a drought tolerant tree growing in Northern Uganda (1000mm precipitation with two distinct rainy seasons) will not be considered drought-tolerant in Egypt (with 100mm precipitation or so).

Hi Soren,  I never thought of drought tolerance this way.  It sounds like we have similar drought situations although the wet seasons in TCI, and specifically on salt cay, tend to vary year to year. Maybe looking at trees endemic to similar regions is a better approach.  The soil is a clay silt (mainly dust from Africa) and calcium carbonate from the weathered limestone bedrock.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 07:56:05 AM »
Hi Dave,
I can see the total precipitation for Turks and Caicos Islands average 600mm per year - is that correct? With temperatures of 25-30c.  So if you are not planning to irrigate, you need to select your trees carefully - that is fairly tough conditions.
Which trees are you growing or have tried to grow?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 08:00:37 AM by Soren »
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 08:14:56 AM »

I don't know how mamey-sapotes do with salt spray.  [In Belize some sapodillas grow in the sea.] 

In Yucatán, mamey-sapotes withstand prolonged dry seasons annually, on shallow clay soils over limestone rocks, with the water table probably well over 50 feet down in most places.  I don't know what the air humidity levels run there.  We were not discussing desert plants.

Recently we have had several drought years here in south Florida, with little rain from November thru June.  My sandy yard is 27 feet above the water table.  I don't have an irrigation system, and sporadically water plants that look stressed.   Many plants and trees have died in my yard, but all the ones I listed (except for mamey-sapote and carissa, which I observed elswhere) are doing just fine, some with no rain or irrigation for two months.

I did not list soursop, which has needed frequent extra waterings.  I also did not list Rollinia deliciosa (mucosa) which do not survive for me unless grafted on drought- hardy rootsock.  Sugar-apples just barely hold on.

Har - I noticed you listed Annona purpurea. My A. squamosa and A. muricata does better than my A. purpurea which drops all the leaves and kinda dries up a bit during the dry seasons.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 09:49:08 AM by Soren »
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 08:18:34 AM »
I did not see Strychnos spinosa at silverhillseeds available (maybe out of season?) I saw Strychnos madagascariensis however.

Hi Nullzero,

I sent them an e-mail in January about the Doringklapper-Strychnos spinosa! They told me that it will be available this season!
If I'm not mistaken, The season for Monkey orange in South Africa is September!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 08:55:24 AM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 08:42:11 AM »
Hi Dave,
I can see the total precipitation for Turks and Caicos Islands average 600mm per year - is that correct? With temperatures of 25-30c.  So if you are not planning to irrigate, you need to select your trees carefully - that is fairly tough conditions.

Black sapote
Canistel
Mango
Nance
Sugar apple
Soursop
Tamarind
Guinup
Pomegranate
Fig
Sapodilla
Panama berry
Barbados cherry
Natal plum
Indian jujube
Loquat
java plum

Hi Soren, these are doing well with some hose irrigation.  The trees that do best on island are tamarind, Guinup, sapodilla, neem and date palm. Rainfall is about 20 inches per year.  I introduced the rest and of those, nance and black sapote,  indian jujube and natal plum are doing the best. Many have failed in the past including longon, jakfruit, a mango, dwarf ambarella,   Any advice or suggestions you have would be great.  Thanks,  Dave

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2012, 09:46:38 AM »
Can't add much to the list already mentioned apart from some African species, but they will be difficult to get a seed source from.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2012, 03:41:26 PM »
Does anyone know how many years does Strychnos spinosa take to produce?
Time is like a river.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2012, 03:56:12 PM »
Hi Oscar,
WOW, that's alot of rain!!!! Here we are having the driest winter in about 120 years! :( Luckly, The Government gives the irrigation water for free during droughts :)!

I hope your trees produce soon for you! ;) Keep us posted! BTW How old are your trees?
Time is like a river.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2012, 05:28:15 PM »
This thread made me order some Strychnos pungens seeds!  :P Should have them in a week or two, after reading up on the Strychnos spinosa, Strychnos, Strychnos cocculoides, and Strychnos pungens from http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=11879&page=309 and an Israeli agriculture report, which had a section about it; http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/ncnu02/v5-378.html

It seems that Strychnos cocculoides is reported to have the best tasting fruit upto 12cm in width.

Strychnos pungens, is reported to have the least amount of toxins in the seed (of the three) and has fruit upto 12cm in width. "least in Strychnos pungens not even the seeds seem to contain toxins."
http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=11879&page=310

Strychnos spinosa, has fruit close to cocculoides in quality. More adapted to drought and heat then the other two.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2012, 05:55:11 PM »
I ordered some of the different Strychnos species from Silverhill seeds in South Africa. They did a very good job of sending and i would like to recommend them.
Oscar
Oscar

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2012, 06:54:21 PM »
I ordered some of the different Strychnos species from Silverhill seeds in South Africa. They did a very good job of sending and i would like to recommend them.
Oscar

I have seeds coming in from Silverhill, marula seeds :).

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2012, 07:43:41 PM »
I'm growing some monkey orange here, but don't know if it will fruit with our constant wet climate? Can you describe the taste? Thanks for luscious looking photo. If i recall correctly there was a big tree of monkey orange at the Kampong gardens in S. Florida.
Oscar

He doesn't recall exactly how it tastes like!, He ate the fruit like 40 years ago! But, he said that when the fruit is ripe it exuldes a spicy aroma and it has custard like flavor! sorry, not much info on taste!

Did the tree produce fruit in the Kampong gardens? have you tried to cultivate other species of Strychnos, maybe there is one that is more adapted to constant rain? I really don't know if it will adapt to your climate! is it alwalys raining there?

My uncle always goes to Mozambique and I asked him last week for seeds! Maybe, the tree will adapt here!, we have a distinct rainy season in winter and a dry season in summer!

BTW, In Brazil some people are cultivating this fruit tree with the help of a book that was published which made it famous!
''Sabor do maboque''(Flavor of the Monkey orange) by Dulce Braga it's an Autobiography on her life and also about this beloved fruit that she ate in Angola in her childhood!

A tough one to grow for me , killed a few by over watering ( probably ) and the ants just love the leaves defoliating the remaining bush time after time . Also dead slow growing here.
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2012, 03:09:24 PM »
I'm growing some monkey orange here, but don't know if it will fruit with our constant wet climate? Can you describe the taste? Thanks for luscious looking photo. If i recall correctly there was a big tree of monkey orange at the Kampong gardens in S. Florida.
Oscar

A tough one to grow for me , killed a few by over watering ( probably ) and the ants just love the leaves defoliating the remaining bush time after time . Also dead slow growing here.

Hi Luc,
Sorry to hear about that :( You should take care of those ant's...Spray the tree with garlic extract(to repel them) or make a fire on the mound and get rid of them for good. I truly hate ant's...Latest development with them ants....they intoduced aphids on my Abiu seedling :'( I will take care of them ASAP ;)  Don't give up on Maboque :) I got a few running my self ;)
Time is like a river.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2012, 03:41:16 PM »
Hi Dave,

Black sapote
Canistel
Mango
Nance
Sugar apple
Soursop
Tamarind
Guinup
Pomegranate
Fig
Sapodilla
Panama berry
Barbados cherry
Natal plum
Indian jujube
Loquat
java plum

Hi Soren, these are doing well with some hose irrigation.  The trees that do best on island are tamarind, Guinup, sapodilla, neem and date palm. Rainfall is about 20 inches per year.  I introduced the rest and of those, nance and black sapote,  indian jujube and natal plum are doing the best. Many have failed in the past including longon, jakfruit, a mango, dwarf ambarella,   Any advice or suggestions you have would be great.  Thanks,  Dave

@Dave

Didn't realize how dry those Islands were, from what I understand the soil is very sandy also.  how is your soil ?   have you considered/tried drip irrigation?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2012, 04:09:18 PM »
Judging what grows in the dry tropics here and knowing your min temps I say persist with mangoes and jackfruit, forget longan and lychees.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2012, 04:40:07 PM »

My grafted mamey sapote trees don't like prolonged drought. In fact, they start to droop a bit after 2-3 days of hot, sunny, dry weather. Maybe it's because they are young and sandy soil doesn't tend to hold moisture well?
Alexi

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2012, 04:57:50 PM »
Yah, mamey is not at all drought tolerant. I have a well-established tree that's been in ground for over 3 years, yet it stresses if we go a week or two without rainfall. Potted mamey will droop its leaves if it just thinks about sun.

My grafted mamey sapote trees don't like prolonged drought. In fact, they start to droop a bit after 2-3 days of hot, sunny, dry weather. Maybe it's because they are young and sandy soil doesn't tend to hold moisture well?
Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2012, 05:02:47 PM »
Well, I can't say that we ever see much in the way of drought here :-). We call drought when it hasn't rained in 2 weeks. Try planting the trees you grow here in Florida in so cal where it's not uncommon to go 6 months without rainfall :-).

It looks live just about everything grown commonly in Florida is drought tolerant- How about drought sensitive trees?
Jeff  :-)