Author Topic: Sprays to help Mangos hold fruit?  (Read 782 times)

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
Sprays to help Mangos hold fruit?
« on: February 21, 2021, 10:44:16 AM »
Wondering what ya'll use, tried, learned over the years.
Copper, sulfur, nutrient sprays from big box or specialty stores ect.
Doing nothing in the past for me proved minimal or hardly any fruit.

Yesterday on non blooms i sprayed this 1oz per gal, 1st season trying it.  Drenched a couple months ago too.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Sprays to help Mangos hold fruit?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 01:04:15 PM »
Why are you wanting to spray and test the crap out of you trees.  Its one thing if its NEEDED but sometimes less is more...

If you havent done a true soil test or the tree(s) show obvious signs of odmf a deficiency,  why are you just looking to spray anything and everything?
- Rob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 01:32:21 PM »
Simon has a cool foliar feed regimen that he posted about. Supposedly increases fruit set and yield. Kelp, dead yeast, sticking agent (coco wet?), and not sure what else. Sprayed some last year, had a good year, can't say for sure why.

Re spraying nutrients, reminds of reef keeping and the saying, "don't dose anything that you don't measure." Of course, a closed system tank is different from a tree growing in the yard/field. Being selectively lazy and a practitioner of periodic procrastination due to working more than I like, can see breaking this rule in the orchard, but not if you are serious about matters.

Question: Can it be beneficial/harmful to spray specific nutrients on panicles even when there is no deficiency of those nutrients in the soil?

Hope to never spray copper or anything harsh here, if can help it. So far it's going well. Feel for those in areas that are hit hard by mango disease.

Our problem has been squirrels and thieves. Working on a spray for them.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 01:52:27 PM »
California is not Florida.   What works in one location may not be right for the other...

There are many differences between the two locations...including but not limited to climate, soil, growing in pots vs inground.  Last I heard, same top mota grower in San Diego area successfully grows mangoes and he does not baby them beyond basic care for growing in Cali.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 01:56:03 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 02:52:22 PM »
Why are you wanting to spray and test the crap out of you trees.  Its one thing if its NEEDED but sometimes less is more...

If you havent done a true soil test or the tree(s) show obvious signs of odmf a deficiency,  why are you just looking to spray anything and everything?
Rob I to suffer from OCD. For some reason I have the thought that I can solo the challenge. Seek the Agent of Nine in Destiny. I keep having my head handed to me and sent back to orbit. lol
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 03:32:12 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 08:03:07 PM »
I can say for me & my Kent, copper (1-2oz per week) certainly made great improvement so far.
I don't mind spending 5-10 minutes spraying, i know how good they taste.
Just trying to do best i can.
Wondering if powdery mildew will be non issue if we get back to warm temps quick.
Also wondering how you guys south of me had cold damage but not here.
I read Kelp increases cold tolerance a few degrees.  ?  I did drench it once.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 08:23:08 PM »
The more you spray, the more you ingest.  To me, I would not save a Kent.  Not a fan of the taste (thats a personal choice and can not fault those who like it).  The bigger issue is your tree may look good but it will not stop the internal rot its prone to.

There is no changing cold tolerance.  I was around 35/36 degrees one morning and had a decent coating of frost over most of the yard, house and car (as were many areas of SFla).
- Rob

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 09:58:59 PM »
UF recommends 0-0-22 fertilizer, foliage spray for micronutrients and iron soil drenches with chelated iron. I’m planning on using kelp meal and azomite instead of the foliage spray and I found organic options for the iron chelate and fertilizer. I would prefer to do nothing but aren’t there some treatments that are necessary for tree health?

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 10:18:25 PM »
Bsbullie do you feel there should be any maintenance treatments to mango trees or only treat if there is an obvious deficiency/issue?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk