Author Topic: List of Productive Fruit Trees that Are a Must Have  (Read 3658 times)

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
List of Productive Fruit Trees that Are a Must Have
« on: September 12, 2014, 12:49:24 AM »
List of Productive Fruit Trees that Are a Must Have. These fruit tree varieties produce fruit in great quantities.

'Keitt' mango (difficult to think of an improvement, this variety is almost perfect).
'Arkin' carambola (same here)
Muscadine Grapes (I have two popular varieties for my area but I've lost the variety names; I wish the size were larger though)
'Pakistany/Tigertail' Mulberry  (although one of the largest sized varieties, a larger one would be very welcomed)
Banana: 'Goldfinger;' 'NamWa'

These are the five, most consistently productive, quality fruit trees in my home yard; surprisingly it's just five. :(
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: List of Productive Fruit Trees that Are a Must Have
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 04:13:45 AM »

I'll add peppino melon and youngberry. Not strictly trees, but good and heavy yielding  subtropical/tropical crops.

Muntigia (pananama berry) is another super heavy yielder.  All papaya. Mangoes too.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 04:16:41 AM »
I'm not particularly into this vs. that cultivar, I find qualities I like sometimes hit and miss and wound up with many of your choices.

Carambola (3), Mango (4), Mulberry (1) , banana (2), and muscadines (5).

I've also become fond of MANY other not necessarily productive fruits that some turn their noses up at not wanting to waste space where they can put mango :-)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 04:29:56 AM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 09:37:16 PM »

I'll add peppino melon and youngberry. Not strictly trees, but good and heavy yielding  subtropical/tropical crops.

Muntigia (pananama berry) is another super heavy yielder.  All papaya. Mangoes too.

I'd love to know more about the fruits you mentioned, Peppino-melon, youngberry and Muntigia (panama berry). Unfortunately, I only found a few pictures and snippets of info about these fruits on the web.

These fruits seem to be on the same page as muscadine grapes, although they're totally different.

You describe them as "good and heavy yielding," that sounds like it may be very worthy to grow them in the home yard.

Summary: More info on these fruits, please!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 12:40:39 AM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 10:12:17 PM »

I'd love to know more about the fruits you mentioned, Peppino-melon, youngberry and Muntigia (panama berry). Unfortunately, I only found a few pictures and snippets of info about these fruits on the web.

These fruits seem to be on the same pabe as muscadine grapes, although they're totally different.

You describe them as "good and heavy yielding," that sounds like it may be very worthy to grow them in the home yard.

Summary: More info on these fruits, please!!!!!

well, in my opinion peppino melon is the only solanum worth growing, because almost all of the time, I fucking hate solanums. This includes tamarillo and tomato, which despite being a fruit, is not a fruit that I accept as being a fruit.

Peppino melon is easy to grow, is spineless, has nice looking foliage, will tolerate a wide range of soils and has extremely good pest resistance. Has a similar taste to piel de sapo melon.  You can grow them very easily in pots, and they don't present a weed risk. They produce abundantly.

Youngberry is a very, very, very tough fruiting vine. Very tough. They will handle drought excellently, and baking, life-destroying heat very well; put it this way, if they can handle what Australia has to throw at them, they can handle anything other than the Arabian desert. They produces masses of very delicious berries which are not sickly sweet and have a good amount of astringency that isn't overbearing, and don't send out the kind of ultra-invasive runners of something like blackberry and raspberry--things which aren't worth growing in the subs and aren't even worth considering for the tropics.Nice flowers, beautiful foliage, can be trellised into interesting shapes. Pretty much the perfect vine to grow IMO. I'll take some pics of mine in a minute and post them--I just ripped these out the ground and put them in a pot (they wilted for exactly one day, and then started flushing out new growth the next--they are that tough).

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 10:27:52 PM »
Here you go. Peppino melon is about 3 months old, they are extremely vigorous. It already has flowers. The youngberry is also extremely fast. Not sure if you can make it out, but the leaves have a purplish hue, especially when young. Fruit considerably better than mulberry. It's budding, you can see one in the left corner, but they haven't opened yet, we're just into spring here. Not sure why my hand is pink, but anyway.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 10:31:00 PM by starling1 »

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 03:16:01 PM »
Hi, why not psidium cattleianum? I have many of them, one took just 18 months to flower from seed; and I must report that a 1 m tall (3 feet) tree can produce 300 fruits. You must do a trap for the fruit fly here, but that's the only problem.

I would add jaboticaba too, lemon, pacurí (garcinia brasilensis) and others I cant remember now
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 04:05:31 PM »
Hi, why not psidium cattleianum? I have many of them, one took just 18 months to flower from seed; and I must report that a 1 m tall (3 feet) tree can produce 300 fruits. You must do a trap for the fruit fly here, but that's the only problem.

I would add jaboticaba too, lemon, pacurí (garcinia brasilensis) and others I cant remember now

Problem with guava for a lot of growers is the fruit fly issue, which you mentioned.  A lot of people seek a carefree, productive, tasty crop of fruits.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 04:40:19 PM »
Pepino melon pest resistance? Mine are constantly attacked by mites and a little beetle that looks like short slugs when they're young. I spray them off with water every chance I have and still there's maybe 20% chlorophyll left in the leaves.

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 05:26:29 PM »
Pepino melon pest resistance? Mine are constantly attacked by mites and a little beetle that looks like short slugs when they're young. I spray them off with water every chance I have and still there's maybe 20% chlorophyll left in the leaves.

Haven't experienced anything like this, so I can't really comment. Sounds like soemthing that could be controlled with garlic chilli spray though.

Kapiak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 07:26:13 PM »
Starling, would the Youngberry be suitable in my hot lowland area you think? You got me interested there!

And Muntingia, how do you eat it? I tried some here, the taste is quite odd, sweet but I am not sure if I should like it or dislike it.  :o

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 08:39:06 PM »
Starling, would the Youngberry be suitable in my hot lowland area you think? You got me interested there!

And Muntingia, how do you eat it? I tried some here, the taste is quite odd, sweet but I am not sure if I should like it or dislike it.  :o

Oh yeah. Youngberry will grow in the tropics. Main thing you need to be aware of is that they are susceptible to fungal leaf diseases, especially in humid climates like mine and yours. I have found the best thing to do is plant them in a spot where they'll get sun all day.

Not a huge fan of muntigia either, but they do produce a lot of food.

Kapiak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 09:00:10 PM »
Oh yeah. Youngberry will grow in the tropics. Main thing you need to be aware of is that they are susceptible to fungal leaf diseases, especially in humid climates like mine and yours. I have found the best thing to do is plant them in a spot where they'll get sun all day.

Not a huge fan of muntigia either, but they do produce a lot of food.

You're right, there's tons of fruits on one single tree of Muntingia here. But no one picks them. Not even me who usually go far beyond most people in eating all kinds of fruits.

Youngberry, yeah! Finally a Rubus for the hot tropics! We do have sunny spots so can put it there.
Any chance it can be easily shipped for 3-4 weeks to New Guinea, as I guess seeds don't come true?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk