Author Topic: Best Figs for FL (or similar warm wet humid climates?)  (Read 31453 times)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Best Figs for FL (or similar warm wet humid climates?)
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2014, 09:18:44 PM »
Here is a Vista fig in ground being grown in PSL Florida. Its getting a little bacteria issues on the leaves I believe (the new growth appears to be healthy though). The figs will be ripe in the next couple of weeks (if the coons/squirrels dont get em all).

Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2014, 05:41:54 AM »
Old thread, but I grow a plethora of figs, and Excel, to me, is by far the best.  I am a sucker for Celeste too, but mostly because I've eaten them for so long.

Get you an Excel.  You won't regret it.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2014, 07:11:48 AM »
I wonder what kind of fig it is?  Whatever it is,  it is super tough because I have totally abused i :)t and it keeps growing

Figs are pretty bullet proof.  I have an LSU purple that keeps having a potted tree land on it and still is in the game.

Panache are real thumbs up for me.  I got a BA-1 at our scion exchange based on rave reviews from others, haven't tried one yet.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2014, 07:15:31 AM »
Hey,

I just noticed that my zumwalt fig tree has full size figs on the branches, and small ones coming from new growth. Does anyone else have full size figs on tree? Or has anyone had 2 different flushes of figs to occur on same tree this season??  I don't think any other fig I've grown does this...and my tree seems to be going crazy this year with the unusually cool dry weather.

Just wondering if others experience similar patterns with their figs?
Are you talking about a breba crop?  Some figs do breba and others don't.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2014, 09:06:04 AM »
I'm growing brown turkey figs, which were at a local nursery for only $12 each.  I bought it only because I was curious, I never thought I liked figs much because most of the ones I had tried were dried or had been shipped long distances, and they were just ok.

I was so wrong! The little plant I bought put out a reddish-purple fig the size of my fist. I wish I had gotten a picture, but I was so excited to try what was my first ever freshly-ripe fig (you could smell it from the outside) that I jumped in first and only thought about it later. I was blown away by the flavor, absolutely nothing like any of the figs I had tried up North. It was so tropical! It tasted like a mix of passionfruit, strawberry, and guava. I never would have expected that! Truthfully, it was one of the best individual fruits I have ever had. I got so excited about it that I was heartbroken about how long I would have to wait for another fruit from this 1-gal pot, and went out and bought 2 more. I wondered if this is what all figs taste like, why in the world wouldn't everybody be talking about them?

I realize not many people are excited about the brown fig turkey here, so maybe I got lucky. Pruning was definitely beneficial, because before that I was getting tons of fruit on different branches that mostly dropped before they ever got ripe, or were smallish and not that good. Now I will never let any fruit grow on any branch but that one (until of course it gets to be big - right now there are only a few branches to choose from). Just thinking about it makes me want another... who knew? I thought I didn't like figs!

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2014, 09:21:06 AM »
If you like BT, definitely look at some of the LSU types. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2014, 09:26:45 PM »
I have in my collection: Smith,negronne,stella,chicago hardy, l.s.u gold,salc and some unnames.Pul-up all my magnolia's, very large tree's and large fruits no taste.
I do have a lot of damaged from this past winter,because i am in zone 7 and they are all in the ground, ofcourse the potted ones are all ok.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2014, 04:55:00 AM »
I'm growing brown turkey figs, which were at a local nursery for only $12 each.  I bought it only because I was curious, I never thought I liked figs much because most of the ones I had tried were dried or had been shipped long distances, and they were just ok.

I was so wrong! The little plant I bought put out a reddish-purple fig the size of my fist. I wish I had gotten a picture, but I was so excited to try what was my first ever freshly-ripe fig (you could smell it from the outside) that I jumped in first and only thought about it later. I was blown away by the flavor, absolutely nothing like any of the figs I had tried up North. It was so tropical! It tasted like a mix of passionfruit, strawberry, and guava. I never would have expected that! Truthfully, it was one of the best individual fruits I have ever had. I got so excited about it that I was heartbroken about how long I would have to wait for another fruit from this 1-gal pot, and went out and bought 2 more. I wondered if this is what all figs taste like, why in the world wouldn't everybody be talking about them?

I realize not many people are excited about the brown fig turkey here, so maybe I got lucky. Pruning was definitely beneficial, because before that I was getting tons of fruit on different branches that mostly dropped before they ever got ripe, or were smallish and not that good. Now I will never let any fruit grow on any branch but that one (until of course it gets to be big - right now there are only a few branches to choose from). Just thinking about it makes me want another... who knew? I thought I didn't like figs!

Just bear in mind, since you bought two extra, that brown turkey fig trees can become massive--you need a large space if you plan to mature them.  You can also break off branches and root them in a bucket of water, or air layer them and make new trees with ease.  You can also clump a few different varieties together, and force them to compete with one another and help stunt their growth so they don't become too large.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2014, 08:53:08 AM »

Just bear in mind, since you bought two extra, that brown turkey fig trees can become massive--you need a large space if you plan to mature them.  You can also break off branches and root them in a bucket of water, or air layer them and make new trees with ease.  You can also clump a few different varieties together, and force them to compete with one another and help stunt their growth so they don't become too large.

Thanks, I know. My plan is to plant them close together and prune severely, leaving only enough leaves to keep them going and only the branches with the best fruit. I have had the first one for maybe 4 months now and it has been watered daily, and it is actually even smaller than when I bought it because of the pruning. So I don't think they are going to have much chance to get too big. Most other things I'm growing I want as something attractive in the landscape and as fruit producers, but in the case of the figs, I only want their fruit, and occasional use of the leaves which can be used in cooking. (I am rooting many of the branches I pruned right now!)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2014, 06:26:27 PM »
so far the LSU Improved Celeste has been one of the best performers for me.

The fruits are larger than the common celeste, and just as tasty!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2014, 01:27:48 PM »
Any forum members growing "Brazil Black" fig?  I hear it is a commercial variety in Brazil, but haven't found much else
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Kapiak

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2014, 05:46:35 PM »
What about New Guinea, at the equator? What would work here? I'd really love to have some figs here. Lots of native figs here but they don't taste nice and are usually cooken or eaten sliced with salt. So nothing like the delicious fruity Mediterranean figs that I grew up with in Sweden.

So, anyone have suggestions on figs for rainy hot equatorial New Guinea?

And... it is easier to bring seeds, would a superior variety produce good seedlings that I could select from, or will most of them be lousy like avocadoes are from seeds?

Because it won't be a too good idea to bring plants into New Guinea :(

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2014, 05:58:56 PM »
What about New Guinea, at the equator? What would work here? I'd really love to have some figs here. Lots of native figs here but they don't taste nice and are usually cooken or eaten sliced with salt. So nothing like the delicious fruity Mediterranean figs that I grew up with in Sweden.

And... it is easier to bring seeds, would a superior variety produce good seedlings that I could select from, or will most of them be lousy like avocadoes are from seeds?

Usually cuttings are used to propagate new plants. So you don't need a rooted plant, if cuttings are going to be an issue to import then you can try seeds. I think most seeds have a decent chance of producing ok edible figs (a good portion will be non edible male fig seedlings) most likely the figs will not be as nice as the original fig tree.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2014, 06:36:14 PM »

Kapiak read the ad from Afriadoni, he is also in Indonesia and collects figs.

Kapiak

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2014, 06:47:48 PM »
Thanks Nullzero and Bangkok.

I will skip seed method then,  as cuttings seems so simple. Got in touch with Afriadoni in neighbouring Indonesia. Thanks for test hint! :)

Look forward to finally enjoy figs here! (Hopefully...)

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2014, 03:11:50 PM »
LOL, Ive been hanging out at the Figs4fun forum for a couple years now, funny to see figs mentioned here on the tropical forum. I have many varieties but most are only a year old. I have several 3 year old plants and the best tasting fig for me last season was Malta Black. LSU Improved Celeste was excellent as well. Smith and Scotts Black were good but ripened during a heavy rain spell and got kinda watery.  This next season I will get to try RDB, Black Maderia, CDDN, TX BA-1, JH Adriatic, Salce, Strawberry Verte.  LSU Purple has been on the bottom of the for 2 seasons now. To me it just doesnt even compair to most other varieties. Trying to get rid of it now but cant get any takers on Craigslist. I would love to trade some Mango scions for fig cuttings in the future if anyone is interested?????? Plan on buying 4 mango trees this spring and keep them in 30 gallon pots as we usually get 3-4 freezes a year.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2016, 01:24:46 PM »
My figs are still young so I have only dabbled on fruit here and there, but I had an LSU purple fig last week, and it was larger and juicier than the VdB or Chicago Hardy, both of which stay quite small (fruit) in my yard.  Obviously very limited in my tastings, and I only had 1, but it made me look forward to future fruit from LSU purple.
~Jeff

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2016, 01:32:35 PM »
Are figs just incredibly slow growers or is it just me? I have a celeste and BT in the ground and they have been there for several years and I don't think either of them have grown more than an inch or two.  I have LSU, Bordeux and and other one I cant remember the name of off my head in small pots and they seem to be growing ok. Was planning on replacing both of the in grounds with these. The BT at least fruits, I might have gotten a single fig off the celeste and wasn't impressed with it.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2016, 03:30:11 PM »
Are figs just incredibly slow growers or is it just me? I have a celeste and BT in the ground and they have been there for several years and I don't think either of them have grown more than an inch or two.  I have LSU, Bordeux and and other one I cant remember the name of off my head in small pots and they seem to be growing ok. Was planning on replacing both of the in grounds with these. The BT at least fruits, I might have gotten a single fig off the celeste and wasn't impressed with it.

in-ground figs can get torn up by nematodes....it's better to keep them in pots. (in Florida and sandy soils)...and they actually thrive with cramped roots.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 09:59:02 PM by gunnar429 »
~Jeff

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2016, 09:50:54 PM »
Hmm I will keep that in mind. Thanks.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2016, 09:54:12 PM »
so far O'Rourke seems legit...
i planted that one out, and also the improved celetse...

they are just now getting situated...maybe I can get a decent crop finally.

they had been neglected in pots for the last year or more.

I got a fruit of the Orourke, and it was real nice...it made it through some hostile conditions, brutal heat

also the MSVS is doing well, i planted that monkey out, and now I'm waiting for it to start growing like crazy.

turns out, the figs really don't mind wet feet (as long as it eventually drains)...I'm going to be growing at least 3 varieties here on the farm.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2016, 11:02:49 PM »
Adam, Marseilles Black VS is as much as a stud as LSU Purple at my house, my 3 gallon trees were impressive, they fruited this past fall after I rooted them in May.   

My three, 7 gallon potted LSU Purples set 3 crops each, all were super sweet, I bet I could get 4 crops from these guys during a good year.  Also got first time crops from Alma, Negronne, White Marseille, Improved Celeste, Scott's Black, Lemon, Royal Vineyard, Pasquale, and a few others I can't remember, all were very good until the rains in November. 

I got a whole refrigerator drawer full of cuttings ready to go into the aeroponic cloner.  Got the Col de Dame series, Black Madeira, and Galicia Negra, as well as numerous French, Portuguese, Italian, and US cultivars.  Basically all the heavy hitters talked about on figs4fun and ourfigs.com. If all goes well, I will be open to trades by late spring.

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2016, 09:23:55 AM »
Adam, Marseilles Black VS is as much as a stud

I know I am hardly wet/humid here in AZ but MBVS is indeed a stud. Seems to grow absolutely everywhere, doesn't mind heat, or wet or both can take temps down to -18F. It is a pretty awesome fig!
- Mark