Author Topic: Need banana experts  (Read 239 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Need banana experts
« on: October 14, 2023, 05:55:15 AM »
I have a half dozen dwarf bananas and have great success with them. I have a Zebrina Rojo which is in ground well over two years and has given me nothing but problems.

First let me say it's between two dwarf cavendish (within a few feet) and is given the same care as the others which have no issues. Now the leaves on the Rojo come out gang busters but eventually the newest one will stop growing out and the next one to come out will get strangled by the failing immature leaf. This before a flag leaf erupts. Eventually this plant dies and more pups erupt from the ground which eventually die.

I've tried increasing / decreasing water to it as well as increasing fertilizing it (using Excalibur's fertilizer) to no avail. Funny years ago I had a couple of other Rojo which did well. What to do? Move the plant or new shoots to start a new corm? Could it be missing something that the other plants are not needing? Any advice will be appreciated.

The Rojo is an attractive plant and want it if for no other reason than to add some eye candy to the yard.

Regards,

Gary

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Need banana experts
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 07:58:29 AM »
I am not a banana expert, but I have noticed that nematode damage can reduce micronutrient uptake and cause defficiency symptoms even where there is apparently no lack of nutrients in the soil. I bet Zebrina is more susceptible to nematodes. I wonder how your tree would respond to foliar feeding?

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Need banana experts
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2023, 04:10:39 PM »
Hmmm, I haven't thought of that, good thought! I'm going to try  the soil solarizing methods to see if that helps along with foliar feeding. THANKS!
Regards,

Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk