Author Topic: First Mango picking ever on my Carrie..is it time?  (Read 9667 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Re: First Mango picking ever on my Carrie..is it time?
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 05:43:29 PM »
::)

Yes, they do that sometimes....now, did you say the Carrie was flushing
new leaves while holding fruit?  If so, that kind of vigor works well for
desperate mango lovers like yourself, because you can get growth during
fruit ripening season.  If it had no growth and you had to wait till the fruit
had all been picked (like my Keitt, Kent, Glenn and others) it can be a disaster
to let fruit stay on young trees as you are lucky to maybe get one flush in
before the cold sets in....

so...maybe you'll be OK, sailor man!

Gary

Gary

My Carrie is flushing on several branches, but not branches holding fruit....however it is flushing on the same scaffold limb.....I have 2 main scaffold limbs on my Carrie for now that make up all the branches.

looks like 2 pronged fork scaffold
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2015, 06:00:19 PM »
Hey Clay, just wondering how your Carrie tasted? I'm curious how all these different varieties taste when grown in California. Was it sweet and strong tasting like Alphonso or Kesar? Thanks

Simon

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2015, 09:26:59 PM »
Hey Clay, just wondering how your Carrie tasted? I'm curious how all these different varieties taste when grown in California. Was it sweet and strong tasting like Alphonso or Kesar? Thanks

Simon

My Carrie was  amazing!!!!!!!! probably the best Mango I tasted in my life, but I don't have a lot to go on.... Definitely reminded me of the Alphonzo mangoes I purchased from Mangozz.com, only more sweeter, more piney flavor, and better texure, it's also a much bigger mango.... Carrie> Alphonzo by a mile.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2015, 09:43:58 PM »
That is good too know ! , I Have 7 Gal Carie that I planted 3 years ago , its inside my green house and full of goobers size fruit, Im really hoping I cant taste my 1st home grown Mangos come April ;)..

Ed.. And My Carrie Flowers 2 time per year , Its a great tree im glad I purchased it..
Zone 10

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2015, 01:25:28 AM »
Thanks Clay!  I'm really glad I planted one. I really love the sweet Piney taste from Mangos like Alphonso and Kesar so you're getting me really excited about Carrie. Carrie and Julie are two excellent older varieties I have yet to taste. My tree is currently blooming but it's been in the ground for only a couple months so I'm not going to let it hold fruit for a couple more years.

I really wonder how mango connoisseurs from India, individuals that are familiar with Alphonso and Kesar, would rate a Carrie Mango?

Simon

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2015, 11:44:13 PM »
New 'Carrie' Mango Tree at a Family Member's House

Well, one year after the 'Carrie' tree was planted, it wanted to produce new mango fruit. But, the new flower buds were then all wisely chopped off.

This year, the second year from planting, the tree will be allowed to grow and ripen the fruit. Even though it's just about 6 feet tall, the root system should be quite established by now.

Other than the great quality of the fruit and taste, I just love the low care/maintenance of the 'Carrie' mango variety. It was just watered for the first few days and weeks after planting, then fertilize about once or twice a year, and its good to go, great mangos are on their way.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2015, 08:42:58 AM »
Its A Great Tree ! , Mine Pushes Out Flowers 2 Times Per Year , This is the 1st time the fruit developed .

Rob said I should be able to harvest by June if the fruit holds ..
Ed
Zone 10

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk