Author Topic: Little Havana Fruits  (Read 10322 times)

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Little Havana Fruits
« on: June 22, 2012, 09:03:16 PM »
Last weekend we drove down to Marlins baseball game in Little Havana in Miami. I left early since I wanted to have dinner in one of the really unique places in Miami. It's called Palacio de Los Jugos (Juice Palace). This place is open 24 hours a day and they serve Cuban and Latin comfort foods like Cuban tamales, roast pork, rice dishes of all types,  Cuban & palomilla steak sandwiches, empanadas, Guarapo(fresh squeezed cane juice), Mamey and Soursop shakes and thick Cuban coffee. This place is a landmark and is always packed. Many famous chefs including Martha Stewart and Andrew Zimmern have filmed episodes here. It's not really pretty and you eat outdoors on picnic tables but the food is excellent. For us fruiters, the attraction is the huge fruit bins all over the place. They had fresh locally grown Mamey Americana, Guavas, Jocote (Purple mombins) Mamey Sapote, Mangos, Apple Bananas and even Soursop!. Prices for fruit were reasonable by Miami standards. If you are in Miami , you gotta come here for the full latino experience. I did not hear much English spoken by employees or customers but I imagine that some of the employees must speak it. It's the closet thing to traveling to Central America or the spanish Caribbean.
Miami....it's almost like being in the US!

A boxful of delicous Mamey americana

Local bananas and mangos

Lots of Mamey sapote

Some HUGE and expensive Homestead Guavas. These are all bagged on the plant and free of pests. I have been to the farms that grows them!

FloridaGreenMan

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Little Havana Fruits
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 09:10:52 PM »
Last weekend we drove down to Marlins baseball game in Little Havana in Miami. I left early since I wanted to have dinner in one of the really unique places in Miami. It's called Palacio de Los Jugos (Juice Palace). This place is open 24 hours a day and they serve Cuban and Latin comfort foods like Cuban tamales, roast pork, rice dishes of all types,  Cuban & palomilla steak sandwiches, empanadas, Guarapo(fresh squeezed cane juice), Mamey and Soursop shakes and thick Cuban coffee. This place is a landmark and is always packed. Many famous chefs including Martha Stewart and Andrew Zimmern have filmed episodes here. It's not really pretty and you eat outdoors on picnic tables but the food is excellent. For us fruiters, the attraction is the huge fruit bins all over the place. They had fresh locally grown Mamey Americana, Guavas, Jocote (Purple mombins) Mamey Sapote, Mangos, Apple Bananas and even Soursop!. Prices for fruit were reasonable by Miami standards. If you are in Miami , you gotta come here for the full latino experience. I did not hear much English spoken by employees or customers but I imagine that some of the employees must speak it. It's the closet thing to traveling to Central America or the spanish Caribbean.

I love authentic Cuban food...that place looks awesome.  Bet they make a yummy Medianoche and Lechen Asado  :)  Washed down with a mamey shake and a cup of fresh squeezed cane juice.  What are the green fruits next to the americanas ?

Martha Stewart and Andrew Zimmern are not famous chefs, they are tv personalities that focus shows on food.
- Rob

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 09:14:12 PM »

I love authentic Cuban food...that place looks awesome.  Bet they make a yummy Medianoche and Lechen Asado  :)  Washed down with a mamey shake and a cup of fresh squeezed cane juice.  What are the green fruits next to the americanas ?

Martha Stewart and Andrew Zimmern are not famous chefs, they are tv personalities that focus shows on food.

Andrew Zimmern is a trained chef and he's pretty famous...look it up. Martha is a rich ex-con foodie!
FloridaGreenMan

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 09:22:21 PM »

Andrew Zimmern is a trained chef and he's pretty famous...look it up. Martha is a rich ex-con foodie!
I know he has culinary training (as do a lot of individuals but that doesn't make them a famous chef let a lone even a chef at all) and worked stints as a chef and running a restaurant.  He also was a drug addict, thief and a homeless person at a point in his life.  With that being said, I still would not consider him a famous chef.  A famous foodie, yes.  In comparison, Anthony Bourdain is a foodie like Andrew Zimmern but I WOULD call Anthony a famous chef.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 09:36:40 PM »
To add to the off topic ramblings of this thread, wikipedia says that Zimmern is a chef and that "He later gained wide acclaim during his four and a half year tenure as executive chef of Cafe Un Deux Trois in Minneapolis's Foshay Tower"... I think that may make him a chef.

I am going to make a new forum group especially for you Rob. It will be "Forum Antagonist". Lol

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 09:48:16 PM »
To add to the off topic ramblings of this thread, wikipedia says that Zimmern is a chef and that "He later gained wide acclaim during his four and a half year tenure as executive chef of Cafe Un Deux Trois in Minneapolis's Foshay Tower"... I think that may make him a chef.

I am going to make a new forum group especially for you Rob. It will be "Forum Antagonist". Lol
you might as well make me the mod of that group  ;) ;D

I never said he wasn't a chef, I said I would not consider him a "famous chef". 
- Rob

ianmaguire

• Tropical Fruit Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 01:01:44 AM »
They opened a Palacio de Los Jugos in Homestead over a year ago...I need to check it out and see if compares....I kinda don't think so but I'll report back

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 01:20:20 AM »

A boxful of delicous Mamey americana

Local bananas and mangos

Lots of Mamey sapote

Some HUGE and expensive Homestead Guavas. These are all bagged on the plant and free of pests. I have been to the farms that grows them!

Great pics Noel! that place has been around forever...great food but pretty greasy.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 02:48:02 AM »
Sounds like a neat place. Thanks for posting.
I think i would skip all their food, except for the fruits and shakes!  ;)
Oscar

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 07:09:40 AM »
They opened a Palacio de Los Jugos in Homestead over a year ago...I need to check it out and see if compares....I kinda don't think so but I'll report back

I have been to some of the other branch "palacios" but this one is the best.     
FloridaGreenMan

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 03:18:23 AM »

Where in Miami is it?
Oscar

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 08:31:37 AM »

Where in Miami is it?

Flagler Street and 57th Ave. That's 8 blocks north of Calle Ocho (SW 8th street).   

FloridaGreenMan

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 09:49:19 AM »
Hi FloridaGreenMan,

I really enjoyed all them pics  ;) 8) The guayabas look very crunchy 8) and the mameys also look very delish 8)

Thanks for sharing :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 09:52:08 AM »
Hi FloridaGreenMan,

I really enjoyed all them pics  ;) 8) The guayabas look very crunchy 8) and the mameys also look very delish 8)

Thanks for sharing :)

Glad you enjoyed them!
FloridaGreenMan

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 10:30:47 AM »
allow me to weigh in. completely beside the point, but I would much rather eat andrew zimmern' food than bordain's. I watched about 5-6 episodes of Bordain before I could no longer stomach the sight of his arrogant pretentious emaciated face. zimmern on the other hand has entertained me for several years and he strikes me as a genuine sincere foodie who loves peple and food in equal measure. zimmern may not be a famous chef but I would invite him to my house for dinner any day of the week. bordain on the other hand, in my opinion, is a prize winning douche.

i realize nothing to do with anything anyone has been talkig about but just wanted to vent!

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 11:40:18 AM »
Noel, great pictures.  Thanks for posting.  I agree that is a nice place to get a good fruit juice or milk shake.  :)
Adiel

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 12:02:50 PM »
allow me to weigh in. completely beside the point, but I would much rather eat andrew zimmern' food than bordain's. I watched about 5-6 episodes of Bordain before I could no longer stomach the sight of his arrogant pretentious emaciated face. zimmern on the other hand has entertained me for several years and he strikes me as a genuine sincere foodie who loves peple and food in equal measure. zimmern may not be a famous chef but I would invite him to my house for dinner any day of the week. bordain on the other hand, in my opinion, is a prize winning douche.

i realize nothing to do with anything anyone has been talkig about but just wanted to vent!

I totally agree with you...Anthony is a jerk >:( I like Andrew's show 8) He's very entertaining and  sometimes he cracks me up   ;D ;D ;D

Vent away... ;D ;D ;D  the forum is here to hear ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 01:05:14 PM »

Sorry to continue this disruption.  Funny, I thought it was just me that couldn't stomach Bourdain.  I really couldn't put my finger on why, but I never liked him as a host on a TV show.  Now that I read this, I know why......Gerry's description is right on.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 02:02:42 PM »

Sorry to continue this disruption.  Funny, I thought it was just me that couldn't stomach Bourdain.  I really couldn't put my finger on why, but I never liked him as a host on a TV show.  Now that I read this, I know why......Gerry's description is right on.

Harry
I think it is probably because he (Bordain) is a bit on the crude side, smokes too much and seems to like the grittier side of things...definitely could ruffle a few feathers!
BTW Noel those pictures are really nice. I might have to take a road trip there one day
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 02:04:22 PM by MarinFla »

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 06:13:55 PM »

Harry

so happy to hear im not alone in the universe and that at least 2 other people share my feelings about bourdain.!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 06:58:40 PM »

I think it is probably because he (Bordain) is a bit on the crude side, smokes too much and seems to like the grittier side of things...definitely could ruffle a few feathers!
BTW Noel those pictures are really nice. I might have to take a road trip there one day

In the last few years Bourdain got married, had a child and stopped smoking. He is no longer emaciated. His immortal remark was calling (famous chef) Alice Waters, "Pol Pot in a Muumuu" due to her efforts to get healthy food into public schools. Michelle Obama probably got the idea from gardening and locovore advocate Alice Waters who has been to the White House a few times

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 01:12:24 AM »
I gotta visit that joint. The fruit bins, while not full of tropical stuffs (I understand many tropical fruits are not yet in season), are worlds better than what I saw in Puerto Rico a couple weeks ago. I love soursop, fresh or in a shake. My tree will probably fruit after I'm dead, it's only about 1.5' now.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 02:53:53 AM »

In the last few years Bourdain got married, had a child and stopped smoking. He is no longer emaciated. His immortal remark was calling (famous chef) Alice Waters, "Pol Pot in a Muumuu" due to her efforts to get healthy food into public schools. Michelle Obama probably got the idea from gardening and locovore advocate Alice Waters who has been to the White House a few times

That's not a probable. That is a definite. It was Alice Waters and a bunch of organic gardening associations behind that push. Michelle had never gardened before reaching the White House and she confesses that.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 02:56:09 AM »

Where in Miami is it?

Flagler Street and 57th Ave. That's 8 blocks north of Calle Ocho (SW 8th street).

Thanks for the address. Moderators, can i suggest this place be included in places to visit in Florida if it's not already in there? Seems to me like a historical landmark for people in love with fruits and culture.
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 06:31:43 PM »

That's not a probable. That is a definite. It was Alice Waters and a bunch of organic gardening associations behind that push. Michelle had never gardened before reaching the White House and she confesses that.

I looked into it and you are correct. It's a good example to have a White House garden. They also have beehives. The man who set them up is a White House carpenter (always busy working on that old pile) who kept bees at home. Laura Bush never publicized it but she was also into local, organic, sustainable foods for the White House kitchen.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2009/01/15/34854/laura-bush-organic/
Yesterday, the Chicago Sun-Times’ Lynne Marek profiled the role of the White House executive chef, writing that to work for a president, a chef must “have strong culinary skills” and “be willing to check ego and politics at the door.” Quoting former executive chef Walter Scheib, Marek notes that First Lady Laura Bush has been “adamant” about eating organic food:

Both Clinton and Laura Bush were focused on the nutritional value of food, with Bush adamant about using organic products, Scheib says.

In a blog posting, Scheib wrote that Bush was “adamant that in ALL CASES if an organic product was available it was to be used in place of a non-organic product.” The fact that the first lady was “adamant” about organics at the White House is commendable, 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 06:55:37 PM »

I looked into it and you are correct. It's a good example to have a White House garden. They also have beehives. The man who set them up is a White House carpenter (always busy working on that old pile) who kept bees at home. Laura Bush never publicized it but she was also into local, organic, sustainable foods for the White House kitchen.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2009/01/15/34854/laura-bush-organic/
Yesterday, the Chicago Sun-Times’ Lynne Marek profiled the role of the White House executive chef, writing that to work for a president, a chef must “have strong culinary skills” and “be willing to check ego and politics at the door.” Quoting former executive chef Walter Scheib, Marek notes that First Lady Laura Bush has been “adamant” about eating organic food:

Both Clinton and Laura Bush were focused on the nutritional value of food, with Bush adamant about using organic products, Scheib says.

In a blog posting, Scheib wrote that Bush was “adamant that in ALL CASES if an organic product was available it was to be used in place of a non-organic product.” The fact that the first lady was “adamant” about organics at the White House is commendable,

Didn't know about Laura Bush and Hillary Clinton pushing for organic food at White House. Interesting, though the title of the article you post about Laura Bush is:  While Bushes Feast On Organic Food But Undermine Same Opportunity For American Families.
You might also be interested to know that the Chemical lobbies pushed very heavily against the use of the term "organic" for the White House garden.

Oscar