Author Topic: Durian tree.  (Read 10083 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Durian tree.
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 11:49:05 AM »
Please stop messing around with seedling durians in non tropical environments. By the time it reaches fruiting time they are enormous giant trees. You won't be able to protect it from cold spells. Grafted durian stays small and fruits early before they also outgrow you.  Its the only viable option.  Frankies didn't have grafted durians last year, and now they totally removed from their price list.

Not only that... phytophthora will likely kill it pretty quickly.

But if they want to try, why try to stop em. I doubt they will ever have the issue of the tree getting too big to protect from the cold.

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 04:18:38 PM »
Please stop messing around with seedling durians in non tropical environments. By the time it reaches fruiting time they are enormous giant trees. You won't be able to protect it from cold spells. Grafted durian stays small and fruits early before they also outgrow you.  Its the only viable option.  Frankies didn't have grafted durians last year, and now they totally removed from their price list.
You can start telling me what to do when I start using your money to buy my plants. Did you stop Karenrei from growing mango, lychee, banana, etc.  in Iceland? are you going to tell those northerners to stop their attempts to keep tropical plants now? Who made you the guru of tropical plants? Have you called Fairchild Botanical Gardens to stop growing their durian trees yet?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 04:26:04 PM by jegpg1 »

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 04:51:34 PM »
It is just a sincere advice, don't mean to be bossy in any way. Its your money, your life, your hobby. None of my business what are you growing. I just feel sad for people without facilities expecting bountiful durian harvest. They are setting up themselves for failure. That does not mean you because you are growing just for growing's sake. 
I recently visited large 25 foot celling greenhouse in zone 5 and it was awesome. Fruiting jaboticabas, soursops, etc. Fairchild has all facilities to grow anything. Karen is a special case because I remember her mentioning something about 40 feet tall green house being built attached to her house. With almost free heat and electricity in Iceland she can fruit anything. Perhaps even seedling durian. All the power to her.

You can start telling me what to do when I start using your money to buy my plants. Did you stop Karenrei from growing mango, lychee, banana, etc.  in Iceland? are you going to tell those northerners to stop their attempts to keep tropical plants now? Who made you the guru of tropical plants? Have you called Fairchild Botanical Gardens to stop growing their durian trees yet?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 04:55:24 PM by DurianLover »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 05:25:49 PM »
I have seen 20ft to 25 feet durian seedlings in fruit and they grow routinely in the Kuranda area at 400m alt and 17 latitude.In Cairns I have seen a seedling fruit at 15 feet.They are a tough gig especially in a cooler place but with the enormous genetic diversity and range of tolerances,small colder tolerant types are worth trialling.Unfornately where there are only a handful of varieties available to many enthusiasts and they end up saddled with poor prospects and the most unsuitable varieties.

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2013, 05:35:20 PM »
"stopping" people from attempting the nearly impossible is not advise. It is more of discouragement.  Hope you don't tell your children to limit their dream because they are doomed to fail. If failure was my goal, you just gave me a real push.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:42:19 PM by jegpg1 »

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 05:58:53 PM »
x
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 01:57:17 PM by plantlover13 »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 06:28:16 PM »
The point I made about Kuranda and in fact some parts of the Atherton Tableland where durian trees grow is that strictly speaking according to the Koppen classification the trees are growing in subtropical condition...but only just.Admittedly Florida had poor soil and arctic blasts.We have had this discussion before several time and it has been 'parked' as contraversial and unresolved.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2013, 08:15:02 PM »
"stopping" people from attempting the nearly impossible is not advise. It is more of discouragement.  Hope you don't tell your children to limit their dream because they are doomed to fail. If failure was my goal, you just gave me a real push.

In a group such as this, where people are purposefuly trying to push the limits, i don't think it's good to discourage anyone. I think it's ok though to tell people, especially growers with not too much experience, that a certain plant, like durian, is a very difficult one to grow way outside it's normal zone. This so they don't get too discouraged if they fail. Durian is especially difficult for many different reasons: seeds large, very perishable, and delicate. Scion wood very perishable, lasting about 2 days. Plants can't stand to be bare rooted. Grafting difficult for unexperienced, approach grafting being the easiest. Susceptibility to root rot and other diseases. So even for professional nurseryman this is a very difficult plant to grow and establish outside of the tropics.
All that said, actually growing durian outside of tropical range is not all too difficult. I think many people can have a durian house plant in heated/humidified environment, at least for some time. What is very very difficult is to fruit it outside of the tropics.
Oscar

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2013, 09:09:16 PM »
I have a seedling Durian in WPB Florida for sale, its about two feet tall in a three gallon pot (about two years old). $30 pick up only!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk