Author Topic: Pitangatuba vs Pitomb  (Read 2283 times)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
Pitangatuba vs Pitomb
« on: March 09, 2020, 08:15:03 PM »
Hey Forum,

Recently acquired a pitangatuba plant though I have never tried the fruit, curious to know how this stacks up against pitomba (which I’ve had) taste wise?

Joe

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: Pitangatuba vs Pitomb
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 08:38:05 PM »
These are two very dissimilar berries. Pitomba is a nicely balanced sweet-sour blend and dense fleshed.  Pitangatuba is extremely sour and very juicy, pretty much all juice and very little flesh. If I was in the mood for something extremely sour, the cas guava I have eaten at Fruit and Spice park have a better flavor and would be my choice.   Pitangatuba is probably great for making juice or ice cream but I am lazy and like to eat my berries without processing.  Pitangatuba ranks much lower than pitomba in my opinion.
Brandon

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 08:41:49 PM »
I have 10 pitangatuba and 2 pitomba and the pitangatubas
vary a little but the 2 pitomba are night and day.
I enjoy the pitangatuba but allot of people don't?
My pitomba, one is a superstar with 200+ fruit every year and the
other is a spindly tree that won't thrive but won't die. Eventually
as some of my potted trees mature the spindly one will get yanked.
I also really enjoy the pitomba but it is very different then the pitangatuba.
One big difference the pitomba blooms heavy in the Spring and the pitangatuba
fruits 9-10 months out of the year. Both have unique tastes and to me
don't remind me of the other. Both have a balance of acid and sweet.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 09:02:56 PM »
Pitangatuba + miracle berry=WIN

I have made syrups and spreads with the pitangatuba and some sugar and it's really good too.

Haven't tried pitomba.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 10:43:14 PM »
Hmmm, my pitangatuba is hardly sour at all.  Of course, I never eat them until they have actually fallen, but to me they smell and taste just like apricot jam on toast or bread. I always thought it was weird that it had a sort of bread-like taste...

Carolyn

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 06:36:56 AM »
Thanks for opinions guys, 👍.

Joe

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 01:10:31 PM »
Just an opinion here, I've been growing both for a few years. To me, pitangatuba is horrible. I even just tried it with miracle fruit. Absolutely horrible. It has an apricot taste for about a second & a half after miracle-fruit. However, I had to spit it out quickly as the intense sour was flipped over to intense sweet, and not in a good way.   It is ornamental though, but not worthy to grow as an edible.  Worse than suriname cherry.

Pitomba is pretty good. I currently have ~50 fruit on my bush.  It is more edible, but also just a novelty fruit. 

Pitangatuba was pushed a few years back at the rare fruit meetings and on this forum. Sure, may be improved variety, however, it is a stinky sour fruit not worthy of growing other than as an ornamental.   

« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 01:13:27 PM by Central Floridave »

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 03:33:59 PM »
Just an opinion here, I've been growing both for a few years. To me, pitangatuba is horrible. I even just tried it with miracle fruit. Absolutely horrible. It has an apricot taste for about a second & a half after miracle-fruit. However, I had to spit it out quickly as the intense sour was flipped over to intense sweet, and not in a good way.   It is ornamental though, but not worthy to grow as an edible.  Worse than suriname cherry.

Pitomba is pretty good. I currently have ~50 fruit on my bush.  It is more edible, but also just a novelty fruit. 

Pitangatuba was pushed a few years back at the rare fruit meetings and on this forum. Sure, may be improved variety, however, it is a stinky sour fruit not worthy of growing other than as an ornamental.   

I have heard that there is a big variation in taste between pitangatuba trees, there is a variation as well in leaf shape.
A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 11:13:23 PM »

Exactly, the pitangatuba is very sour...but some people like sour fruit so for them it must be great i guess.

TSmith

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 08:49:03 AM »

Central Floridave if you don't want your Pitangatubas I will take them! I love them. I have only had one that was intense sour. All the others i have had were an awesome sweet (mango, pineapple, floral flavor). I know there is so much vairation plant to plant, but this is true for pitomba and many eugenia.

Some people love some off of one plant but other plants taste horrible. I didn't really understand that until I started trying fruit off of friends bushes, and plant to plant there was so much variety. Like others have said, some tropical fruits make you think that the fruit is horrible, then you try another fruit off a different plant and you love the fruit.

Eugenia Calycina was like this for me. One tasted like spinach and cranberries combined, then another plant was as close to a rainier cherry as you could imagine.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 03:41:34 PM »
idk, i've had fruiting pitangatuba for about 5 years.  I do understand there is improved variety. Hey, same with suriname cherry...However, not searching for those.  I don't see how it can be improved.  It's an ornamental and conversation piece in my garden so it stays.  But, hopefully my point of view of someone who is NOT trying to sell you a plant weighs heavy.  Everyone who has tasted it spits it out immediately.  But, I have other friends who are growing it and they concur with my assessment. 

It should be labelled as super tart and barely edible to only those with taste buds that can tolerate it.  Like I said, even tried it with miracle fruit.   So many other good berry fruit to grow, unless you really want one, Pitangatuba is a fun word to say but do not recommend it for eating.   

For growing culture, it is very easy to grow.  Does better with moisture, but mine has survived droughts and a few hurricanes have shredded it but it recovers.  Its pretty when it is flowering and holding fruit. Its amazing how quick the fruit plumps up.  its hidden then all of sudden you walk by it and there is big and plump fruit.  Falls to the ground very easy, perishes quickly.  Maybe used as a jelly if you got time to make jelly. 

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 03:58:20 PM »
idk, i've had fruiting pitangatuba for about 5 years.  I do understand there is improved variety. Hey, same with suriname cherry...However, not searching for those.  I don't see how it can be improved.  It's an ornamental and conversation piece in my garden so it stays.  But, hopefully my point of view of someone who is NOT trying to sell you a plant weighs heavy.  Everyone who has tasted it spits it out immediately.  But, I have other friends who are growing it and they concur with my assessment. 

It should be labelled as super tart and barely edible to only those with taste buds that can tolerate it.  Like I said, even tried it with miracle fruit.   So many other good berry fruit to grow, unless you really want one, Pitangatuba is a fun word to say but do not recommend it for eating.   

For growing culture, it is very easy to grow.  Does better with moisture, but mine has survived droughts and a few hurricanes have shredded it but it recovers.  Its pretty when it is flowering and holding fruit. Its amazing how quick the fruit plumps up.  its hidden then all of sudden you walk by it and there is big and plump fruit.  Falls to the ground very easy, perishes quickly.  Maybe used as a jelly if you got time to make jelly.

Share the sentiment.. Insipid, sour, an unpleasant mushy texture, and very latex-y with a very unpleasant film on lips and teeth, and an extremely short harvest window before they seem to drop and rot. It's easy to grow, pretty, and interesting looking with fruits. But I and anyone i've had try it spit it out upon tasting it.
- Colin

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 06:38:27 PM »
In one of his videos, Adam from FFF said there were bad ones in Florida, including his first that he got from Fruit and Spice Park, but that the recent imports are better. Granted as you say he's trying to sell them.

TSmith

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2020, 08:48:11 PM »
In one of his videos, Adam from FFF said there were bad ones in Florida, including his first that he got from Fruit and Spice Park, but that the recent imports are better. Granted as you say he's trying to sell them.

Sorry to hear so many people have bad experience with Pitangatubas. I have had many from lots of varieties of plants here and Florida and I love them. The people I share them with love them too. But there are some that don't taste as good. Luckily my plants are selections from the ones I really like!

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2020, 12:20:08 AM »
Everyone’s taste buds are different.
You gotta keep tasting new things to find out whether you like them or not.
Some like it hot, some not. Variety is where it’s at though! Grow lots of different foods and flowers .
I’ve had Pitangatuba’s I like a lot and some that were a bit too sour for me. They seem to vary greatly from seedling to seedling. I’ve killed the Pitomba’s I’ve tried to grow, not the right weather for them in Northern California I suppose.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2020, 09:53:37 AM »
My pitomba fruited very well.  They are really tasty.

Now these fruit can be described as apricot tasting much more than pitangatuba!