Author Topic: FOR SALE: SURINAM CHERRY SEEDS- BRIGHT COLOR - NOT MUCH AFTERTASTE  (Read 15483 times)

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
Re: FOR SALE: SURINAM CHERRY SEEDS- BRIGHT COLOR - NOT MUCH AFTERTASTE
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2014, 10:47:02 AM »
Hi Friends,

My Surinam Cherry tree finally ripened around two dozen fruits and I thought someone here might be interested in seeds.

I am proud to say that this Surinam Cherry does not have much resin aftertaste, the unripe fruits taste a bit like tomato's and the ripe ones are a lot like honey.

Some of the fruits from this tree have no aftertaste but I cannot say that all fruits don't have an aftertaste.

Around 50% of the seeds are polyembronic.

$1.00 for three seeds.

You are saying some have an aftertaste others not - both ripe and from the same tree? That I have never experienced - but I understand from Adam the ecotype is different from the "common" Surinam cherry - though sounds more like environmental effect than genetic.
I don't know if anyone has tried to put a frequency to number of non-resin after-taste seedlings from a non-resin after-taste parent, but I would say grab your axe and be ready to chop trees, because it isn't good in my experience (1/5 ?).

I have definitely noticed pitangas can be variable....actually most trees I've encountered are this way...with some fruits tasting excellent and some fruits having a mediocre taste, all from the same tree.

This is likely for all fruits; some are getting too much shade others get a "damage" etc. all effecting taste - but the resin after-taste I have not encountered to vary from fruits on the same tree... (not yet)
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 11:45:21 AM »
Doesnt increased watering yield larger size fruit?  That is what I have found from my experience, at least.

i don't know....up to a certain point I don't think it helps...I acutally put a dish underneath one of my trees...thinking it would help the fruits get fat....but the surinam cherry really seemed to hate having wet feet (for about a month)...and most of the fruits turned out small and dropped.

now that i have the tree with more drainage, the fruits have improved in size and quality.

i guess lots of water is better than drought...but flooding for too long is not good for surniam....and some specimens just make small fruits no matter what.

Very interesting Adam, I have notice that my Zill from Excalibur hate wet feet but give me a larger fruit with abundant moistures & darker black ripening color than when it came out of Excalibur on the dry side, after finishing it fruiting last month.  I let it go super dry to the point it drop all its leaves, I water it heavily & fertilize it, & notice its flushing new leaves & some flowering now, this plant is now repoted in a 60 gallon pot.

On the other hand my blackstars are grown in airpots & some of them sits in three inch of water for the last three years & fruited first time last February, the one not in water emergence slow not robust & only starting flower now for the first time compare to the flooded on its second flowering for the year.  I let it go to dry so it will loose all its leaves & fertilize it and than let it sit in three inch of water ( killing mosquitoes larvaes every two weeks it seem a nuisance). My blackstar strain came from Hawaii wet area.

I read in Brazil or Israel that they get up to three & possibly four crops on a good year so I have decided to mimic to see if this is the case; so far fruiting have been lackluster but these 3 year olds bushes are small. However the Six feet tall multi trunk tree from Excalibur have shown a profanity for the greatest fruit production but small, maybe root bounded & barely water kept fruit small. A repotting to 60 gallon pot with organic should produce a larger fruit with better flesh ratio.  The purple Lolita is some what more robust than any other varieties but kind of shy in its flowering.  Vermilion Red seem to be pervasive to scale attack, so far no flowering in third year.  Seem like these guys trigger is wet or dry for cropping fruits.  Thank Adam Soren & Rob for more tidbits of insight.  FAU Red found at FAU boca Raton Campus on the canal next to R& Park has a nice tangerine flavor with resistance to scale & drought, root cutting have not flower yet after three years.  It seem for the most part they get to 3rd year from seedlings & fruit or to a certain three feet size setting & holding fruits.

Soren my black star seedling produce a 100 percent no resin true to it Hawaiian Parent, however one bush out of six flowering has red no resin fruit!  So I guess the red dominance trait show its dominane in term of color by sneaking back. Surinam seeds variance are so great its hard to say what you will pull out of Forest Gump's Chocolate box, there lies the thrill of breeding & selection!

Jack thank you for the the sweet honey & tomato taste description ( if taste like tomato I can get rid of my messy everglades tomato) sound to me this smooth skin varity will be an interesting strain for my Dr. Evil Work! PM Send. ;)
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 12:56:50 PM »
Do you guys cover the fruit, I have Surinam growing wild and hedged on the back of the property. However, majority of the fruit has maggots in it. The only ones I eat are the unripe ones which are sour and resinous at times.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 01:52:32 PM »
Do you guys cover the fruit, I have Surinam growing wild and hedged on the back of the property. However, majority of the fruit has maggots in it. The only ones I eat are the unripe ones which are sour and resinous at times.

Maggots are protein :)
- Rob

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 02:01:16 PM »

Its not appealing for me to eat the fresh fruit with maggots. I would not mind the maggots if the fruit was processed into a smoothie.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 04:20:02 PM »
you know i wouldn't mind the maggots if they didn't break down the fruit, and shit inside of it...it really takes away from the proper flavor and texture of a good fruit.

I will eat fruits that have been infested, but I usually feel with my fingers for the portion of the fruit that has not been eaten...the nasty parts are soft and hollow feeling....

i always throw the scraps of infested fruits into my rain barrels, for the maggots to drown....

sometimes I take infested fruits, and put them in a cup of water...the maggots drown, and try to escape...and this is one way to rid fruits of the maggots before consumption.

(yes, E. unifloras have maggots sometimes...but not all the time...just depends on the location, and how desperate the flies are for a food source....this year I haven't had any infestation...but last year I did....and at the same location, I'm having infestation in my pitombas...so I guess if they have a choice, they will choose a guava, pitomba, or cattley guava over a pitanga.)

Its not appealing for me to eat the fresh fruit with maggots. I would not mind the maggots if the fruit was processed into a smoothie.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 04:21:40 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2014, 12:18:09 AM »
Stephen I dont know why the wild resinous surinam attract so much maggots but I notice the no resin in my area does not attract fruit flies like the resinous one?? Maybe maggots taste bad with resin for predator so maggot get to pupae while no resin the maggot taste sweet to predators, maggot digest.  So maybe you plant a no resin variety & enjoy its sweetness!  ;D
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2014, 04:42:33 AM »
Sounds like you got a winner with a possible zone-pushing ecotype.! Here in tropical Africa I am good with the common type but otherwise I would have loved to exchange seeds  ;D
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2014, 07:20:52 PM »
Calling Adam, Oscar, Mike T or any other experts, does this look like a true Surinam Cherry or another species/hybrid?

At one point I had over 80 fruiting E. uniflora , after selecting the best I am down to 6 great ones in the ground plus a lot fruiting in planters . Never had a round one .

Unfortunately I dont think that they come true to type from seeds . The only one that does is my Lolita red . 0 astringency or aftertaste , only the fruits are small 1.5 cm.
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2014, 08:06:54 PM »
Luc - is your Lolita from Frankie's?
- Rob

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2014, 10:27:02 AM »
Luc - is your Lolita from Frankie's?

bsbullie , I got this from a Mexican collector about 15 years ago , all the offspring's from these ( multiple generations ) are 100% identical . The guy's land was sold for a new housing complex and he is not around anymore , I never asked where his tree came from .
I have another very similar and smaller one that I collected in the Campinas ( Brazil ) university fruit collection , fruits are maximun 1 cm , extremely sweet and very cute , something for the fanatic Eugenia collector , I am not sure if it is a uniflora variety , looks like it ...is ribbed .
My E. pitanga 's ( the dwarf ) do produce round and ribbed on the same plant .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

AnnonAddict

• Growing too many things at once
    • Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2014, 10:45:10 AM »
This is now out of season.

I will make a new post here once i get more fruit.

Thanks for understanding.
Jackson

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2015, 08:22:01 PM »
Unfortunately they do not come true from seed.

I am happy to contradict you bsbullie , the first ' rare fruit ‘ I started with ( I am talking 15 plus years ago ) and have been improving year after year was the E. uniflora .

I ended up with one that after 5 generations still comes true to the mother plant , ZERO aftertaste , super juicy , small 1.5 cm  bright red ribbed fruits .

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2015, 08:55:17 PM »
Luc - maybe you have one thst does but the many i have planted and many others i have seen planted out do not come true.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2015, 10:46:20 PM »
Unfortunately they do not come true from seed.

I am happy to contradict you bsbullie , the first ' rare fruit ‘ I started with ( I am talking 15 plus years ago ) and have been improving year after year was the E. uniflora .

I ended up with one that after 5 generations still comes true to the mother plant , ZERO aftertaste , super juicy , small 1.5 cm  bright red ribbed fruits .

Luc, are you selling seeds of this zero aftertaste surinam that is true to seed atm?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2015, 12:43:04 PM »
Luc - maybe you have one thst does but the many i have planted and many others i have seen planted out do not come true.

That’s right bsbullie . The one I am talking about is probably a subspecies ??? I brought the original back from Brazil , Campinas university .

If there are still fruits I will take a picture next to other Surinam cherries .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north