Author Topic: Papayas  (Read 8110 times)

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Papayas
« on: November 26, 2012, 04:38:39 PM »

Recently I visited a friend who was growing some excellent papayas. Awesome sweet taste, super dwarf and very productive. The plants on he pictures were 3-4 month old! His two main cultivars were Tainung and First Lady. But I also tasted a malaysian cultivar, maybe the best papaya I have eaten so far. I just forgot the name...

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Papayas
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 05:19:43 PM »
That's a wicked graft, the trunk splits down to its base and still successful.
Tim

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 05:48:04 PM »
Manalive!

this is a wicked thread!

thanks for sharing.

are those black sapotes in the background??

Guessing game guessing game, I get to play the guessing game!

;D ;D All of your posts have great pics in the foreground and background!  Double the fun...I get to see your post, and play the guessing game !
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 06:11:44 PM »
Adao, I swear I will blurr the background next time  ;D

I had to check the pictures again... I only can see a rose apple (S. jambos) and a lucuma... BTW, I got a grafted lucuma. The cultivar is La Molina #4. They say it´s a fantastic lucuma. For the record: La Molina is the AG research station from the university in Lima, Peru.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 06:19:58 PM »
NO! don't blur out the background!

Thanks for filling me in! I lose again at the guessing game!

(PS, in the mexican baby thread I guessed about a different container of seedlings!  it was the one above the hand in the picture, I thought maybe a small community pot of Alibertia edulis?  But maybe I'm wrong again!) Guessing game!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 09:20:17 PM »
Hay Dios Mio, Felipe!

I mean those Papayas are almost laying their fruit on the ground! 
and Yeah, I bet they do taste awesome....great pics!

Mango Perrito

JeffDM

• USA, San Diego, Ca. 92129. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 09:24:36 PM »
It only took 3-4 months to grow a fully fruited papaya plant?
What am I missing here?

bocah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 09:25:30 PM »
wow alot of papaya fruit...
nice trees

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 09:51:36 PM »
Love these pictures,   

I have heard of the Tainung numbered varieties, I think i can make out a Tainung 2, and a Tainung 1 in the pictures,  cannot see the names of the others, do you know the name of the one you like the best?

as for the one that fruited in 4 months, is that 4 months from seed, or from grafted tree ?

thanks for those excellent pictures.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 09:58:15 PM »
Papaya fruiting that close to the ground always look tres cool, but if you have rats, possums, squirrels, mice, raccoons, opossum, playful dogs, chickens, ducks, guinea fowl, bush turkey, two left feet etc, you are not going to get a chance to harvest them.

I was hoping to try growing one of the tainung varieties, a red lady and another from Taidong, but I recently put in about 6 from good fruit Mike sent seeds of and I'm running out of space! After years of avoiding papaya because they are a putrid tasting weed around here, I have fallen back in love with the good types.  ;D

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 04:58:31 AM »
What am I missing here?

Yes, papaya is a fast grower, specially with good climate and good cultural practices. The plan of my friend is to let them grow and produce for only one year and then replace them for new plants...

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 05:08:09 AM »
Love these pictures,   

I have heard of the Tainung numbered varieties, I think i can make out a Tainung 2, and a Tainung 1 in the pictures,  cannot see the names of the others, do you know the name of the one you like the best?

as for the one that fruited in 4 months, is that 4 months from seed, or from grafted tree ?

thanks for those excellent pictures.

Willy, I remember seing  a Tainung 2. I thought he just had numbered the plants.. LOL

The one I liked the most was this malaysian one, I think the name was Sunrise (?), but I`m not sure. Anyways, These are all fantastic tasting papayas, I really love them! So I got 5 seedlings back home  ::)

Concerning the speed of production, as far as I know it does not really matter wether a plant is grafted or not. My seedlings also usually start to produce after a few month..

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 05:14:10 AM »
Papaya fruiting that close to the ground always look tres cool, but if you have rats, possums, squirrels, mice, raccoons, opossum, playful dogs, chickens, ducks, guinea fowl, bush turkey, two left feet etc, you are not going to get a chance to harvest them.

I was hoping to try growing one of the tainung varieties, a red lady and another from Taidong, but I recently put in about 6 from good fruit Mike sent seeds of and I'm running out of space! After years of avoiding papaya because they are a putrid tasting weed around here, I have fallen back in love with the good types.  ;D

The advantage of living on an island is the lack of fauna. Only rats could be a problem, but not if you have well trained dogs  8)

I agree. When I was a kid I didn`t like them too much, only if they were very ripe and with lots of honey. But improved cultivars are very tasty!

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 05:15:53 AM »

Wow.

Love papayas but they lack sweetness in my location. Problem is that they set fruit early on, but
take for ever to ripen them...

How long will those fruit start to color up?

Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 05:35:47 AM »
How long will those fruit start to color up?

Hmmm... considering that it's wintertime, I think the first papayas should be ready in 3 weeks...

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 05:56:07 AM »

BMc, you left box turtles off of your list of papaya thieves....
JC

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 06:27:35 AM »
Those tree's look awesome!

But what is a sweet papaya? I only know the ones in Thailand that i can eat on for a few pieces but the flavor and sweetness is not strong enough for me to make it a fantastic fruit. The texture is good though.

With what can i compare the most sweet papaya? Now i only eat green papaya in Sum Tam a thai salad with garlic, fishsauce, sweet, sour, spicy and some tomato.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 06:59:01 AM »
Hola Felipe :o

These low producing papaya's are so freak'n awesome :o 8) The lowest for my papaya were less than a meter from the ground to produce and shortest time to flower was 6 months from seed. The cv is Red Bisex Papaya.

The trick to get papaya's to flower early is to plant them very early in the year...mid-fed to march, this way the papaya's will have a long season to grow, flower and set fruit...the quality of the seeds is also important :)

Thanks a bunch for sharing...truly breath taking :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 09:25:58 AM »
What am I missing here?

Yes, papaya is a fast grower, specially with good climate and good cultural practices. The plan of my friend is to let them grow and produce for only one year and then replace them for new plants...

Papayas will produce very well for at least 2 years, sometimes 3, so don't know why your friend wants to replace them after only 1 year?
Oscar

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 09:30:58 AM »
I can never get the fruit to ripen this far north (Raleigh NC). This year I planted year old seedlings (raised as houseplants) and one of them took off and by the middle of summer it looked a lot like the plants in the photos. I assumed the fruit on the tree by the end of June would ripen by late October but they never did. I ate enough green papaya salad to make me sick of it. I ended up digging the tree and potting it up and hope to keep it alive in a greenhouse and see what the fruit tastes like. The last photo with the graft inspires me to try grafting if I ever find a variety with good flavor.

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 09:47:33 AM »
What am I missing here?

Papayas will produce very well for at least 2 years, sometimes 3, so don't know why your friend wants to replace them after only 1 year?

Seems like he's growing then under some sort of structure. Maybe they get too tall.
At my location, under plastic, they grow fast, with considerable spacing between the internodes, and they would need to be replaced
every two years for sure. Sadly, they do not taste close to the best grown in the tropics, except for a few fruit harvested early autumn.
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 10:15:09 AM »
What am I missing here?

Seems like he's growing then under some sort of structure. Maybe they get too tall.
At my location, under plastic, they grow fast, with considerable spacing between the internodes, and they would need to be replaced
every two years for sure. Sadly, they do not taste close to the best grown in the tropics, except for a few fruit harvested early autumn.

If he's growing dwarf or semi dwarf papayas then growing under cover should not be a problem even after several years as they will never get very tall. Even standard papayas can be chopped and encouraged to grow and fruit lower down.
Oscar

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 08:05:11 PM »
What am I missing here?

I was thinking the same thing.  commercially plantations usually replace after 2 years. as the production drop after the second year warrants  the replacement.  but this is for commercial plantations, for the home grower, I think 3 years is just fine,  after that they get kind of tall, the production really starts to drop, and are affected by high winds.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2012, 05:08:06 AM »
What am I missing here?

If he's growing dwarf or semi dwarf papayas then growing under cover should not be a problem even after several years as they will never get very tall. Even standard papayas can be chopped and encouraged to grow and fruit lower down.

Ok. But papayas seem to behave differently in the subtropics, although in the Canaries they might behave differently.
The internode separation is greater, leading to taller plants. I seem to recall Ariel, from Israel, insisting in this problem.

At my location under plastic, they grow tall (1.5m+) before flowering and by the time the first fruit matures, they are already 2m, or so. I used selected seed and
I did try to cut down one, but I did not see much difference. It was Autumn, maybe I should have done it early Spring.
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, 06:35:40 PM »
Ok. But papayas seem to behave differently in the subtropics, although in the Canaries they might behave differently.
The internode separation is greater, leading to taller plants. I seem to recall Ariel, from Israel, insisting in this problem.

I have this problem too.

This is my first attempt to grow a papaya in my city. The pic was taken at the end of august. The plant have been gowing vigorously for all the summer, but just since May. Before that, i didn't even get the seeds to germinate. No sign of flower whatsoever. I tried to transplant it when winter hitted, but i killed it during my efforts.
Plants kept in pot on the other hand, are still alive but they look miserable right now (an tiny compared to that one).
By the way i think that internodes elongation has something to do with average sun "quality" (expecially regarding spectrum) because during the summer i don't see any other adverse factor (sun stays 70° high in sky, it stays up for 14 hours, and temperatures go well over 85F).
I notice that kind of behaviour also in cactus.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.