Author Topic: Signs of sunscald on avocado and remedy that looks decent  (Read 947 times)

Yook

• USA, Florida, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
Signs of sunscald on avocado and remedy that looks decent
« on: April 08, 2019, 08:45:30 PM »
Howdy. I planted my avocados about a month back and they get pretty much full sun. They've each defoliated about 30-50% and haven't grown since planting. I attribute much of this to transplant shock, but keep seeing where full sun on young trees can be rough on them.

Several questions:
1.) What does sunscald on avocados look like? The leaves are yellowing before falling off but the trunk looks pretty normal even on the north side.
2.) Do I even need to worry about sunscald?
3.) What can I do to prevent sunscald besides painting it white? I am not too big a fan of the ghost tree look. Will brown or green paint suffice?
4.) How long until you guys normally expect a tree to start growing?

Thanks much. The cherry of rio grande, mango, and avocados are all still sitting putfor now but my loquat and muscadine are looking great.

poofystuff

• Melbourne, Florida 9B/10
    • View Profile
Re: Signs of sunscald on avocado and remedy that looks decent
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 09:47:27 AM »
Sunscald will turn the green trunk/branches to a brownish color. I have one in my yard now with a branch that has it... if I get a chance I will take a picture to show you.
If you prune and shape your trees properly, you won't have to worry about it long term. You should have leaves that create a nice canopy to shield the trunk and branches. The biggest risk is for young trees. It can lead to fungal issues and branches to die. IV organics has a 3 in 1 with a green, brown, or white color that is an alternative to the white paint. It also is supposed to help stop rodents from gnawing the bark (if thats a potential problem for you). Its a bit pricey though (~$30 for a pint I believe). There is another thread here that is talking other options, you may want to read through it.

Defoliation is normal as trees grow. I'd just give it some time and you should probably see some new growth soon, assuming they are correctly watered, fed, and the weather is cooperating.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 07:52:15 AM »
Pay extra attention to the westward side of the tree which gets the most intense afternoon sun. Also horizontal branches exposed to noonday sun. I have some older trees which had been neglected in the past and can easily see the trunk bark burned on those specific areas.

chad6159

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 08:44:44 AM »
You can buy cheap indoor white latex paint, mix it 50/50 with water and paint the trunks and any exposed branches. I did this with my avocado tree and 2 peach trees.

Plenty of stuff on the internet about it. It has to be indoor latex paint, some exterior latex paints contain antimicrobial ingredients which can harm the trees.

I didnt do my first peach tree in time and you can see where it got sunburned and is all cracked and peeled open.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk