Author Topic: If you like PINA COLADAS  (Read 3688 times)

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
If you like PINA COLADAS
« on: February 07, 2018, 11:54:24 AM »
If you like Pina Coladas

There getting lost to the rain

If you like spraying trees at midnight

then you'll have no reason to complain

If your not into mangos

Then you have half a brain!

One more disappointing year for my Pina Colada, looks like no fruit will set thanks to the wet winter despite spraying for anthracnose and PM. is anyone else having any luck? I have yet to get to even try one. Thank goodness i'ts in a 45gl pot and I wont have to dig it up or waist the yard space on it if it keeps these shenanigans up. 

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: If you like PINA COLADAS
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 08:01:06 PM »
Ours has fruited ok the last 2 years despite growing in a bad spot.

It’s too small for commercial growing but the flavor is incredible.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 08:38:01 PM »
It's a little too early, as flowers have just started opening, but I do have some small bb's on mine.
Jeff  :-)

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 08:43:56 PM »
Mine produced a medium/heavy load last year, after a few years of frustratingly low production.  Currently in the early stage of flowering.

Definitely worth growing if you have patience and can get it to produce.  They are like little Flavor Bombs.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 09:46:33 PM »
Last year mine set a ton but I took my eyes off of it for like 3 days and bam!!! Powdery mildew explosion killed them all off.  You guys make a strong case for keeping it, I guess not holding any fruit will just make it grow bigger and better for next year.  Would it do better in The ground?  Does anyone have pictures of their trees for comparison?

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 09:56:25 PM »

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 06:02:30 AM »
Mine is loaded with flowers for the first time in its fourth season. Blooms from December were lost due to wet weather but it’s been dry and fairly breezy here since and the trees have been kept pretty free of moisture compared to last year so I’m hoping to try fruit from it this year as well as pineapple pleasure that has been blooming for a couple years but dropped all fruit.

amberroses

• 10a- Tampa Bay area
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 08:31:30 PM »
Mine flowered for the first time in year 2. No fruit set that year. Last year, the 3rd year, it flowered heavily, but almost all the flowers were male. It was heavily affected by powdery mildew. It dropped the few fruit that set, so I cut off all the flower spikes. It rebloomed and this time had mostly perfect flowers with little disease. It produced 7 fruit. I picked one too early to ripen because I was afraid of my squirrels. The squirrels got one. I ate four good ones and one squirrel nibbled one (I'm not proud.)

This year it was in the process of blooming when the temperature got down to 30 degrees. The freeze killed all the flower spikes and about 10% of the leaves and some wood. It is now starting to push new flower spikes.

The taste was terrific. It reminded me of its parent Dot. Dot had a more complex tartness and PC had a more complex fruitiness, in my opinion. I really liked the fruit and the tidy appearance of the tree.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:36:11 PM by amberroses »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 08:01:06 PM »
Production aside, Piña Colada flavour makes my top 10, a tough thing to do.

clannewton

• Brevard County, Melbourne , FL 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 02:16:58 PM »
Last year mine set a ton but I took my eyes off of it for like 3 days and bam!!! Powdery mildew explosion killed them all off.  You guys make a strong case for keeping it, I guess not holding any fruit will just make it grow bigger and better for next year.  Would it do better in The ground?  Does anyone have pictures of their trees for comparison?

Here is both of mine in bloom, in Melbourne Florida

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 02:25:15 PM »
I can only speak about my own Pina Colada. It started off slowly but now is a good producer. 5-6 years old. An anonymous looking mango, smallish, yellow, tastes great. Thanks goes to Rupert Holmes for coming out with a great mango. BTW he produced records for Barbra Streisand  http://www.rupertholmes.com/record/barbra.html

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 04:38:07 PM »
I can only speak about my own Pina Colada. It started off slowly but now is a good producer. 5-6 years old. An anonymous looking mango, smallish, yellow, tastes great. Thanks goes to Rupert Holmes for coming out with a great mango. BTW he produced records for Barbra Streisand  http://www.rupertholmes.com/record/barbra.html
Isn't this piña colada a zill's mango?
El verde es vida!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 07:14:23 PM »
Yes, zands is just being zands.

Isn't this piña colada a zill's mango?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 02:14:46 PM »
My PC has pretty strong fruit set so far. The only problem I've had with mine has been that it doesn't like to bloom as much as I'd like.

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 03:32:14 PM »
Is it normal for this tree to (or any mango tree for that matter) to produce flowers directly after new flush? I thought mine was going to disappoint because it only produced 3 flowers and the rest turned into new flush, but now it appears in the center of the new flush some flowers are appearing and even some new flush that actually has flowers on the stalk directly below the flush. Is this normal?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 06:40:28 PM »
Is it normal for this tree to (or any mango tree for that matter) to produce flowers directly after new flush? I thought mine was going to disappoint because it only produced 3 flowers and the rest turned into new flush, but now it appears in the center of the new flush some flowers are appearing and even some new flush that actually has flowers on the stalk directly below the flush. Is this normal?

Yes, happens to lots of mangos whenever cold weather is followed by hot weather, which all our winters have been like for the last 5 years or whatever.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 03:55:12 AM »

Here is both of mine in bloom, in Melbourne

Your trees look great Dwight. Mine is dieing back like it has fertilizer burn but I don't remember giving it any more than anything else? Luckily I just cleared out some room to actually put it and a few other trees in the ground with full sun so maybe it will recover. 🤞

amberroses

• 10a- Tampa Bay area
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 09:53:31 PM »
Update: My Pina Colada made it through a hurricane and 30 degree temps this year. It has plenty of rebloom and perfect flowers! No obvious disease yet and I've been spraying sulfur. I'm feeling hopeful about this year's crop.