Author Topic: Does Frankies Red Dragonfruit Do Good in FL?  (Read 3630 times)

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Does Frankies Red Dragonfruit Do Good in FL?
« on: November 23, 2017, 07:37:24 PM »
Does anyone in FL have Frankies Red Dragonfruit? if so how well do they do?

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Does Frankies Red Dragonfruit Do Good in FL?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 07:16:22 PM »
I Don't grow it myself but i don't see why it wouldn't grow here in florida... its a tropical plant so it should do fine
only way to find out if to give it a try and see how it turns out over time if you plan to try it keep us updated

I'm going to try growing them myself just need to get some cuttings soon
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 07:21:07 PM by Evildeadguy »
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 09:02:41 PM »
I Don't grow it myself but i don't see why it wouldn't grow here in florida... its a tropical plant so it should do fine
only way to find out if to give it a try and see how it turns out over time if you plan to try it keep us updated

I'm going to try growing them myself just need to get some cuttings soon
Thanks Just the 2 places i found online for them are out until Apr 2018. and while i was waiting i was making sure since only seen on east coast wasnt due to not handling the humidity or something

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 09:53:31 PM »
Frankie's Red is a Hylocereus megalanthus and Hylocereus polyrhizus cross.

Here in SoCal Hylocereus megalanthus is one of the Dragon Fruit least tolerant to high heat and cold temperatures.

It has been my experience that Frankie's Red is a slow grower.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 10:08:07 PM »

Here in SoCal Hylocereus megalanthus is one of the Dragon Fruit least tolerant to high heat and cold temperatures.

Slow grower, but taste? what i read is a great taste. haven't tried. thanks. i also read stuff shortly about Asunta DF, But not much info where to get. just a couple of youtube videos of Edgar Valdivia. Thanks for input

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 12:31:24 AM »
Slow grower, but taste? what i read is a great taste. haven't tried. thanks. i also read stuff shortly about Asunta DF, But not much info where to get. just a couple of youtube videos of Edgar Valdivia. Thanks for input

In a couple of days I will be able to comment on taste.

My first (and only) Frankie's Red fruit.

Don't get me started on "Asunta".  There is not just one variety of Asunta.

There are Edgar's Asunta 1, 2, 3, & 4 and "Asunta" seedlings Edgar gave people who most are calling Asunta 4 & 5.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 06:50:27 AM »

There are Edgar's Asunta 1, 2, 3, & 4 and "Asunta" seedlings Edgar gave people who most are calling Asunta 4 & 5.
Thanks i Was able to find out very little info about Asunta DF, but cant wait in a couple of days please update comment on taste. also any insight on the Asunta's thanks
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 07:06:04 AM by FamilyJ »

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 11:42:02 AM »

i remember reading about this one
something stuck in my head about it being LESS tolerant to cold than other DF.
as i thought all megalanthus were also.

http://vric.ucdavis.edu/ucd-access/VC3%20workgroup/VegCropsPT_2016/05_Lobo_VegCropsPT2016.pdf

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 03:14:51 PM »

i remember reading about this one
something stuck in my head about it being LESS tolerant to cold than other DF.
as i thought all megalanthus were also.

http://vric.ucdavis.edu/ucd-access/VC3%20workgroup/VegCropsPT_2016/05_Lobo_VegCropsPT2016.pdf

Thanks for Sharing the Information

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 12:32:32 PM »

Thanks i Was able to find out very little info about Asunta DF, but cant wait in a couple of days please update comment on taste. also any insight on the Asunta's thanks

Today was the day...
BRIX measured 22
It is a winner... tasted very good,
but not very productive or good grower for me.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 12:48:15 PM »

Today was the day...
BRIX measured 22

Man that looks good, and did it taste like something similar to explain? like everyone says one of the Asunta's has a hint of cinnamon,  I love that it looks unique too. Thanks for Sharing info

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 05:48:12 PM »
Today was the day...
BRIX measured 22

Man that looks good, and did it taste like something similar to explain? like everyone says one of the Asunta's has a hint of cinnamon,  I love that it looks unique too. Thanks for Sharing info

It tasted like Megalanthus, not complex, just sweet. I think that the uniqueness of hybrid and the flesh color are a plus.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 10:40:46 PM »
At my place, it grows and fruits well once established. I got two crops this year, one crop that ripened several months ago and I have another crop ripening now. My plant is severely neglected but it still gave me about 10-15 fruit with the early crop and it’s probably got about 10 or more Fruit hanging now.

The Frankie’s Red and the H Megalanthus seem to have similar growth rates and once they put on some size, they can grow and branch quickly. These two varieties are are especially good for home growers because they fruit later in the season and can hold on the vine for a long time. I’ve had Dragonfruit year round because Fruit left on the vine will stay good in my cold weather for months.

These two varieties also have thorns on the fruit which is bad for commercial growers but the spines are excellent for deterring critters from eating them.

Simon

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 10:51:45 AM »
At my place, it grows and fruits well once established. I got two crops this year, one crop that ripened several months ago and I have another crop ripening now. My plant is severely neglected but it still gave me about 10-15 fruit with the early crop and it’s probably got about 10 or more Fruit hanging now.

The Frankie’s Red and the H Megalanthus seem to have similar growth rates and once they put on some size, they can grow and branch quickly. These two varieties are are especially good for home growers because they fruit later in the season and can hold on the vine for a long time. I’ve had Dragonfruit year round because Fruit left on the vine will stay good in my cold weather for months.

These two varieties also have thorns on the fruit which is bad for commercial growers but the spines are excellent for deterring critters from eating them.

Simon

Year round does sound good since not doing commercial and different types at different times sounds good

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 11:40:58 AM »
Yes, it’s wonderful to harvest Dragonfruit in Fall and Winter. I just went into the yard and checked my vine and it’s got 21 Fruit still hanging in different stages of maturity.
Fully green

Green Yellow, starting to color up

Fully ripe

Simon

Dragon2019

• USA , Ca diamond bar
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 05:53:31 PM »
Hi everyone,
I am living in chino hills ca. I am looking for Frankies Red dragon fruit cutting.  Anyone living close by can give me some Frankies Red cutting?

Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk