Author Topic: Mulberries that won't bear  (Read 4120 times)

FrankA

• View Profile
Mulberries that won't bear
« on: June 05, 2012, 09:29:17 PM »
I have 3 varieties of mulberries . The wild Florida variety bears a little with farily good sized fruit but not many of them . The other is a white mulberry and it  will have a few more in  number of green small berries but they never develope and ripen and just disappear(see pics) . The last one is a huge tree and will have loads of green berries but they just disappear and none ever ripen. What is wrong or am I not doing something which I should .

You can see the white mulberry pics that the tree doesn't have a lot of leaves and this is in May 2012. The larger tree that will have lots of green fruit has lots of leaves and is over 30 feet tall

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mulberries that won't bear
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 09:43:14 PM »
Birds eating them?
Har

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 09:50:18 PM »
try the foil trick...wrap up fruits on branches with foil..works for jabo!!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 02:07:08 PM »
Hey, that is a great idea using foil for jaboticaba.  I have a tree that is loaded and I notice rodents pick one or two, or three a day.  I keep picking them early, but think I'll try the foil wrap. Thanks!

FrankA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 09:23:36 PM »
I will try that but it will be hard to cover all the fruit on a mublerry . I don't think it is birds as I would htink it would have ot be swarms of thne to eat all the berries on my big tree and I see very few on it . There are squirrels but it is hard to imagine that they eat everyone in 2-5 days even while they are small and green. I was thinking it was a nutrient deficiency or lack of a certain ferilizer or lack of prunng  that would cause it
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 09:25:23 PM by FrankA »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 09:31:19 PM »
good luck foil users!

if you search forum for keyword "tin foil" or "foil", you should be able to find my pics of foil wrapped jabo trees.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 01:47:37 AM »
FrankA:  Where are you located?  Mulberry Trees have a reputation for being trouble free to grow and bear fruit.  If the berries are disappearing (not falling on the ground), then something is likely eating them. 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 11:43:58 AM »
"There are squirrels but it is hard to imagine that they eat everyone in 2-5 days "

LOL.  Really?   I find it easy to imagine and have seen it. Also, birds, specially crow, will flock in and strip fruit trees all within a few minutes. 

I see you have St.Augustine grass so the mulberry is getting plenty of water.  Maybe that is what is causing it low fruit production???  My tree gets zero water and it produces great. 

I did have a Thai everbearing that never got fertilizer or water and overproduced. It was eventually taking out by a neighbor due to it was on a shared easement.  But, good riddance as it dropped fruit on the pavement and stained it unsightly.  Now I just have the Tice variety and it also never gets watered and fertilized and it produces a lot.   However...you have to pick them daily when they turn black otherwise birds/squirrels will take them.

To me, and I'm definitely no expert, but IMHO, mulberry needs no care to produce fruit. 

also, tonight I'm going to cover my jaboticaba with foil.  I did a forum search and didn't see any photos.  But, I'm just going to wrap the whole limb and fruit with foil. 

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 11:49:41 AM »
"There are squirrels but it is hard to imagine that they eat everyone in 2-5 days "

LOL.  Really?   I find it easy to imagine and have seen it. Also, birds, specially crow, will flock in and strip fruit trees all within a few minutes. 

I see you have St.Augustine grass so the mulberry is getting plenty of water.  Maybe that is what is causing it low fruit production???  My tree gets zero water and it produces great. 

I did have a Thai everbearing that never got fertilizer or water and overproduced. It was eventually taking out by a neighbor due to it was on a shared easement.  But, good riddance as it dropped fruit on the pavement and stained it unsightly.  Now I just have the Tice variety and it also never gets watered and fertilized and it produces a lot.   However...you have to pick them daily when they turn black otherwise birds/squirrels will take them.

To me, and I'm definitely no expert, but IMHO, mulberry needs no care to produce fruit. 

also, tonight I'm going to cover my jaboticaba with foil.  I did a forum search and didn't see any photos.  But, I'm just going to wrap the whole limb and fruit with foil.
The squirrels stripped my macadamaia tree of EVERY nut overnight...nothing but chewed open shells scattered under the tree and across the driveway to the neighbors...bastard squirrels!!!

I can't believe "caring" for the mulberry would cause it NOT to fruit.

If you were to have the green/white mulberry you wouldn't have the staining issues.
- Rob

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 11:57:03 AM »
Speaking of Macadamia, I'm getting ready to take out a 20 foot tall tree due to not being able to get any nuts due to squirrels.  They suck for sure.   

One year I got two 5 gallon bucket full of macadamia.  Then the following year squirrels discovered it.  That was about 5 years ago and I haven't got a nut since.  Also, they are just too difficult to open and process.  They are very tasty (Dana White variety), but geez the squirrels are just crazy over them and I can be shooting them at the same time and that doesn't even shoo them away.   !   

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 12:11:38 PM »
Speaking of Macadamia, I'm getting ready to take out a 20 foot tall tree due to not being able to get any nuts due to squirrels.  They suck for sure.   

One year I got two 5 gallon bucket full of macadamia.  Then the following year squirrels discovered it.  That was about 5 years ago and I haven't got a nut since.  Also, they are just too difficult to open and process.  They are very tasty (Dana White variety), but geez the squirrels are just crazy over them and I can be shooting them at the same time and that doesn't even shoo them away.   !
I hear you.  I have the Dana White...regardless of the difficulty "processing" the nuts, I love the beauty of the tree.  I actually purchased it in a 25 gallon as a shade tree for my front yard.  Last year was the first year but I don't recall the quirrels decimating it like they did this year.
- Rob

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 12:54:32 PM »
Squirrels are monsters, once they get the gig of anything, they bring back army of squirrels, the whore brigade and go on all out attack. They did that to my 25 tomato plants last season. Each plant was loaded with 10 to 15 tomatoes, and in two days all gone, green, or ready to ripe, GONE!

FrankA

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 06:16:08 PM »
I like sqirrel stew or fried. Gives me an excuse to thin the herd.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk