Author Topic: Market Day Again How good are You?  (Read 2500 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Market Day Again How good are You?
« on: June 08, 2012, 02:23:28 AM »
Another week goes by and I went to the market and could not help myself.Well I did help myself.Here is what I go helped out by some backyard volunteers.I would not insult people by naming all the species and varieties but no one on the planet could get this lot down to variety level off the top of their head.50% is a pass mark.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Market Day Again How good are You?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 02:29:21 AM »
Recognize everything in the photo, but certainly couldn't name the varieties, and why should I? Yours are totally different than ours.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 02:53:51 AM »
Oscar that is just the point they are obscure varieties outside this area.For size references the mano melon is 4lbs 6oz,the flying saucer black sapote is 3lbs 10 oz and the biggest malay apple is 11 oz so most are larger than they appear.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 03:16:51 AM »
Oscar that is just the point they are obscure varieties outside this area.For size references the mano melon is 4lbs 6oz,the flying saucer black sapote is 3lbs 10 oz and the biggest malay apple is 11 oz so most are larger than they appear.

OK, and how are we ignorant Yanks supposed to know about your down under varieties? You want me to post photos of Hawaiian mangos for you to ID?  :o
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 03:54:43 AM »
Oscar the point was don't bother trying to guess the varieties as most are un-named or different from those of other places. The locals here wouldn't know them anyway. Just try to ID  the species or types to a general level is what I was suggesting.It might be better to name them and let the market thread die a natural death.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 04:19:57 AM »
Oscar the point was don't bother trying to guess the varieties as most are un-named or different from those of other places. The locals here wouldn't know them anyway. Just try to ID  the species or types to a general level is what I was suggesting.It might be better to name them and let the market thread die a natural death.

OK, but end of your message seemed to me to say you had to name 50% to get a pass mark from you? I hope you give me a passing mark teacher! 

Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 04:44:52 AM »
Oscar that was pretty well identified alright.I'll be a little more specific then.The melon is the popular orange fleshed mango melon.The black sapotes are 2 popular types loosely called baseball and flying saucer (maher derivative).The 2 canistels are a high quality fairchild like un-named types and a moist sweet backyard ype much like Ross.The guavas are mexican cream and P.guineense 'pineapple or candy sweet'.The passionfruit is the commercial panama red flavicarpa which is almost as good as the giant sweet red flavicarpa.The bananas are monkey bananas the most expensive type at the market.The starfruit is B10,the tangerine is emperor (emperor of canton mandarin),the malay apple is the sweetest local one from cebu originally,the tamarillo is a prolific semi-feral type and the persimmon is red sweet seedless crunchy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk