Author Topic: New mango varieties from Zill - Lil Gem, Ambrosia, Delores, Kathy and Nancy  (Read 46634 times)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: New mango varieties from Zill - Lil Gem, Ambrosia, Delores, Kathy and Nancy
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2016, 03:45:23 PM »

I have had both Cotton Candy and Seacrest. They are both excellent. Definitely top tier, for my taste buds at least.
Please describe Seacrest--flavor, appearance, when it ripens, tree characteristics.  Thank you.  (You're in Coral Springs.  Nearby.  Good to know, or should I say, "Good to know you"?!!)  You must have a lot of mango trees.

I don't have a tried but after tasting Seacrest from Walter in 2015, I was so impressed that I had Har top-work it on to my Glenn. From what I have seen, it is a vigorous grower; Seacrest and Edgar are the two that have grown the most of the varieties that were top-worked.  From what I recall, it is a mid to late season mango. I do not know how to describe the taste, but it was the best mango that I had that year.  Sizable fruit. The taste and texture reminded me of Coconut Cream and Ugly Betty, for some reason.

Glad to meet you, John. I thought I would be happy with just a couple of trees, but these Zill varieties were just too tempting. I have about 15 mango trees now, with a few other varieties topworked.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2016, 03:47:14 PM »
Yes, Rob always seems to have the most experience with and most comprehensive knowledge of Zill mangos.  (He must be an honorary member of the family by now.)
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2016, 03:52:49 PM »

I have had both Cotton Candy and Seacrest. They are both excellent. Definitely top tier, for my taste buds at least.
Please describe Seacrest--flavor, appearance, when it ripens, tree characteristics.  Thank you.  (You're in Coral Springs.  Nearby.  Good to know, or should I say, "Good to know you"?!!)  You must have a lot of mango trees.

I don't have a tried but after tasting Seacrest from Walter in 2015, I was so impressed that I had Har top-work it on to my Glenn. From what I have seen, it is a vigorous grower; Seacrest and Edgar are the two that have grown the most of the varieties that were top-worked.  From what I recall, it is a mid to late season mango. I do not know how to describe the taste, but it was the best mango that I had that year.  Sizable fruit. The taste and texture reminded me of Coconut Cream and Ugly Betty, for some reason.

Glad to meet you, John. I thought I would be happy with just a couple of trees, but these Zill varieties were just too tempting. I have about 15 mango trees now, with a few other varieties topworked.

Guess you missed my post from the previous page.  Seacrest is the later part of early season to mid season.  Texture is similar to its parent, Edward.   No similarity in texture to Coconut Cream which is a softer texture.  Size of the fruit is in the medium class.  Bigger than a Carrie but smaller than Keitt, Fruit Punch, Pineapple Pleasure, Providence and the other biggies.
- Rob

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2016, 03:58:38 PM »

I stand corrected. Yes, the mango was definitely smaller than a Keitt. Awesome mango, but have heard that it is not the most productive variety.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2016, 05:04:28 PM »
I stand corrected. Yes, the mango was definitely smaller than a Keitt. Awesome mango, but have heard that it is not the most productive variety.

On average, production is moderate (though with any variety it can vary from year to year...I have seen anywhere from light to almost heavy).

One thing to keep in mind, cayse it seems peoe have been commenting and judging varieties based on productivity...there are not a lot of varieties where production is consistently heavy (those who have top worked one branch should not be the best judge).  The only think that might upset me is if production was consistently light, and by consistently I mean every tree in every lication.  Not one individual's tree in one location.  There are a handful of excellent varieties in Gary's collection that are of super high quality but have not been, and may never be, released due to actual light production.
- Rob

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2016, 05:24:01 PM »
Any first hand knowledge on Ambrosia?  Being named after the "Food of the Gods" is a lot of hype to live up to.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2016, 07:35:51 PM »
K-3, "Kathy" is one of my favorites.  Creamy texture, top-tier excellent flavor, skin covered with resin sparkles that show proper maturity for picking.  In 2015, I picked from over a dozen 'Kathy' trees at different Zill-owned locations, from most of early season, all through mid-season, and partly into late season.  (This length of season did not occur on an individual tree--- so differences of soil and sun exposure and irrigation systems apparently contributed.)
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2016, 07:37:22 PM »
Let's not forget 'Fruit Punch'!   Definitely top-tier.
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2016, 07:44:32 PM »
'Nancy' and 'Deloris' are late season, very-good-to-heavy producers, with better fruit-skin resistance to anthracnose (on original trees in 2015) than 'Kent' and 'Keitt'.  Their flavors:  just good enough maybe to compete with traditional late-season varieties, such as 'Keitt', and such as 'Kent' as it is often grown.
Har

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2016, 07:50:04 PM »
'Ambrosia' was so named because it was in row A.  I didn't taste enough of it to form an opinion.
Har

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2016, 08:05:02 PM »
Glad to see everyone weighing in on these excellent varieties! Can anyone point me in the direction of a nursery that is selling any of these top tier varieties, or to someone who will be selling scions after harvest. I would really appreciate it. It seems like the mango fanatics are all in South FL and here in central FL there is not the same enthusiasm. Thanks for any help! I would be happy to buy or trade. I mostly have jaboticaba varieties if that's interesting to anyone has need. (Red, grimal, sabara)
John

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2016, 08:48:04 PM »
'Nancy' and 'Deloris' are late season, very-good-to-heavy producers, with better fruit-skin resistance to anthracnose (on original trees in 2015) than 'Kent' and 'Keitt'.  Their flavors:  just good enough maybe to compete with traditional late-season varieties, such as 'Keitt', and such as 'Kent' as it is often grown.

From your description they seem like work horses geared towards commercial production.
If they can come close to Keitt in terms of season and have a higher disease resistance then they might have a place in my yard.

Its nice to see some of the newer Zill releases aren't solely focused on flavor.
Is there anything in the pipeline for early season varieties, like Rosa and Dwarf Hawaiian? All i know is Guava

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2016, 10:15:41 PM »
K-3, "Kathy" is one of my favorites.  Creamy texture, top-tier excellent flavor, skin covered with resin sparkles that show proper maturity for picking.  In 2015, I picked from over a dozen 'Kathy' trees at different Zill-owned locations, from most of early season, all through mid-season, and partly into late season.  (This length of season did not occur on an individual tree--- so differences of soil and sun exposure and irrigation systems apparently contributed.)

All characteristics inherited from its parent,  ZINC, which has a early and late crop...the late crop is distinctly of better quality.
- Rob

Barnacle1982

• Miami, florida Usa 33176
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2016, 12:36:40 PM »
How is the disease resistance on these variables, and are they productive?

Dada

• Ecuador
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2016, 03:19:09 PM »
How about disease resistance of all these wonderful varieties? Particularly how susceptible are they to anthracnose?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2016, 03:21:10 PM »
Hmm, this sounds enticing. Is either as late as keitt?

Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2016, 03:21:53 PM »
How is the disease resistance on these variables, and are they productive?

As Har stated, Nancy and Delores appear to have very good disease resistance.

I commented on Lil Gem above.

From what I have seen, Kathy appears to be a decently clean tree...as are its parent and sister, ZINC and Sweet Tart.

The only one I am not positive of is Phoenix  however Gary is not accustomed to releasing varieties that have known poor/bad traits.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2016, 03:23:42 PM »

Delores is late like Keitt  (not sure I would say into October/November but definitely well into September.   The problem with Delores is that it is not top tier quality.
- Rob

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2016, 07:49:30 PM »
'Kathy' is not particularly disease resistant on the fruit skin, as it tends to have many mini cracks in the skin.  I hear it has been grossely atacked with anthracnose and other such fungi in very wet times.  I didn't see any of that in 2015.

I believe we can safely recommend 'Kathy' for lower-humidity areas, such as the sandy intra-coastal ridges, within the influence of the sea breeze, here in southern Florida.
(I would like to see someone with a grove in the acreage, who sprays quite a bit, to try it--- as a challenge.)
Har

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2016, 08:58:29 PM »
'Kathy' is not particularly disease resistant on the fruit skin, as it tends to have many mini cracks in the skin.  I hear it has been grossely atacked with anthracnose and other such fungi in very wet times.  I didn't see any of that in 2015.

I believe we can safely recommend 'Kathy' for lower-humidity areas, such as the sandy intra-coastal ridges, within the influence of the sea breeze, here in southern Florida.
(I would like to see someone with a grove in the acreage, who sprays quite a bit, to try it--- as a challenge.)

I dont see this any different than than its parent or sister (I know your take is its anthracnose however I am not convinced that is the cause of the skin cracking...I believe shape of the fruit, with its squared shoulders, are the cause of the craxking).  Even the ZINC and Sweet Tart trees at Walter's have exhibited these conditions however not all the fruit on any specific tree seems to be affected.  I would go further that under normal South Florida conditions (I say normal cause as you mentioned, some seasons the climate  can be extremely wet which can wreak havoc on mamy varieties  not normally affected) they so not seem to exhibit much in the way of detrimental issues.

As you said, the Kathy fruit were clean in 2015, and I will add I saw them similarly clean in previous yeats.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2016, 12:59:10 AM »
That's fine. Keitt isn't a top tier mango either :-).

Delores is late like Keitt  (not sure I would say into October/November but definitely well into September.   The problem with Delores is that it is not top tier quality.
Jeff  :-)

Barnacle1982

• Miami, florida Usa 33176
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2016, 08:31:56 AM »
Are they good producers, and how is the disease resistance on these varieties?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2016, 08:57:36 AM »
That's fine. Keitt isn't a top tier mango either :-).

I have had Delores over the last few years and they do not even compete with the level ofna Keitt.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2016, 08:59:24 AM »
Wouldn't it be super-useful if we could come up with a chart listing all the Zill introductions of the last few years, starting with Lemon Zest and Sweet Tart, and include fruit information, tree information, ripening season for South Florida, and a rating of 1 to 5 stars?  You know, all-the-information-in-one-place kind of chart.
John

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2016, 10:38:00 AM »
On 'Kathy' the mini cracks appear on clean fruit and are harmless and barely noticeable in dry weather, and probably re-seal--- so definitely not "caused by anthracnose".

The mini cracks that occur freshly during wet weather are open invitations to bacterial and fungal decay organisms, including anthracnose.   This occasional issue caused Gary Zill's hesitance to release this variety, but several of us campaigned until he relented.
Har