Author Topic: E-4 mango  (Read 4056 times)

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
E-4 mango
« on: February 12, 2016, 04:00:34 PM »
Does E-4 mango go by any other name?
Has Zill released it yet (no, and no plans to the last I read about it. But that my have changed now)?
Is it possible to get scion wood from it if it is not released?

This last question is an honest 'I don't know'. I don't know if it kosher to ask for budwood if it not released. Certainly not if it is patented or patent pending. But even if there are not plans to do either, perhaps Zill's doesn't want it circulating around?
- Mark

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: E-4 mango
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 05:36:21 PM »
F Zill released it yet (no, and no plans to the last I read about it. But that my have changed now)?

This last question is an honest 'I don't know'. I don't know if it kosher to ask for budwood if it not released. Certainly not if it is patented or patent pending. But even if there are not plans to do either, perhaps Zill's doesn't want it circulating around?

I've taken to calling it "Mounds" but they've given it no official name that I'm aware of.

The answer to the other questions is "No"

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 05:48:58 PM »
F Zill released it yet (no, and no plans to the last I read about it. But that my have changed now)?

I've taken to calling it "Mounds" but they've given it no official name that I'm aware of.

While it has been known by some as mounds, Gary was not keen on the idea of using that name due to infringement on the candy bar name.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 07:34:14 PM »

While it has been known by some as mounds, Gary was not keen on the idea of using that name due to infringement on the candy bar name.

Other possible infringing names: Ugly Betty & Sweet Tart

Edit: corrected spelling due to auto correct
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 09:34:29 PM by murahilin »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 07:50:08 PM »

Other possible infringing names: Ugly Better & Sweet Tart

Trus...just saying what the response was when Mounds was mentioned to him the year before.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 12:37:05 PM »
:-) Gary is extremely averse to distributing budwood, unless the recipient's name happens to be Richard Campbell -- to the point of annoyance actually. Gary had a delicious kent seedling mango for which I begged and pleaded for either a tree or budwood. After requesting budwood for over a year, he ended up destroying the tree. So, it is now forever lost unless Walter has a copy somewhere.

I get the concept of not giving out budwood for reasons such as patenting or constraining the early market. However, refusing to give out budwood for a tree that's going to ultimately be destroyed seems odd.
Jeff  :-)

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 08:33:02 AM »
However, refusing to give out budwood for a tree that's going to ultimately be destroyed seems odd.

"Odd", is putting the matter in a mild manner, actually. You must be a very kind person because I wouldn't comment that kind of behaviour so favourably if it was directed towards me, unless, of course, he has its own hidden reasons which we can't know.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 09:37:10 AM »
While I understand Jeff's frustrations,  here are some reasons that have been conveyed to me.

If the mother tree is still in existence,  there are possibilities the tree is still under evaluation.  There is nothing saying Gary isdone releasing any of these varieties.  Fruit Punch as an example just being released lsst year, and a couple other supposedly in the release pipelines.   If there are any possibilities of it being released,  the creator sure wouldn't want others to have and distribute that budwood /plants under prior to ZHPP nsming and releasing.   Not only would or could it be a naming /identification issue, but it would not be the right business practice for it to be in circulation prior to ZHPP's release.

With that being said, there is nothing saying that E-4, Karen Michelle,  M-4, J-12 or any other of the varieties people want wont be released in the coming years.  Nobody knows what Gary will do, we will just have to wait...

With the case of destroying the tree, with the exception of Honey Kiss (the story of which I am not going to repeat), if Gary feels they are flawed for some reason to the point of destroying the tree,  he has good reasons for not wanting it distributed.Think of it this way...if it has a bad chacharacteristic and he gives out budwood which get soread to many people, and the glaw becomes expised a nd recognized,  people may ask, "who developed this tree and why on earth are they propagating it?"  When it comes back to Gary and his ownership of ZHPP,  that could and most likely would give a bad reputation to the Zill name.  If you were in Gary's shoes, would you want that?

With respect to sharing the material with Richard Campbell,  thst is a totally different story which I am not even going to comment on.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 09:40:41 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 10:44:04 AM »
This seems reasonable and i was thinking something along those lines when i talked about some "hidden reasons".
Not getting i plant you really want/like is really frustrating, but it has to be acknowledged that when someone runs a big company he has to take a lot of precautions that may appear unreasonable at first sight. And if his patented plants make earn him money, the good quality/reputation of the clones produced has to remain immaculate. I see the point.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 10:49:30 AM »
I don't think either of those reasons applies in my case. They did tell me that I could pay to have a batch of 50 grafted at the cost of around $500. But, I didn't think it was financially wise to pay for 50 trees when all I needed was one :-).

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 01:34:02 PM »
I don't think either of those reasons applies in my case. They did tell me that I could pay to have a batch of 50 grafted at the cost of around $500. But, I didn't think it was financially wise to pay for 50 trees when all I needed was one :-).

You probably should have at that time.  I think his thinking has since changed. 
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 02:59:25 PM »
:-) I probably would have laid down 100 bux for a tree. But $500 plus having to care for 50 trees seemed a little steep. We even went to the point of asking friends in the nursery business if they would be interested in splitting the cost -- 25 trees each. My wife and I both thought the mango was awesome: the same kent flavor but with a firm flesh a bit less tart. The only problem was that it was susceptible to fungal infection.

At any rate, Gary's contributions to FL mango variety outweigh the budwood stinginess. I could probably survive on just lemon zest and sweet tart :-). But, it would be nice if Gary were more like Walter when it comes to sharing budwood.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 12:38:56 PM »
:-) Gary is extremely averse to distributing budwood, unless the recipient's name happens to be Richard Campbell -- to the point of annoyance actually. Gary had a delicious kent seedling mango for which I begged and pleaded for either a tree or budwood. After requesting budwood for over a year, he ended up destroying the tree. So, it is now forever lost unless Walter has a copy somewhere.

I get the concept of not giving out budwood for reasons such as patenting or constraining the early market. However, refusing to give out budwood for a tree that's going to ultimately be destroyed seems odd.

Providence is a Kent seedling and produces excellent fruit.
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 02:01:29 PM »

The actual parent of Providence is unknown.   Assumptions have been made but since it was a chance seedling, its all guesswork.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 02:24:28 PM »
I stand corrected.
John

naturelover

• Zone 10a. Western Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 03:25:21 PM »

The actual parent of Providence is unknown.   Assumptions have been made but since it was a chance seedling, its all guesswork.

There must be dozens of chance seedlings growing on Walter's property every year - how does he pick which one to let grow?  Just curious

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk