Author Topic: How are your Cherimoyas doing?  (Read 24265 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: How are your Cherimoyas doing?
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2017, 10:42:28 PM »
Wow Thera!  That could be used as a weapon.  Is it common for Pierce to get that large.  My Pierce is too small to fruit yet, so just curious.

This is my first monster Pierce. I've never had one beyond 1 pound.

Exactly
- Rob

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2017, 11:10:38 PM »
Wow Thera!  That could be used as a weapon.  Is it common for Pierce to get that large.  My Pierce is too small to fruit yet, so just curious.

This is my first monster Pierce. I've never had one beyond 1 pound.

Exactly

2.5lb is NOT a record breaking Pierce...

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2017, 03:36:37 PM »
I would like to forget 2016 Anona season, never seen this bad season every. all my fruits fried during 118 degree heat wave, then no fruit sets. got may be 5 or 6 that are size of golf ball that will never mature.

heard about disaster tasting at CRFG Irvine today, glad I skipped.

Looking forward to Mangoes for 2017, hope these rains dont ruin the plans.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2017, 07:09:15 PM »
I would like to forget 2016 Anona season, never seen this bad season every. all my fruits fried during 118 degree heat wave, then no fruit sets. got may be 5 or 6 that are size of golf ball that will never mature.

yes Behl, the fruits were washed out from all the rain. The highest score I gave was 2.5 out of 5, four moyas received a 0 I spit them out. We'll right off this year and look forward for next years crop....I'll post pix later

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2017, 07:28:48 PM »

yes Behl, the fruits were washed out from all the rain. The highest score I gave was 2.5 out of 5, four moyas received a 0 I spit them out. We'll right off this year and look forward for next years crop....I'll post pix later

Hey Frank, which variety did you give the 2.5 to?  I liked Orton the best of those in the tasting.  It had decent texture and a nice mango/pineapple finish.  I also liked the Nata as well.  The first one I tasted was quite good and had more acid and a bit of a citrus finish, which I liked.  I went back to taste the Nata again, but there was a fresh serving and it was not as good. The Pierce I had was okay, but a bit grainy and maybe washed out in taste?
Bob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2017, 08:51:00 PM »
Pierce grainy?  Never had a grainy Pierce,  even the smallest runt version.  Usually the knock on Pierce by some is too sweet and not sufficient subacid level.  I, personally have never had this problem with Pierce...for me, that is one reason that makes it so good.
- Rob

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2017, 08:52:54 PM »
I liked Bumpo the best... I bought 2 bags and have no idea what I got since they are so hard to distinguish. Wish they would have labeled them. It was my first time trying cherimoya. Glad I liked El Bumpo since that is 1 of 4 varieties I planted last year.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2017, 09:09:53 PM »
Yeah, compared to decent cherimoyas, everything today was pretty meh. El bumpo was gone when I got to it. The 3 pieces of pierce I got were decent. One piece was actually pretty sweet. I ate at least 3 pieces of everything before giving a score. I compared them on each other so I gave the pierce a 5.

Does anyone have a photo of the varieties and numbers? I forgot to take a photo. Gaahh!

Any idea what that Serena variety is? I was informed it's not part of the collection there.

Both this and last year were much less than what they could have been.

Good news is they're doing the next one in December, so that's before most of the rains.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2017, 09:15:28 PM »

Hey Frank, which variety did you give the 2.5 to?  I liked Orton the best of those in the tasting.  It had decent texture and a nice mango/pineapple finish.  I also liked the Nata as well.  The first one I tasted was quite good and had more acid and a bit of a citrus finish, which I liked.  I went back to taste the Nata again, but there was a fresh serving and it was not as good. The Pierce I had was okay, but a bit grainy and maybe washed out in taste?

Maybe I came late to the party. the ones I had were subpar and rancid. I came with AZ and a couple of friends and we were all displease with the quality of the moyas......it's too bad because the crfg and South Coast extension volunteers were working their butt off. Orton was the one I rated the highest Pierce and Knight score an uncharacteristic 1, Rob gets primo Pierce his description is on the money.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 12:51:06 AM by JF »

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2017, 10:17:00 PM »
Yeah, compared to decent cherimoyas, everything today was pretty meh. El bumpo was gone when I got to it. The 3 pieces of pierce I got were decent. One piece was actually pretty sweet. I ate at least 3 pieces of everything before giving a score. I compared them on each other so I gave the pierce a 5.

Does anyone have a photo of the varieties and numbers? I forgot to take a photo. Gaahh!

My first Cherimoya tasting. I was a little disappointed.

Being a total noob with no experience, I liked Big Sister, Booth, El Bumpo, Knight, and Pierce the best.

I spit out Nata and Santa Rosa.

Yes, I got video of the numbered varieties. Will post information later.

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2017, 10:18:42 PM »
Pierce grainy?  Never had a grainy Pierce,  even the smallest runt version.  Usually the knock on Pierce by some is too sweet and not sufficient subacid level.  I, personally have never had this problem with Pierce...for me, that is one reason that makes it so good.

The Pierce I had was one that was served late.  I would say it could have been a little under ripe which may be a factor in the graininess.  It was only a bit grainy (like a pear) near the skin.  The rest of it was good. A Dr. White I tasted elsewhere fits that description you gave Rob.  It could have been mistaken for a Pierce, I never really got to see the entire fruit, but extremely sweet, almost too sweet (over the moon goodness)!  Some Cherimoya fruit at the tasting were over ripe and others were under ripe, so it is hard to determine for my first tasting where the benchmark should be for each variety.  Hopefully, at the next tasting in December, I'll have tried additional examples.
Bob

Guayaba

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2017, 10:24:47 PM »

Maybe I came late to the party late the ones I had were subpar and rancid. I came with AZ and a couple of friends and we were all displease with the quality of the moyas......it's too bad because the crfg and South Coast extension volunteers were working their butt off. Orton was the one I rated the highest Pierce and Knight score an uncharacteristic 1, Rob gets primo Pierce his description is on the money.

Some of the good stuff was gone within 30 minutes.  I didn't even get to try an El Bumpo - all gone by the time I bought my bag of Cherimoyas and I got there 15 minutes early.  Maybe next year, I will just do the tasting and not get in line for the bag first.  The SCREC workers were indeed running around to keep up with demand.  It was well attended!
Bob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2017, 10:30:47 PM »
Did anybody lose this at the tasting?

- Rob

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2017, 11:39:34 PM »
I was early but tried several pieces before doing the rating. The Nata I got was pretty bad. Overall most fruits were just frost damaged. I got to El Bumping with 3 bad looking pieces left and got to try 1. It was not amazing. Earlier tasters thought it was good.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2017, 12:50:19 AM »
I want to emphasize that the event was well coordinated and it's free of charge so I take my hat off to them. It was not their fault the fruits were waterlogged. Here are some pix

image hosting over 5mb

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2017, 12:52:30 AM »
I was early but tried several pieces before doing the rating. The Nata I got was pretty bad. Overall most fruits were just frost damaged. I got to El Bumping with 3 bad looking pieces left and got to try 1. It was not amazing. Earlier tasters thought it was good.

Frost damaged?   ??? ???
- Rob

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2017, 01:01:13 AM »

Frost damaged?   ??? ???

it's not frost damage...this was by far the worse cherimoya tasting I've ever attended.

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2017, 11:06:44 AM »
Jeff, i would like to buy sionwood from you come spring. You got any idea as to what month you usely have them available? I got my Mr.Minh in my basement under lights and it fills have of the alotted space. Last summer it bloomed a lot but i let the tree grow more. I have to prune it a lot come spring. It is very good grower here.

luak

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2017, 11:12:31 AM »
Reply on page 4 about my Mr. Minh tree growing in Arkansas.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2017, 01:46:18 PM »
Reply on page 4 about my Mr. Minh tree growing in Arkansas.

I see luak. I will have a list of scions available in March and it'sfranknotJeff.

luak

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2017, 01:51:44 PM »
Sorry, Frank no more mistake. Can't wait!, Bob.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2017, 05:15:41 PM »

This year Peter's Santa Rosa is up there with El Bumpo and Pierce in terms of taste and size. It has a perfect balance of sweet and tart with a little bit of chewy texture that I personally like. This is also my first Santa Rosa over 1 lb. Growing condition and timely picking matter.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 06:15:51 PM by kh0110 »
Thera

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2017, 05:45:54 PM »

This year Peter's Santa Rosa is up there with El Bumpo and Pierce in terms of taste and size. It has a perfect balance of sweet and tart with a little bit of chewy texture that I personally like. This is also my first Santa Rosa over 1 lb. Growing condition and timely picking matter.

It was interesting hearing different people's opinion. It is possible that we tasted different pieces of fruit.
I was one of the first to go through the line. When I went back after comparing notes with a couple of people, some of the varieties were gone.
If you started much after 10:30 AM, you missed out.

My opinion on Deliciosa was different than my friend. I talked to two people (one from San Diego) who commented about the taste of certain varieties this year.

I wish now that I could have gotten an expert's comments on this year's sub par tasting on my video.  ;)

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2017, 05:59:32 PM »

Kudos to Peter he grows the best cherimoyas around!

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2017, 06:31:01 PM »
Yes, kudos to Peter! He has a small crop this year but it's compensated with quality and big size. SCREC might want to source from his orchard for the next tasting and onward! :)
Thera

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk