Author Topic: How are your Cherimoyas doing?  (Read 24235 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: How are your Cherimoyas doing?
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2016, 12:53:24 AM »
From my memory, I believe I typically graft Cherimoyas around April or May. Frank is an Annona expert and he knows when best to graft. Frank, where you at😁😎
Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2016, 10:42:57 AM »
From my memory, I believe I typically graft Cherimoyas around April or May. Frank is an Annona expert and he knows when best to graft. Frank, where you at😁😎
Simon

I start grafting anonnas late February early March. Atemoyas and ilamas are first and the rest from April to May.

venturabananas

• USA, CA, Ventura, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2016, 04:11:41 PM »
Simon

I start grafting anonnas late February early March. Atemoyas and ilamas are first and the rest from April to May.

That's probably the best time -- and Frank would know -- but you can definitely have pretty decent success at other times, too.  September has worked pretty well for me, too.  Just strip the leaves below the graft to get the plant pushing.

venturabananas

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2016, 04:14:39 PM »
Just wanted to see how everyone's Cherimoyas are doing. I've had some health issues this year so I haven't been maintaining my garden and I only hand pollinated my Cherimoyas early in the season. With Santa Anna conditions today, I expect many of my fruit to get blown off, drop or get sunburned.
Simon

I had record fruit set this year (for me), but that brutal Santa Ana a month ago, which set heat records here in Ventura, caused a bunch of fruit to drop from sunburn or cracking.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2016, 05:40:25 PM »
Venturabanana, how many are you getting now?

I was thinking cherimoya production would have to move more coastal and north now that we're heating up here.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2016, 06:55:57 PM »
Just wanted to see how everyone's Cherimoyas are doing. I've had some health issues this year so I haven't been maintaining my garden and I only hand pollinated my Cherimoyas early in the season. With Santa Anna conditions today, I expect many of my fruit to get blown off, drop or get sunburned.
Simon

I had record fruit set this year (for me), but that brutal Santa Ana a month ago, which set heat records here in Ventura, caused a bunch of fruit to drop from sunburn or cracking.

These heatwaves have been non stop these last two months worse with the low humidity and Santa Ana's. Like Behl, I loss my first two fruit sets in June and some of the atemoyas that survived a sunburn. Ventura, you are right you can graft anonnas successfully anytime of the year in SoCal but the ideal time is from March to May you'll get 95% take.

venturabananas

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2016, 02:14:06 AM »
Venturabanana, how many are you getting now?

There are still lots hanging, but I normally don't get ripe fruit until December.  I think I'll get some earlier this year, but I'll have to wait and see.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2016, 01:59:08 PM »
Got my first Pierce of the year....very early...as well as anona rosada, birula and big red

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 02:06:34 PM by JF »

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2016, 02:14:13 PM »
yummy. Makes me happy just looking at it.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2016, 04:51:00 PM »
Beautiful fruit Frank, the hot dry winds knocked off half my fruit.

Simon

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2016, 05:12:55 PM »
My small grafted cherimoya all look like hell here after the hot humid Florida summer. It's like they almost go dormant for the summer then start trying to flush out come Fall. I have one cherimoya in ground that's a grocery store cherimoya seedling (likely Cumbe seedling then?) That looks pretty happy and stayed so through summer.
Dom

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2016, 10:34:27 PM »
Got my first Pierce of the year....very early...as well as anona rosada, birula and big red

You picked your Big Red way too early, Frank.
The heatwaves dropped the few El Bumpos that I let developed this year. Only a nice McPherson is still holding on.
Thera

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2016, 12:45:57 AM »
TheDom, yes, they slow down around April-May in my area and lose a lot of leaves. It's like they think they're still in South America.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2016, 03:51:27 PM »

You picked your Big Red way too early, Frank.
The heatwaves dropped the few El Bumpos that I let developed this year. Only a nice McPherson is still holding on.

SA are hard to pick I don't want it to drop and splash like last year. Cherimoyas that set and held early are ripening. The ones I pollinated late August are tiny

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2016, 08:27:03 PM »
Here's what I just found on the ground. The wind was blowing today but it was very gentle, the lightning and thunder storms last night must have blown all these Moyas off. Several of these fruit were already half eaten. I prefer hand harvesting these fruit, I hope these drops will ripen properly. Luckily most of them are still firm.

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2016, 02:22:32 AM »
Do you guys use something to catch the falling fruits? I use bird netting tied to the perimeter twigs and look for dips where the fallen fruit will be. It also seemed to discourage rodents from climbing up the truck. Of course that's only for years where I get at least 10 fruits in a tree that I can't remember where they all are.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2016, 08:25:19 AM »
I don't use anything to catch my Cherimoyas but I do use plastic clamshell strawberry boxes to catch my mangos.  I have so many weeds, herbs, veggies and vines beneath my cherimoya tree that it cushions the landing. I know, I need to clear this away, just been a bit lazy.

Simon

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2016, 11:26:12 AM »
I have many small fruit still set but are slow growing,the heat wave burnt some top tier leaves but other than that doing OK now with humidity going up!

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2016, 05:28:31 PM »
I've been getting Selmas, Santa Rosas, and this Burton cherimoya. This is the first Burton fruit I have had and it was dang good, very similar to Pierce. Anyone else had the Burton? The scions came from the South Coast research station in Irvine.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2016, 08:55:12 PM »
I don't recall ever a dating Burton. Looks like a nice fruit though. Good size, nice shape and sounds like high Brix? Does it have good acidity?

My holy grail of cherimoya is a fruit with good sweetness, juicy, large fruit with few seeds and most importantly, very high acidity!

Simon

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2016, 10:52:31 PM »
I don't recall ever a dating Burton. Looks like a nice fruit though. Good size, nice shape and sounds like high Brix? Does it have good acidity?

My holy grail of cherimoya is a fruit with good sweetness, juicy, large fruit with few seeds and most importantly, very high acidity!

Simon

Simon what moya has captured this taste for you so far? The best one I tried to date came from an Asian Market of all places with amazing sweetness and high acidity which was mouth popping Lemon sweetness which kinda of took over the typical cherimoya flavors... Besides that rogue un-named moya, I say El Bumpo is King.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2016, 11:01:27 PM »
Anona Rosada excellent fruit, number 3 best anona in my list. its literally like eating a strawberry cheesecake tartlet, delicious!

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2016, 02:29:46 AM »
Clay, the best one I've had is a no named, supposed Vietnamese variety I purchased at an Asian Supermarket. It tastes exactly like the holy grail Cherimoya I described above. I will try to visit the supermarket to ask the owners if they will sell me some scions.

My friend that got me into Cherimoyas also has a tree that produces similar quality fruit but it's been nearly 25-30 years since I've had the fruit and that was before I've had the chance to taste all the top tier varieties.

Frank, your fruit looks awesome and your flavor description has me extremely interested and salivating!

Simon

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2016, 10:29:00 AM »
Clay, the best one I've had is a no named, supposed Vietnamese variety I purchased at an Asian Supermarket. It tastes exactly like the holy grail Cherimoya I described above. I will try to visit the supermarket to ask the owners if they will sell me some scions.

My friend that got me into Cherimoyas also has a tree that produces similar quality fruit but it's been nearly 25-30 years since I've had the fruit and that was before I've had the chance to taste all the top tier varieties.

Frank, your fruit looks awesome and your flavor description has me extremely interested and salivating!

Simon

Simon
You would enjoy and it's easy to grow  about the same size as the rest of the Annonas

here is a 360 of anona rosada next to PM atemoya. both were planted as two foot pencil sticks onto booth cherimoya rootstock in May 2014.They get prune 3 x a year to maintain at 10'

« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 02:49:20 PM by JF »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Sweet Tart vs Pierce
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2016, 03:43:35 PM »
ST and Pierce are arguably the best fruits in their genus now we match them against each other to see who wins! ST brix 27, no other mango has the sweet & tart combination. Of the hundredths
of varieties I've tasted in the last three years ST come on top!

Pierce had  brix 26, delightful tutti frutty flavors with perfect acidity balance....
cherimoyas wins easily :)

oh....birula brix 18 taste like the sole of your shoes compare to these two Giants

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 07:09:06 PM by JF »