Author Topic: Deformed leaves on Yellow Jaboticaba  (Read 1849 times)

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
Deformed leaves on Yellow Jaboticaba
« on: July 21, 2016, 06:09:44 PM »
Since my Yellow Jaboticaba came out of dormancy and begain growing again, many of the lew leaves have had come out looking kind of burnt, and as they grow to full size they turn brown and shrivel up.

This plant is about 4 feet tall, came to me from Plantogram in March. I just planted it in the ground 6 weeks ago in a blend of native soil, peat, and compost. I gave it chelated iron yesterday, and maybe that will be all it needs, but maybe not.

Anyone have any thoughts on what might be going wrong here?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Deformed leaves on Yellow Jaboticaba
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 10:51:19 PM »
My guess is, it was the compost you added to the soil.  Maybe it has salt, or too much nitrogen.  here in central FL it's best to just plant into the ground without amending (if you have sandy acid soil).  Not sure how your soil is (alkaline? Clay? Poor water retention?). Maybe just amending with peat is best?

What type of compost did u use?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 12:45:14 AM »
My native soil is a sandy loam with neutral pH. I bought compost from a local company, they make it, not sure what's in it, probably some manure.

The soil is holding water really well, and I check it often, so it's not a dryness issue.

When the tree arrived it looked really beat up, the leaves on it already had lots of black spots and I assumed it was due to their semi-deciduous nature, but maybe it was already stressed?

I have 5 other Jaboticabas planted in the same area and none of them are having issues.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 10:29:41 AM »
It could be the compost. ThE burned looking leaves happens on my older growth only. Top dress with peat moss and maybe shade cloth, they could have got torched going from protected nursery to planted out but usually my Cabelluda like full sun , even young. Either way I'd love to see more pics of your Jabo's planted out.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 05:19:03 AM »
Thats the same thing thing that happened to my red jaboticaba.Maybe it is due to the full sun

Birdman

• San Pedro California USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 04:33:50 PM »
Mine looks perpetually "burnt" Joe, but usually only on older leaves. The compost you used may not have been completely composted and that can burn the roots, leading to problems with the newer leaves. Mine is containerized and give it the micro with iron twice a year or so, and keep the p.h. at about 6 or so. I moved it into full sun about a year ago, outdoors full time. It has responded very well. I made my own mix, peat, coir, sand and perlite and only about 10% well composted compost. The older leaves do get tip burn but I think that is due to mineral content in my local water. I'd say the compost is probably the real culprit here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk